01 Explorer Sport Rear Seat issue, Is this possible? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 Explorer Sport Rear Seat issue, Is this possible?

relli843

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 explorer sport
Hello,

I have a 2001 Explorer sport, which is in great running condition. My issue is that I now have 3 kids and the backseat only has 2 seat belts. Is it possible to pull a backseat from an 01 sport trac and put it in to replace? Or any other make model that has 3 seatbelts? I know I can't just add a third belt because of the fact that the backseat of the explorer sport is basically two separate seats with the belts mounted in the middle. Any remedy for this or am I just going to have to suck it up and start looking for a new car??

I can't answer your question for certain, but I think you can do that. The Sport Trac rear seats are also 2 separate seats, but are like 70/30 not 50/50 like the Sport seats. You'll have to see if the floor pans have the appropriate mounting points. By the way, I think the rear seats from any 4 door Explorer 2001 or older are the same as the '01-05 Sport Trac except for the upholstery.

IF you determine the seats will bolt into the Sport, be sure to get the seat belt mounts as they are not part of the seat, but bolt directly to the floor as a separate part. At least the one on the driver's side between the 2 seats is a separate part with the female ends for 2 belts attached. I found this out by checking my '01 Sport Trac earlier. I assume the same is true for the other side, but I didn't check it since we have a car seat strapped in on that side.

I have recently joined, I don't have a reply but since your talking about rear seats, I have an 04 sport trac. Somehow the passenger side rear seat will not fold down. I have an appointment with the dealer but would rather fix it myself. If you or anyone else has had this issue, I would be very grateful for any help.

Back