Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Should I take this 2004 XLT?

I purchased a 2010 VW Jetta (leather fully loaded 2.5) to try to make my 2004 explorer "last longer" because it was at the 130k age where the starter, alternator, etc left me stranded in the wilderness..not good... I owned the two for about 3 years until I got completely frustrated trying to...
  2. B

Ten year ode to explorer

Haha thanks! It's only been two days but so far so good! The truck sat 5 months at the dealer so getting it broken back in a bit and putting some miles on her. I test drove Chevy, ford, and the ram and spent 3 or so months searching and deciding and seriously for the price, the power you get...
  3. B

Ten year ode to explorer

Ive been driving explorers for 10 years. 98 5.0 and 04 4.0. After a couple years of no car payments and bigger need for a pickup truck than SUV I decided to purchase the explorers replacement. Traded in my commuter car for the commute I no longer have due to moving closer to work, and purchased...
  4. B

Holy axle seals

I couldn't go ford again, I've been a back to back explorer owner and ford has just let me down way too much. I know all makes have their problems, but i just encountered may too many with ford. Dodge, eh I've never really been a fan for some reason. My grandfather always had a chevy, my minds...
  5. B

Holy axle seals

brought it back to the dealer, they removed the axle and said that there are burrs on the end of the axle, it is worn out and causing the seal to fail. They're exact words when I asked them to check the axle a few months ago, "we checked the axle for burrs and it looks to be in good shape!"...
  6. B

4 low won't engage

On my 04 Low gave out a couple years ago..Whenever I put it in low a fuse under the hood blows. Hi and auto 4x4 works perfect. I just don't use low, don't really have a need for it
  7. B

Holy axle seals

Yeah I told them it's been replaced, all have been replaced. There is no whining while driving, still get 20mpg on the highway and it drives great, no noises anywhere. 128k, only 30k on the transmission
  8. B

Holy axle seals

3 months ago replaced front right axle seal for the 4th time since owning this explorer. The last fix (done at ford dealer) lasted 1,900 miles before it started spraying gear oil all over my undercarriage. I had them test and inspect the front right axle itself and everything checked out fine...
  9. B

wierd noise after changing rear brakes

Its the dust shield, bend it back a bit or wait until it just wears out lol. Clicking when applying brakes would be needing some caliper slides that may have fell off when you were doing the brakes. Just did all this myself as well, had the same problems as you. The dust shield is stupid on...
  10. B

rear axle seal leak 2003 explorer

I replaced all 4 axle seals twice in my explorer, then recently after 2 years and only 15kish miles one started leaking again. I opened the fill plug of the front differential, sucked all the fluid out, replaced it with new gear oil and added blue devil oil stop leak that says it works for axle...
  11. B

How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny????

Agreed on the fluid change and problems...I was having zero problems with my tranny in my 04, flushed at 85k and transmission went at 88K. Spent an arm and a leg for a remanufactured ford transmission at the dealer and knock on wood there is 125k on the truck now and all is well. Engine oil...
  12. B

Whats with leaky axle seals in explorers???

All work has been done at the ford dealer so assuming oe everything. vehicle 100% stock. No lift, thinking of getting a set of rancho quick lifts though to replace all the shocks/springs. hmm. 124,950 on the dash, new trans at 88k. Engine still seems strong, love the damn truck.
  13. B

Whats with leaky axle seals in explorers???

Ive owned two explorers, 98 5.0 and 04 4.0. The first I replaced all 4 one at a time, and my 2004 I have all replaced once, now they are all going again one at a time!!!!! Its been so common every time I change my oil I look for a leaky axle seal. Fluid in differentials has been changed, I just...
  14. B

-10 threw truck into test mode??

hasn't done it since. Battery is about 2 years old, alternator I just replaced myself about a year ago. Im blaming the -10. Should I be using the plug in the front of my truck when it is this cold? I have a canadian made explorer with the block warmer (or is it not a block warmer? Does it heat...
  15. B

-10 threw truck into test mode??

OK so i have owned my '04 4.0 for about 7 years now. We've had our ups and downs but everything over 100k has been great (currently at 125k new trans at 88k). Its not my daily driver anymore, I only use it in the winter time and to tow a boat in the summer. Anyways, the other morning it was...
  16. B

emergency brake squeak while driving

let me add I have brand new rear rotors and brakes installed. It was doing this before installation as well.
  17. B

emergency brake squeak while driving

Hey guys, At speeds up to 40mph i have an annoying squeak coming from my drivers side rear wheel. I believe i have narrowed it down to the E brake that doesn't work. If i press on the e brake pedal while driving the squeak changes tone but doesn't engage. When I release the brake it goes back...
  18. B

4 X 4 will not disingage

Same thing happened here. My 4x4 motor was blowing the 30amp fuse under the hood that goes to it. Replaced the fuse and it shifted back fine. A few months later I forgot that that happened and it happened again, replaced the fuse again and haven't put it in low since. High works fine
  19. B

4wd transfer case motor replacement help

Hey guys, Finally have some money to put into the old explorer and I wanted to address the issue I am having with my 4 wheel drive. I have posted on here in the past and I think I narrowed it down to my 4x4 motor having a short inside. It shifts into 4x4 high fine (but may be stuck in...
  20. B

Gas Mileage Drop after fuel filter???

My 04 gets maybe 16 highway and 9-10 city right now in the upstate ny winter. During the summer it will get 18 or so highway and 11 city. 6 years ago when I got it it got 21mpg highway in the summer and 15 city. Im upset with the decline in gas mileage, but the truck is 10 years old. Its been...
  21. B

Transmission: New, Re-built, or Re-manufacutered?

My trans went out 3 years ago on my 04 4.0. Had only 88k miles and was flushed around 75k. Replaced it with the remanufactured from ford with the 3 yr/36k warranty. Have had no problems with the new trans, seems solid. Ive since replaced the explorer as my daily driver and only use it on...
  22. B

2004 Explorer chirp while driving...

I am friends with a shop owner, my brake system is checked extensively and I have it flushed every year and its well maintained, my truck just has always had an emergency brake problem. Ive brought it two places and spent 600+ dollars on emergency brake repair and it always does the same thing...
  23. B

Def not the AC clutch, but could most definitely be the parking brake. The emergency brake hasnt worked in years. If I press it it slows the truck down, but not full force. Actually ive owned two ford explorers and the emergency brake never worked in either of them, even after spending a couple...
  24. B

2005 Explorer Eddie Bauer back up warning

mine stopped working 3 years ago. Never bothered me as I usually tend to look while i am backing up lol
  25. B

Hey guys, I own a 2004 explorer that i retired as my daily driver in the spring of this year. She has 118k on her and is in pretty damn good condition. I cant get rid of her because I need her to tow a small fishing boat, and get me places in the mountains in the winter time. But all in...
Back