• Register Today It's free!

Tranny removal

Dave85zxt

Reaction score
City, State
West Bend, Wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 4.0 SOHC Control Trac
:fire: Ok so today i was going to put a new clutch in my 92. I got the truck up on stands and looked underneath. Oh my god do they pack em in there. I have done plenty of trannies before but this is by far the worst. It would be a whole helluva lot better if i had a hoist, but i don't. From the looks of it I would have to remove the crossover pipe, front and rear driveshafts, t case, before i eve thought about dropping the tranny. Besides all of that, she is pretty rusty underneath so i'd end up torching off the exhaust! So instead of wasting a bunch of time i have decided to bring it to a shop. Whats a good price for labor on a clutch job? I already have the parts.

Thanks
Dave

I don't have my flat rate manual at home but memory is thinking 7 hours or better - and yes. the manifold bolts usually are very, very gnarly to get.

Depending on your location, you may have trouble finding someone to install your parts. You will want them to warranty the job but supplying your own parts means all they need to garrantee is that the bolts are all tight.

Bear in mind that there may be an extra charge if your flywheel needs resurfacing. I get nearly religious since my customer will certainly want to save that money but will have no problem complaining about my lousy job if we don't.

Back