Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Clicking sound from under vehicle (97 5.0 AWD)

Well I FINALLY decided to do something about the noise. I went ahead and replaced the front driveshaft ($220 for part, and 45min to swap). And it turns out the sound was in fact coming from the joint on the transfer case side of the shaft. When I took the old shaft off, I could see that the...
  2. M

The noise is still there, and just keeps sounding nastier and nastier. I am 95% sure it is inside the transfer case. The only way to know for 100% sure, is to jack up the truck on four jack-stands, put it in drive with the engine running, and listen to the transfer case housing with a...
  3. M

Anyone have experience with Blaupunkt

I recently have owned a Blaupunkt Casablanca (in a previous car) and a Blaupunkt Hollywood w/5 disc changer (In the Explorer). Both became troublesome within 3-12 months. Casablanca: -Volume control stopped functioning correctly after 9 months. -Even if the internal amp is not being used...
  4. M

5.0 Headers - A new Idea

One would think someone could sell enough Xplorer 5.0 GT-40P headers to recoup their costs. With a vast number of stock exhaust manifold failures, and ford asking ~$400 per side for the privlidge of replacing them with super restictive OE units... I would pay $300-$350 right now for a set of...
  5. M

Wheel bearings or CV Joints??? If it is most noticable when the steering wheel is turned, it's the CV Joints.
  6. M

The more I think about it the more I think it sounds just like a dissintigrated ball bearing (that crunchy, crackly, clicking noise). I guess it could still be a bad u-joint, but if thats not it, it probably something like a transfer case output shaft bearing (although the output shaft seal is...
  7. M

It sounds like it is coming from either the front or rear drive shaft U-joints, or the transfer case (I hope it's not the latter). It makes the sound when the vehicle is rolling. I did a search and found a few old posts referring to this exact sound, but the cause was never identified. BTW...
  8. M

question on amp location

I was able to mount two JBL amps, a P80.4 and a BP600.1 in the right quarter panel. There is no way it could readily be done in the left quarter. The washer resevior, various electronics, spare tire jack and fuel filler neck reside there. But the right side is pretty much empty if the stock...
  9. M

Nope, it's not the manifolds. I know because they off-course are ticking too :banghead: . But this is a very different noise, from a different area. (Actually the engine could be off and I could still hear this tick if it were rolling).
  10. M

I have a 97 5.0 AWD with ~85,000 on the odo. If the windows are down or a door is open I can hear a nasty clicking/ticking metallic noise coming from under the body when the Ex is rolling slowly while idling. It seems to be coming from the area of the transfer case. I suspect (hope) it is a...
  11. M

Before and Middle of a '97 EB 5.0 AWD

Did you measure the truck before and after the shackles were installed to see how much of a lift it gave you?
  12. M

Thanks guys! mjjohnston, I paid about $938.95 shipped from Four Wheel Parts
  13. M

B&A 285/75 MTR and Herculiner!!

I really like the blacked out look, awesome!
  14. M

ummmm, not working... NEVERMIND...
  15. M

I still have much to do, stereo wise, but here it is as of now. Before: After TT/WAR153 and 31x10.5 on Eagle 589 15x8 Here's more on cardomain.com http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=172865&page=4
  16. M

Is this normal??? (just did torsion twist)

I installed the WAR153 shackles first, with the plan of just adjusting the front to match the back in regards of lift. To get the vehicle leveled out I had to crank the drivers side bar as far as it would go, I never even touched the passenger side! And the passenger side is still higher...
  17. M

no good sound from my subs!

It sounds like you have one sub wired out of phase causing them to cancel each other out. Just check your wiring, and as a quick test, reverse the polarity on only one sub simply by switching the positive and negative leads at the amp. Hope this helps.
  18. M

4.5-5" Torsion Twist pictures

Nice truck, but the stickers just look out of place.
  19. M

New Explorer owner, what kind of things should I be checking out/fixing?

Really, that statement is true for any, and everything, even us!
  20. M

94 EB transformed into a grabage truck

Maybe they were too lazy to try to find specs for that year model, so they just copied the specs from a late model Ex, i.e., SOHC 4.0
  21. M

Small space sub

The US Acoustics USX amps are some of the best "Bang for the Buck" amps available, and Crutchfield has them on special right now.
  22. M

Can I retrofit a 98+ steering wheel on a 97 X

Just bought a '97 Explorer EB, we looked at 3 '97s, all of them had the padding inside of the leather loose. Also, my daily driver is a '99 Ranger with a nice fat comfortable steering wheel, it's not thin like the '97 X, is it a direct swap to install a later model steering wheel? Mike T -97...
  23. M

Are Explorer auto trannys bad?

I don't know if that's in his job description, LOL!!! Just joking of course.
Back