'08 ford explorer unusual power lock issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'08 ford explorer unusual power lock issue

Bob J

Reaction score
City, State
SCS, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer
'08 Ford Explorer Limited. Just purchased so I do not know what led up to this problem.

Basically, Power locks will lock from any switch. Will not unlock from any switch or with the fob. Just tonight I accidentally got it to unlock(not through the switch) so I know the actuators are working. The only way to get the unlock function to work is by having the key in the ignition, lock the doors and close the door. The lock-out prevention kicks in and unlocks all doors.

Brought to to a *shady* repair shop where they charged me $80 and said "it isnt getting a signal to the power junction box" -- which is pretty obvious, and then requested 3 more hours of diagnostic labor to look into the junction box itself.

Does this sound like a broken wire between the driver door and the junction box? Does the passenger side switch connect through the driver side before going to the junction box? I know the switch itself is good as I bought a replacement and it still does not unlock.

Any suggestions on how to proceed with diagnosing this myself without breaking the bank? Thanks for any input.

The drivers door normally route power to the others somehow on most vehicles. As there is also an override for windows as well at the drivers control.
You may need to get a schematic for the info. I reference a Chilton shop manual at my local library which is online for them.

Was it working for you before and how long was it ok?
Anything done to the vehicle since.

It was this way when I bought the car. The only thing that looks out of place that could be related is there is an aftermarket remote start installed(and I'm no expert but the install looks kinda sloppy with wires hanging down a bit). As most remote starts do have features for locking mechanism for their fob I'm curious if it is possible that they wired just the unlock portion wrong. Would such a kit run basically from all switches to master driver switch, then through the remote start, then to the junction box?

Have you not used the Remote units FOB ? It is IMO extremely likely to be the problem. If its a name brand unit you might get a shop that installs them to fix it or simply remove the remote start all together. The are the source of many vehicle electrical issues.

Back