Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Z

Ultimate build???

I have read that outer parts from TTB Dana 44s will fit older Straight axles if you replace from the ball joints out. If so, could I use TTB outers to get ABS?. If I use the 44 with the 8.8 and a modified 95-01 explorer harness will it all plug in?
  2. Z

Ultimate build???

Back when I was looking at just upgrading the tranny, I remember finding info on how to put R2 parts in an R1 case. I think that is basically what the R1 HD is if I remember correctly. The R1 & R2 have many interchangable parts and both have variations in shifter position and even cases. I had a...
  3. Z

Ultimate build???

I liked the way it sat when I bought it with 31s. I figure I will start there. Since I may have more lift, I can probably go bigger, but not much to start with.
  4. Z

Starters & flywheel teeth

I have a 99 5.0 Explorer engine that I want to mate to an 88 M5ODR2 out of an F-250 4x4. My flywheel options for a 50 oz imbalance flywheel appear to have a 164 tooth and 157 tooth option. Will either of these work with the nifty compact 99 Explorer starter? I know most older Fords had a...
  5. Z

Ultimate build???

Thanks for all the info. I haven't had enough time to respond, but I've been reading it all. I agree that the 5.0 is more power than I probably need, but I wanted the v8 tranny choices. All the V6 options seem weak. The Mazda tranny I got for $50 is stronger than any stock v6 version and...
  6. Z

Ultimate build???

Reworked question Sorry again. I rushed a question that I should have presented in a more thought out manner and chose words with two meanings to top it off. I was actually trying to narrow my options a bit and meant "ultimate" as in final - not as in biggest and baddest. I also forgot to...
  7. Z

Ultimate build???

Sorry about that. I was posting during lunch break and was in a hurry. I am on break again and will wait till I'm home with more time to rework my questions. Ziggy
  8. Z

Transfer case interchangability question

If the 4.0 is like the 5.0, the 2000 will not work. 95 thru 97 the speedo hooked up to the t-case. 99 up to 2001 the t-case has no place to attach the speedo cable. 98 I'm not sure about, but it is easy to see if the case is machined to accept a speedo cable. I have been told the newer ones...
  9. Z

Ultimate build???

It has been too long. My B2 has been sitting and I have been slowly gathering parts. I'm finally getting close.:D Now I just have to figure out how to make it all work together. :confused: My parts list is: 99 Explorer GT40P 5.0 V8, 88 F-250 Mazda M5R2 5-speed, 79 F-150 NP 205, Early Bronco...
  10. Z

31" tires on a bronco with no lifts

One odd fact to consider is that the Bronco II is not very stable when it gets a flat. The larger the tires, the less stable when one goes. I picked up a screw in a rear tire running 235/75 15 tires and the handling got scary quick. If you plan to do a lot of flying down windy roads, you may...
  11. Z

sputter between 40 & 50 mph

I have a 96 V8 AWD. It tends to sputter between 40 and 50 MPH. If I push the button on the shifter and take it out of OD, it is much improved. Sometimes it feels like a shifting problem and at other times it feels like a miss in the engine. Anyone have a clue? I was guessing it may be a sensor...
  12. Z

Drivers window problem

Budwich, I was just describing the feature because I drew a blank on the name of it. At first it was an intermittant problem where it would not go down, but if it did up was never a problem. Now it does not go down at all. I will try to tear into it tomorrow and I plan to take pics of the relay...
  13. Z

Drivers window problem

Thanks everyone. If there are multiple relays, will this one be numbered or labeled? I did not see anything about these relays in my owner's manual; just the ones under the hood. And the only other information I have is a piece of #@*! Haynes Manual. It is a 96 Explorer XLT and I do have a...
  14. Z

Drivers window problem

None of the other threads I searched seem to address the same problem. My drivers window on a 96 XLT has had an intermittant problem where the drivers window will not go down. All other windows work fine and if it goes down, it goes up just fine. Logic tells me that the automatic feature on the...
  15. Z

AWD Differential Replacement

rizzjc, My understanding is that it makes all the same noises without the driveshaft being installed, which would rule out the driveshaft being the culprit. Did I miss understand the situation???
  16. Z

5.0 t-case interchange

Thanks, That's a bit of a surprise, but since it also has the rear axle already installed out of the same vehicle, I'm glad it isn't the other way around. I also realized that the donor is a 99 with a 98 build date, incase it changes things. :confused:
  17. Z

5.0 t-case interchange

I just bought a 96 5.0 Explorer. It needs a t-case. I got a deal on one from a 98 5.0 that I previously got parts from. The connection from the front driveshaft to the t-case is different. Will using the front driveshaft from the donor vehicle fix the problem, or will I find other issues when I...
  18. Z

AWD Differential Replacement

Turning sounds like front axle cv joints. Acceleration sounds like t-case. I just bought one that does that under acceleration. The t-case is shot.
  19. Z

95-01 lockout hubs???

Thanks. I was afraid of that. It does seem odd that the after market manufacturers haven't come up with one, but it might cost too much to make at an afordable price.
  20. Z

95-01 lockout hubs???

I just got a 96 5.0 Explorer. Does anyone know if the stock front axle can be modified to accept lockout hubs? I'm not sure that converting the AWD to 4x4 would help with milage much without locking out the front drive train.
  21. Z

V8 Swap

If I remember correctly, 95 4 door 2wd Eddie Bauer was the first v8 Explorer. I believe the 96 to 01 are all 4 door AWD. All are automatic. I only recall seeing 4 door AWD v8's, but some odd combination might exist that I have not seen or read about. I just bought a 96 v8 off of Ebay with a bad...
  22. Z

Junkyard guide

good idea Except for a few odd balls, mostly newer, Ford only has a few basic designs for alternators. The main difference is the way the rear of the housing is rotated to fit the mounting position in different vehicles and the amperage. You can basically upgrade to anything with the same type...
  23. Z

Top 5 Mpg Mods?

I'm ex-Navy. I used to make the N2 for the aircraft tires. They can't run air because it explodes on carrier landings from the sudden heating and expansion. I knew a few guys who ran N2 in their car tires. It maintains a much steadier pressure, but it can be expensive (unless you can get it free...
  24. Z

5.0 distributorless with 5 speed?????????

Sorry for causing world war III I'm sorry to start such a dispute. I probably should have posted somewhere else on the site, but most people who do the swap live where inspections and emissions testing doesn't exist and they opt for carburators and probably Duraspark II ignition. I figured that...
  25. Z

5.0 distributorless with 5 speed?????????

anything else I missed I have one vehicle with OBD II, But I haven't wrenched on it much yet. The whole system is a strange new world for me. A decade ago when I got my first EEC IV vehicle I thought the same thing, but I managed to figure it out eventually. I knew about the PATS, or at least...
Back