• Register Today It's free!

Value of a manual trans

mudpie

Reaction score
City, State
Olympia, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
"02 Explorer, XLS
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, or for that matter if there is a "right place" on this forum. But I'll give it a shot.
I've got an '02 with a manual trans that I want to sell, and I'm having trouble determining what it's worth. There's so few of them around for me to look at for pricing, and I'm not sure I want to use the listings on Craigslist as a guide since they're all automatics, and the majority are listed as needing transmission work. I even tried Search Tempest and couldn't find a single one listed anywhere.
What's the value of a manual? I know they're pretty rare, but I also know that "rare" doesn't always translate to "valuable". Could just be something nobody wants, which could be why they stopped making them. I don't know...

Any input appreciated. Pic for attention

W6.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would think the rarity is balanced out by the fact that most people nowadays can’t drive a stick!

I have a friend trying to sell a truck and everyone that looks at it ends up passing on it cause they can't drive a manual transmission. Has the clutch been replaced?

We love them here

Your local Craigslist and Facebook should be used to sort out value and pricing

Blue book is really only a guide anymore
The local market prices are 100% driven by Facebook and Craigslist

I would add $1000 because it’s a 5 speed and then wait for the right buyer

5 speed was only
Made in 2002

Right buyer yeah...normal person looking for a used car no. In most cases I'm doing the seller a favor buying the manual because so few want one.

I would see it as the main selling point
Manual trans = dying art
Manual trans = better mpg, less power loss, less heat created, far cheaper to own and operate / repair
I would be excited about it
There are plenty of people out there who still prefer a stick

1 of 1k also means little to no parts available for driveline repairs. The clutch for the M5R4 is 4x the cost of one for a M5OD-R1 last time I looked.

Shhhhhhhhh we are trying to sell the truck here you are not helping the marketing effort lol

Still cheaper then rebuilding the 5r55eswqtu whatever it is in 2002 gen iii auto!

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, or for that matter if there is a "right place" on this forum. But I'll give it a shot.
I've got an '02 with a manual trans that I want to sell, and I'm having trouble determining what it's worth. There's so few of them around for me to look at for pricing, and I'm not sure I want to use the listings on Craigslist as a guide since they're all automatics, and the majority are listed as needing transmission work. I even tried Search Tempest and couldn't find a single one listed anywhere.
What's the value of a manual? I know they're pretty rare, but I also know that "rare" doesn't always translate to "valuable". Could just be something nobody wants, which could be why they stopped making them. I don't know...

Any input appreciated. Pic for attention

View attachment 447254
I own a 2002 XLS 5-speed. 180,000 miles. I enjoy driving a stick. Have not felt the love from the Ford Motor Company when it comes to finding readily available replacement parts. Someone less patient would have given up a long time ago. Have replaced the clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder/throwout bearing and installed the Southland Clutch kit. Had to get the hydraulic line rebuilt because that part was also NLA. Chain Guides and throwout bearing are currently making death rattles. Probably pulling the engine to replace the chain guides and the throwout bearing very soon.

What clutch/transmission components have you replaced? Is that one of the reasons you're considering a sale?

Paul B

I own a 2002 XLS 5-speed. 180,000 miles. I enjoy driving a stick. Have not felt the love from the Ford Motor Company when it comes to finding readily available replacement parts. Someone less patient would have given up a long time ago. Have replaced the clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder/throwout bearing and installed the Southland Clutch kit. Had to get the hydraulic line rebuilt because that part was also NLA. Chain Guides and throwout bearing are currently making death rattles. Probably pulling the engine to replace the chain guides and the throwout bearing very soon.

What clutch/transmission components have you replaced? Is that one of the reasons you're considering a sale?

Paul B
I'm glad you responded to this thread.

You are right josh there is nothing worse then a unicorn auto, finding bits for a limited model or one year run sucks and can kill the whole deal.

You are right josh there is nothing worse then a unicorn auto, finding bits for a limited model or one year run sucks and can kill the whole deal.
I'm not trying to beat the value of this vehicle down. It being over 20 years old, at some point sooner than later some of the rare parts will need to be replaced. It wouldn't stop me from buying this car, but I'd like to have this information in advance, before buying it.

Knowledge is power. Maybe google will point new potential owners to this thread! Google loves ef

Has the clutch been replaced?
You know how sometimes you go to look at a car and you real quickly get the vibe that the person is a bit shady? Well whatever the opposite of that is, that was the guy I bought it from. He told me his dad and uncle put a clutch in it, and I believe him, but have no paperwork or anything. It's all a crapshoot, but a lot of other stuff he told me lined up with old registrations and other paperwork that was in the truck.

The local market prices are 100% driven by Facebook and Craigslist
I would add $1000 because it’s a 5 speed and then wait for the right buyer
That's about what I was thinking, but it's good to get a second opinion. Plus I figure it's the right time of year to sell a 4x4

2002 XLS 5-speed. 180,000 miles.
Chain Guides and throwout bearing are currently making death rattles. Probably pulling the engine to replace the chain guides and the throwout bearing very soon.

This is also an XLS, 220k, but if the odometer said 110k you'd believe it. It's a long story, but I don't think this thing has ever been off road. Interior is pristine, suspension and steering don't have a single rattle or squeak in them, springs and axle shafts have what appear to be original Ford stickers on them, and I've not heard a single rattle from the timing chain, even when it's sat for a month.

My clutch bearing is making noise though, but the guy I got it from said it had a clutch put in and I believe him. Is it possible that maybe the bearing is one of those hard to find parts? I would assume it would come in the clutch kit, but I suppose it might not. I'm trying to recall a Ranger (I think) that I put a clutch in years ago, and the bearing assembly was hydraulic and didn't come in the kit.

I bought it in May '22. I'm not particularly a Ford person, but at the time it was one of those "I need a vehicle right now" kinda things. I had a wedding to go to in SoCal (I'm in Washington), my car had a blown head gasket, my truck gets 11 mpg, and it was too late to get a flight without paying a ridiculous amount. It served its purpose and I just don't need it anymore.

My clutch bearing is making noise
Kinda hard to ask a premium price with it going to need work soon. $3,500 would be a good starting point

What kind of mpg did it get on the trip to so cal?

I tracked my mileage the whole way. In a little over 2,000 miles of highway driving, the worst was bottom end 19 (something like 19.14) and high was top end 21 (something like 21.87). Variations correlated directly with the terrain, so lower mileage going through the Siskiyou's and higher mileage cruising through a flat central Cal.
I thought it would have been better, but I was doing a pretty steady 70 - 75 mph pretty much the whole way. I assume at 60 it would have been different

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back