‘94 Radiator Leak Below Area of Cap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

‘94 Radiator Leak Below Area of Cap

luvmonterey

Reaction score
City, State
Monterey, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Hi all. I have been chasing a slow radiator leak that is leaving small puddles under the truck. On the back of my radiator on the driver’s side, just below the neck/cap, is about a 1” nut with threaded connectors that attaches to a metal line. It appears that coolant is leaking from behind the 1” nut and running down the back of the radiator. I’m not sure what the purpose of this metal line is, but there is also one close to the bottom of the radiator. Has anyone had this issue, and if so, can I tighten the nut or do anything to fix the coolant seepage? Is it time for a new radiator? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, automatic transmission fluid goes through a loop in the radiator for cooling. That's what those two lines are. I don't know exactly how that connection is set up, so I won't give you blind advice on fixing it. Perhaps someone else will chime in... I just wanted to answer the question I could. Good Luck!

Yeah, automatic transmission fluid goes through a loop in the radiator for cooling. That's what those two lines are. I don't know exactly how that connection is set up, so I won't give you blind advice on fixing it. Perhaps someone else will chime in... I just wanted to answer the question I could. Good Luck!
Ah, so those are the lines that feed the transmission fluid cooler on the other side. That makes things more complicated and decreases my chances of being able to fix it I think. Any other thoughts?

ok, if I have this right, the radiator itself has a female thread. A brass adaptor screws into that... the adaptor looks something like this:

800-753-003.jpg

And, then, your line screws into the left side of this adaptor as we are looking at it.

Now, it would seem to me like if you have coolant leaking from the right side of this adaptor, then you could loosen the transmission line so as not to twist it, and try to tighten this adaptor a bit.

If that doesn't work, I'd try to remove the adaptor and replace it. The're $7.00 at O'reillys. If it won't come out easily, and I think it might not because of the red stuff they put on the threads, then I'd take it to a radiator shop, rather than risk damaging the radiator itself.

I'd bear in mind that a new radiator is an option, they are about $130. This may be cheaper than taking it to the shop.

If the tanks are plastic, you need a new radiator. The fittings have worked loose, it happens. Catch it now before something breaks and you have coolant in the transmission fluid.

If the tanks are plastic, you need a new radiator. The fittings have worked loose, it happens. Catch it now before something breaks and you have coolant in the transmission fluid.
Thanks. I will check to see if the tank is plastic.

ok, if I have this right, the radiator itself has a female thread. A brass adaptor screws into that... the adaptor looks something like this:

800-753-003.jpg

And, then, your line screws into the left side of this adaptor as we are looking at it.

Now, it would seem to me like if you have coolant leaking from the right side of this adaptor, then you could loosen the transmission line so as not to twist it, and try to tighten this adaptor a bit.

If that doesn't work, I'd try to remove the adaptor and replace it. The're $7.00 at O'reillys. If it won't come out easily, and I think it might not because of the red stuff they put on the threads, then I'd take it to a radiator shop, rather than risk damaging the radiator itself.

I'd bear in mind that a new radiator is an option, they are about $130. This may be cheaper than taking it to the shop.
Thanks. Where I live here in Ca, replacing the radiator myself will be much less expensive than taking it to a shop even for a small repair.

Back