Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

99 cont. 32v 4.6 head removal

It was the timing chain slide. I got it off, but I forgot to remove the bolt from the dipstick tube and pulled it out as well.
  2. G

99 cont. 32v 4.6 head removal

I have been attempting to remove the front head and am stuck. I pulled the head bolts, timing chain, power steering pump, 4 bolts of the front cover and the collecter from the exaust. It appears that it still stuck at the bottom of the head where it buts up the front cover. I don't see any...
  3. G

Name this part "EGR tube to plenum gasket/seal"

Here's what the recently obtained Ford microcat shows. I don't really know more now did I did then.:D It says "sleeve-sensor" (9) 3803209 I guess I'll just have to run to the dealer and pick one up.
  4. G

Name this part "EGR tube to plenum gasket/seal"

Does anyone now the name of the part or the part number? I can't seem to find any info it. Seems like I saw where you can download parts cd's but I don't remember where.
  5. G

Firing problem.

Apparently there was an ID-10-T error (aka idiot) I had the firing order switched.(4 & 5) Not sure how I did that. No more spark knock. Idles a little rough compared to my other vehicles but I think that's how it's always been.
  6. G

Firing problem.

I seem to have a firing problem with cylinders 4 & 5. When I remove the plug wires from cylinders 4 & 5 I have no power loss. to test the wires I switched over wire from cyl 6 and no change. It all started with a rough idle after an engine swap. 96 4.0 What I have done so far...
  7. G

My list of Explorer - "How to" videos

Nice! I like to see video tutorials on forums! Hope to see more of these in the future!:thumbsup: What video editing software did you use? ATTN: Admin There is a BB code that can be added to the Vbulletin software to have videos inbedded into post and threads. Click Here to see an...
  8. G

Vacuum lines

Here's the other side. This vacuum line looks just like the one you are holding in your hand. If there are lines already connected to the globe and regulator, Where do they go from there? I would make sure they arn't dangling somewhere. Edit; Yes I misspelled pressure in the...
  9. G

Vacuum lines

Nice diagram! I'm going off a 96 as well. yes you can find vacuum kits at your local auto parts store. In my experience most components can only fit in just about one place when they are in place. I have also found it is best to take pics before moving or disconnecting anything. I...
  10. G

Vacuum lines

They wrap around the back of your engine and under your coil and intake and under the wire harness. like mentioned above. The short one goes to the fuel pressure regulator( the pic you posted) and the other one goes to the globe.
  11. G

Going to replace clogged fuel injectors.(questions)

I'm guessing since the plenum gaskets are basicly o rings (no paper gasket used) that this set is the ones for the fuel rail. Link 1 Or do I need to get this set? link 2
  12. G

Going to replace clogged fuel injectors.(questions)

I did an engine swap(my first) in a 96 xpl 4.0 Seems that I have 2 clogged injectors. I tried a can of seafoam in 10gal of gas with no luck. I have the old injectors off the seized engine and figured I would just use those. just change the o rings? I'm going to replace the lower intake...
  13. G

plug wire question.

sure enough they covered in oil and no gas.:mad:
  14. G

plug wire question.

no power loss on 4&5. I switched the 5 & 6 wires and still no power loss on 5 I hooked them up to a spare plug and they all spark so it I guess it isn't the wires. seems 4 & 5 isn't firing at all. I checked all the fuel injectors yesterday and they had 17.6oms. They could be...
  15. G

plug wire question.

96 4.0 OHV I tested all my plug wires with a meter and they tested good.(only a year old) When I remove them from the coil when the engine running, they all spark like crazy when I remove them but the idle doesn't change when I remove the wires for cyl 4 & 5. Plugs are new. Does this...
  16. G

Swapped in a junkyard 4.0l OHV

I have read a lot that numerous fixes such as PB Blaster, trans fluid and Marvel Mystery oil in the spark plug holes. The one thing they all had in common was No WD-40. I would guess it would be best to let it sit over night if you can. keep us updated.
  17. G

Swapped in a junkyard 4.0l OHV

That was going to be my first question:D It takes both hands to turn it over. I tried to use a 1/2" drive to trurn it with one hand but that proved to be more af a problem controlling how far it turns. Take your time and make sure you turn it clockwise only.:thumbsup:
  18. G

How to replace upper intake manifold gaskets

I'm confused about the upper intake gasket/gaskets. Seems like sometimes they are there and others not. (96 4.0 OHV) During my engine swap when I removed the upper intake the 3 orings/gaskets were stuck to a paper gasket on top of the fuel rail. I put them back into the upper and they were...
  19. G

Camshaft sensor different?

I cleaned the MAF and the IAC, seemed to smooth out slightly but that's it.
  20. G

I don't remember all the one s I had but after replacing the EGR the only code I got was for the dpfe sensor wich I only got aftter it died. I guess there was an idiot move on my part. I pulled the intake to see if the orings might be bad an realized the weren't there. They were stuck...
  21. G

4.0 engine sputter/surge

When I pulled of the cat bolts I just sparayed them with PB Blaster and used a cheater pipe on a wratchet. I got 2 of them off fairly easy and broke the third. Hit or miss I guess. For rounded bolts I use the irwin bolt extractors. They sure have got me out of bind from time to time.
  22. G

Well I got it on. I think wasn't bent just mechanic error:D It still isn't idling right. I put a can of sea foam it to try to clean it out a bit.
  23. G

I went to auto zone to ge the codes checked and most of pointed to the EGR. I couldn't get the egr off the tube so I went to remove the tube. Some how I twisted the crap out it so it's trash. The tube on the original engine is bent so it doesn't fit right(slightly out of whack). Should I...
  24. G

I just got done tightening the exaust. now it sounds better seems like everytime a start it it get a little better. No major headaches exactly. I expected there to be some problems and all in all it has been better than I expected. Looks like I might have a new hobby. Thanks all the...
  25. G

just droped the only time it died while driving was at a stop light. when I first started it up this morning it would idle up from time to time. It ran a good 15min before it finally died.I only had to keep my foot on it for a min. or so. yesterday when trying to start it it would run...
Back