Low Profile Rooftop Cargo Basket | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Low Profile Rooftop Cargo Basket

Eltee

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
In a high desert city not far from ghost towns ...
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
4WD
I did a search, nothing definitive.

Looking for a rooftop cargo basket but one that is not too tall and does not extend beyond the width of the Explorer. I do not have the crossbars and wondering if it is better to buy OEM crossbars or get them from the cargo basket supplier. I want the overall height as low as possible. Willing to pay for a higher end basket if need be. Cargo will mostly be light loads in soft bags or soft sided luggage.

THANK YOU for any input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The factory "aero" bars are not gonna hold anything really. You want some serious bars that bolt/lock onto the roof rails for any loads. Plus anyone can just unscrew the factory bars. I have the Malone cross bars that lock/clamp onto the rails. I use it for my kayak which is definitely over 40lbs and I have the sunroof... Make sure your bars are spaced at least 40" apart to spread load out evenly and you will be fine

If you have a sunroof Ford says do not exceed 40lbs of weight on the roof. Non sun roof is 80lbs but thats just going by the "book" haha

I added a Rhino Rack system on my 18. It does a great job for kayaks and paddle boards. I am looking at a carrier as well. The bars I have can hold 165 pounds (I think).

I have the dual glass as well.

The factory "aero" bars are not gonna hold anything really. You want some serious bars that bolt/lock onto the roof rails for any loads. Plus anyone can just unscrew the factory bars. I have the Malone cross bars that lock/clamp onto the rails. I use it for my kayak which is definitely over 40lbs and I have the sunroof... Make sure your bars are spaced at least 40" apart to spread load out evenly and you will be fine

If you have a sunroof Ford says do not exceed 40lbs of weight on the roof. Non sun roof is 80lbs but thats just going by the "book" haha
From the 2013 Police Interceptor Owner's Manual;
Note: The maximum recommended load is 100 lb (45 kg), evenly distributed on the crossbars.
It makes no mention of a different weight capacity with a moonroof. The retail unit is the same.

Peter

Back