Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

4x4 trouble shooting questions

Now this is getting ridiculous. Last night I was playing with the 4x4 again and it worked! It worked in 4x4 high and when I delivered 12V directly to the T-case. The problem is obviously in the T-case because bypassing the GEM didn't make a difference. What could be causing an intermittent...
  2. D

Thanks for the explanation. I am a mechanical engineer so I understand how a PWM signal works and how the VOM is averaging the input. I guess I should have stated my question a little better but you did answer it anyways. I thought that the brown wire was supposed to see 12V 100% duty cycle...
  3. D

Another update: The 4x4 no longer works at all. No flashing lights. I measured 6.5V on the brown wire at the T-case with the truck running in Park and the selector switch set to 4x4 high. I then applied 12V directly to the brown wire and still no 4x4. Am I correct in assuming that something...
  4. D

I doubt its a bad electromagnet or clutch because I can really feel the drive train "bind up" when the 4x4 does work. This tells me that it is transferring a good deal of torque and the mechanicals should be fine. I measured 4.5V on the brown wire at the transfer case under the following...
  5. D

Oh yeah, I forgot, I don't have an NGS sensor available. I think I saw them in the $900 range and above. I guess I am better off bringing to the dealer if I need to hook it up to an NGS scanner.
  6. D

A little clarification: - The 4x4 system works properly when I first start the vehicle. I can feel the difference in turning. I have also put the truck on jack stands and checked that the front drive shaft turns when its supposed to. - After I drive the truck for a few miles the 4x4 no...
  7. D

I'll start off with a little history. My 97 4.0 SOHC control-trac has been experiencing a 4x4 bug. At first it showed up through the 4x4 only working when the truck was cold. After the truck would warm up, it would no longer work. I bought a service manual and followed the pinpoint test in order...
  8. D

Toe in on a 97 explorer?

Thanks a ton for the information and links. I was able to perform an alignment this morning and it worked out really well. The truck no longer pulls to the right!
  9. D

Toe in on a 97 explorer?

Does anyone know the toe in specs for a 97 explorer? Haynes only says what toe in, castor and camber are. Thanks, Dave
  10. D

Tranny options, need advice

I have a 91 4door 4x4 5 speed and the tranny just went. Its going to cost me $1800 for a tranny, which is almost as much as the truck is worth. What in the hell are my options? The truck is driveable, should i just sell the damned thing and buy something else? Thanks Dave
  11. D

What type of tranny fluid on a 91 5 speed

I recently had my clutch redone and the tranny blew on the first long drive with it in. I checked the fluid and they put ATF in it!?! I have heard of ATF being used on manuals before but only on small cars. Is there supposed to be ATF in it or gear lube? Thanks Dave
  12. D

Looking for power try this

Your exhaust and your intake is what is allowing you to run that much of a shot. A stock system would have much more stress because it could not take in air or expel the exhaust fast enough. Don't get too greedy though cause you could easily pop a head gasket or burn up a piston. Use the...
  13. D

where can i find DOT info?

Where can i find info on whats legal and illegal for lighting? Thanks Dave
  14. D

how much for a transfer case selector motor?

I recently had my clutch done by a local shop while i was on vacation. Coincidentally the 4x4 didn't work after they got done with it. I knew i should have done the clutch myself. I brought it back to them because i figured that they had forgotten to hook up the electrical connection. They...
  15. D

Tranny removal

:fire: Ok so today i was going to put a new clutch in my 92. I got the truck up on stands and looked underneath. Oh my god do they pack em in there. I have done plenty of trannies before but this is by far the worst. It would be a whole helluva lot better if i had a hoist, but i don't...
  16. D

Is there anything i should do while i am putting in a new clutch?

Gonna do the clutch this weekend. Is there anything else i should do while i am at it?
  17. D

Clutch same for ranger and explorer?

How do I know the difference between the two trannies?
  18. D

Clutch same for ranger and explorer?

Are clutches the same for a 92 ranger and 92 explorer? 4.0 liter v6 of course. I would assume so but i thought i had better ask to make sure. Thanks
  19. D

How hard is a clutch job?

My clutch is slipping bad. How much work is it to do myself? What do I all need?
  20. D

Fuel leak!!!

I have a 92 4 door and I have a bad fuel leak. It seems to be coming from the top of the tank...where the lines go in. I am guessing that the rubber lines are cracked. Has anyone had any experience with this? Do i have to drop the tank to get at the lines? Is there a special connector...
  21. D

Stock stereo problems

I have 92 4 door with the stock stereo. I just bought the truck and the stereo is acting up on me. For some reason I can't get any volume out of it. Also, it won't eject a tape, i have to pry the tape out. All the wires are connected in back. Is this a common problem with older stereos...
  22. D

HP Estimate

The Headers are going to be your biggest improvement. Probably around 15hp right there. The throttle body won't do much except increase throttle response. Which is kind of nice. The K&N intake and hiflow cat will just allow your engine to breathe a little better and therefore rev higher...
  23. D

hp difference in motors

Its not that big of a difference, thats why i asked whether or not there were other differences. This comes straight from carpoint and consumer reports..... it may be wrong though. 1992 4.0 liter v-6 145hp@5000rpm 180 ft-lbs.@3650rpm bore x stroke 3.5 X 3.14 Displacement(cc) 3982...
  24. D

hp difference in motors

Actually i just found out. The 145 hp 4.0 liter is slightly smaller in displacement. There might be other differences though. Does anyone know if its just the displacement?
  25. D

hp difference in motors

Whats the difference between the 145hp and 160hp 4.0 liter v6's?
Back