Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Eltee

Water Leak

My 2013 was just discovered to be suffering from this only recently. I seldom have the 3rd row up but this week we had a tot sitting in a car seat in the 3rd row, driver's side and the seat belt was dripping on her. I read several threads and I'm going to look at leakage from the roof rail/s...
  2. Eltee

For Sale 5th Gen Amerihood - Functional Ram Air

Is this still available? Where is it located? BTW, which cargo rack / bar light are you using? Clean looking setup!
  3. Eltee

Slow Speed Clicking / Clopping Noise

Similar but not exactly and not when turning but going straight. However, close enough to have me look into that possibility. THANK YOU.
  4. Eltee

Slow Speed Clicking / Clopping Noise

2013 XLT. Well maintained. Has a click/clopping noise (actually sounds like a horse walking) at low speeds. Prominent in quiet area like a parking lot or when driving close to a wall. Synched to speed. Not super loud. Did a search here, nothing quite applicable. Any advice appreciated.
  5. Eltee

Time for tires

I recently had my XLT shod with Goodyear Eagles. My Michelin Latitudes were getting old and worn and moving to the desert (near Las Vegas) put them over the edge as they started to crack. The combination of steelies and the Goodyears should be fine for occasional off pavement exploring in...
  6. Eltee

2013 Ford Explorer XLT Rear camera replacement

I am replacing the rear deck lid trim piece on my 2013 XLT which currently has a functioning camera. The replacement trim piece comes with a camera. Am I correct in assuming, based on this thread, that the new camera is not plug and play and that I should transfer my existing camera to the new...
  7. Eltee

DRL??? Can they be turned off?

The dealer turned off the running lights and having the interior lights turn on when the door is opened when the light knob is in the far left position. The puddle lights are also off in this configuration.
  8. Eltee

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Any "special" goodies in the trunk / spare tire compartment lid? Locking lid? Did DHS use the ballistic door panels? Here's what our unmarked PIUs looked like, same color as yours. Hats off to you for finding such a pristine looking PIU.
  9. Eltee

Did you have any extra holes on the pillars (spotlight/s), roof (antenna), or interior (lights, siren control, microphone), etc. to deal with? It looks super clean, a real beauty.
  10. Eltee

We are in our second year of living in Henderson, Nevada. A hotter, much drier climate than the California coast. People warned us that the local environment was tough on batteries and tire rubber. Well, my venerable Michelins did start to crack and dry out (after 3.5 years) and my battery was...
  11. Eltee

100k maintenance

True about the leasing but I bolt on too many doodads and drill too many holes in my vehicles. I just had a 3/4 inch hole cut in the roof for a GMRS / HAM radio antenna and drilled holes in the dash for the radio, etc.
  12. Eltee

100k maintenance

My XLT is coming up on 100k mileage. One independent shop said at that point plugs, fluid changes, inspect steering, etc. I checked with the Ford dealership service department, their "computer" came up with pretty much the same. It has never had the coolant flush, plugs, or tranny flush...
  13. Eltee

Mounting Under Dash 2 Way Radio

Although it looks as if the radio might get in the way, no leg contact or interference at all. Lots of clearance.
  14. Eltee

OK, I ordered a nice and inexpensive set of non-marring auto trim and panel tools from Amazon. They worked great. I worked the panel tool around the edge and popped all the fasteners with NO damage or marks. Photo shows the underside of the panel, green "c;lips" are the fasteners and you can see...
  15. Eltee

I'm hoping there are just a couple of clips holding the top of this piece on to the framework under the dash.
  16. Eltee

I have. I used it on my Sport Trac when I had it on the side of the console. I used that industrial strength "Quake Grip" type velcro but this radio is heavier than my old one and I am concerned about it coming loose on rough roads, etc. If I can't hard mount it under the dash I will try the...
  17. Eltee

I did consider a side of the console mount. I did that with my Explorer Sport Trac and it worked pretty well. I don't know how to access the inside of the console on the XLT to bolt the bracket in. Right now my dilemma is that I have removed the two bolts that hold the lower, under steering...
  18. Eltee

I need to mount a two way radio in my XLT. I searched the HAM and CB threads here but nothing really matched what I need. The radio I am using does not have a remote controller or detachable head, it's an old school one piece Motorola. I am thinking under the dash to the right of the steering...
  19. Eltee

Larger Tires on OEM & Aftermarket Wheels

I searched and solicited input on this site before pulling the trigger and getting new tires for my XLT. My old tires were Michelin Latitude, M&S rated, 245/60/R18 and they served me well. They needed replacing so I asked here about upsizing, etc. I have PIU steelies. At the local tire store...
  20. Eltee

Low Profile Rooftop Cargo Basket

I did a search, nothing definitive. Looking for a rooftop cargo basket but one that is not too tall and does not extend beyond the width of the Explorer. I do not have the crossbars and wondering if it is better to buy OEM crossbars or get them from the cargo basket supplier. I want the overall...
  21. Eltee

PIU hubcaps 18”

THANKS. I'm gonna' tinker around with what I have for a little bit more before I spend money on different lug nuts although mine keep the little Ebay bought sedan Interceptor caps on tight.
  22. Eltee

PIU hubcaps 18”

Do the clip on to the lugs and grip the circumference of the inside wheel or ??? I'd consider trying these out if they mount differently.
  23. Eltee

PIU hubcaps 18”

I have a set of these and I cannot get them to stay on. There are clips to grab the shouldered lug nuts and some grippers to catch the inner rim but I have never been able to mount them. The lugs are right, I imagine, because the little center caps lock on tight. Is there a trick to getting them on?
  24. Eltee

Mystery Hole

Thanks, mine is not so equipped.
  25. Eltee

Mystery Hole

So I probably DON'T want to be poking a cable through there??
Back