Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Should I Take Mounty To Alaska, Or Rent A Car?

Rent. You going to go through some rough areas for a breakdown. If you do drive it, make sure you have the extra tow miles of AAA.
  2. J

Front Bearings Keep Failing 2WD

Could be the spacers accelerating wear. The hubs were not designed for that. You might be able to get HD bearings & get them pressed into the hubs.
  3. J

Front Bearings Keep Failing 2WD

You have spacers? What is your tire/wheel set up?
  4. J

Any suggestions/personal experiences with life expectancy?

Can't beat time. I'd save $$ & not fix a thing on the Explorer. Do cheap DIY fixes, run it till it dies, & then buy something else.
  5. J

3rd Gen Sub Replacement

Bumping to say thanks. I did the same thing this week. Sub changed models but still the same as far as I can tell. Sounds much better. Long bass lines are not bottoming out like the stock one. It's not going to rattle windows, but inside it sounds good. Note on my radio anyway, I had to...
  6. J

Just paid $456 for a trans service

The estimate was $275. Before they had to get the plug out & get a new one. It's done. I may not even need to do it again since it's a 2nd vehicle. In a year I only put on 5K miles. Impressions are the shifts are smoother. Used to kinda shift hard into 3rd & 4th when on it. Haven't did a full...
  7. J

Just paid $456 for a trans service

I could have done it myself, I was expecting to pay a little but not $456 worth. I even supplied the filter & gasket. Christmas time I didn't want to deal with it. Good news someone must have did it before in 75K miles since the drain bolt was stripped. Shop could get it off but needed a new...
  8. J

2004 Ford Explorer not starting - PATS system?

Just because a battery tests good doesn't make it so. If it ran down, the likelihood of it being the problem is high. Have you tried to jump start it?
  9. J

Engine oil & oil filter for high mileage '05 3rd Gen Explorer

Mobil One 5W20 mine calls for & Motorcraft filter Every 5K. Same as all my Explorer I've had.
  10. J

What's she worth

$4K . Not going to get much back for the cosmetics. Engine rebuild & suspension are good. But then why did it need a rebuild? Mileage? Trans work? Geared? How's the interior? HVAC, electrical? May get 5K from someone looking for a Explore like this. Given the above $4K is as high as I'd go...
  11. J

Timken hubs FYI

These do include the ABS cable & new bolts. Just installed a front set. Part SP470200
  12. J

What diff fluid?

Need to get it done so I guess 75W-90 it is.
  13. J

Value of a manual trans

Right buyer yeah...normal person looking for a used car no. In most cases I'm doing the seller a favor buying the manual because so few want one.
  14. J

What diff fluid?

2WD open diff. Owners manual says 75W-90. But I see 75W-140 being used. Also will Mobil One LS synth work? It seems to have some limited slip additive in it. Thanks
  15. J

3rd gen steering wheel play

I'm only guessing. I have not torn mine a part. I'm just leaving it. Doesn't seem to be dangerous. And it's not a daily driver anyway.
  16. J

Steering column. All I know it as. Any from 02-05 should bolt in. Since you have it apart, maybe try to match up a thick rubber o-ring to wedge in there.
  17. J

OP, I have the same thing on my 04. Not as bad though. Mine moves in & out. Unfortunately there is nothing you can fix with parts. It's an assembly & steering column replacement is the only option. The problem is no one makes a new one. Your options are a used column that may have the same...
  18. J

Bad body mounts?

$500.40. Not too bad I guess. I found the mounts all over at different prices. Shop only charged me $200 in labor. I took the seats out for them. Going to drive for a week & then go over the bolts(all 10) once to make sure they didn't back out. Spot clean the carpet while the seats are out...
  19. J

Bad body mounts?

There is no kit for the 3rd gen I found. Only mounts seem to be Doorman's & they are each. The 4 I need on RA are $390.
  20. J

Bad body mounts?

After closer inspection, position 2 & 3 on both sides are toast. Really sucks I didn't want to go through this again like I did on my Sport...
  21. J

Bad body mounts?

I really thought this was fixed on the 3rd gens.... I've been battling some clunk since I bough the X in January. It's not suspension. 3 mechanics went over that. Now I think it's the #2 position body mounts on the drivers & passenger sides. The pic is blurry, but I can feel about a 1/2 inch gap...
  22. J

Who makes quality aftermarket parts for our vehicles? Mechanics please help

Motorcraft can be made anywhere these days. It's not like 20 years ago.
  23. J

Beeping when turn signal left on

Discovered something. I get a rapid beeping from the cluster area when I leave my turn single on while moving. Can this be disabled? 2 times I was getting off a HW & left the signal on because I was turning the same direction at the end of the off ramp. It's a dummy reminder & I already know...
Back