Jon And Sheri's Vitamin D Wagon | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jon And Sheri's Vitamin D Wagon

As she sits now,
017.jpg

019.jpg

015.jpg

013.jpg

018.jpg

But it didn't start out like this.

We returned from our trip to Colorado Sept 2009 to find this waiting in the yard.

It needs a few little sumthuns--but it is a great start I do think.
Here is where we begin to take over the work started by trukmajik and dejello

94explorer001.jpg

94explorer003.jpg

94explorer002.jpg

94explorer004.jpg

94explorer007.jpg

94explorer006.jpg

94explorer005.jpg

9-11-2009092.jpg

9-11-2009090.jpg

updated pics ^^^^^how it was when I got it

Now here is how it looks as of 4-1-2010

got the wheels all shiny!

truck002.jpg

frostbite001.jpg

truck001.jpg

truck006.jpg

truck005.jpg

truck004.jpg

truck003.jpg

and as of 8-5-2010

IMG_1105.jpg

with swaybar^^^

without sway bar

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

revised shock towers and more flex-Big thanks to Dkchrist for coming over to weld em in. I owe him big time!!

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

With a top

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

LED rock lights

IMG_1925.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Steering parts are arriving.

Ok, call it an excuse but I have to drive 15 miles to the "top makin" guy's place. However I have confidence it will go pretty fast.
For the steering, I think I may be taking it to a jeeper who said he's built crossover steerings thingys before, and, his shop is about 6 blocks from here.
He wants stuff powdercoated-:D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I love you guys- I just need to shove new shock bushings into the shocks, find some nuts and they will be in. woo hoo rear shocks in the rear---

This is what he really said :eek::crazy::shifty_ey:bsnicker::dunno::popcorn:

Damm this took a long time to read. Nice rig, you going to wheel it or be a web wheeler?

He wheels more than most, and some of the greatest places, too,
I have wheeled aside him at SMORR, he tore it up out there,,
When his rig is right it will get driven hard enough, ,

I go Wheeling more than Ben. Does that count?
HAHAHA. Bam. Jon has the offroading in his heart where it counts. Has anyone else done more builds in their garage that aren't theirs? If I had the time/means I'd be taking advantage of the garage and his oven.

Jon, even with only 2wd(the front axle is at SVO's shop) I managed to get out and get mine muddy today. :thumbsup:

16836_104260132927819_100000314975405_106739_4879795_n.jpg

I almost got stuck since I don't have 4wd at the moment.

I took my lovely bride and spotter for a ride today. We went down to the dump, where I flexed it out a little. I got her on top of a 2.5 foot hump for a sexy flex shot, but she wouldn't get out to take a picture. Said something about getting her booty's wet.

Wheel it , come on you can do it-------------

Unfortunately, Jon's poll doesn't have a third option of "Keep it as-is" to pick!

Anyway, since keeping it is the logical choice :p: here's an idea for the steering issue. Since the EB Dana 44 in there already has the Chevy disc conversion (with spindle) you can do high steer if you get the proper passenger side knuckle. Look here and you'll get all the info about it you need: http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/flatop_knucles.html.

Now get back to work! :hammer:

:)

Unfortunately, Jon's poll doesn't have a third option of "Keep it as-is" to pick!

Anyway, since keeping it is the logical choice :p: here's an idea for the steering issue. Since the EB Dana 44 in there already has the Chevy disc conversion (with spindle) you can do high steer if you get the proper passenger side knuckle. Look here and you'll get all the info about it you need: http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/flatop_knucles.html.

Now get back to work! :hammer:

:)

Bryan, I am listening.

No new parts arrived for yet another day. I got bored so I went outside and did the "zip tie throttle cable mod" and boy, that is everything it is cracked up to be. I had room for 3 zip ties and still have a small amount of slop, but man, it is like a whole 'nother engine. I can't believe it myself, but this lil 4.0 will spin 35's over.

OK, So, I decided to remove the sway bar quick disconnects and see what this truck will do.

Right across the river bridge is a little park. The large boulders are to keep you from driving off the edge, as it is about a 15-20 foot drop to the river.

I found a smaller one and drove the driver side up. I didn't even hit low range, and it crawled up with no effort. I didn't hear any weird noises.

I took the opportunity for some pictures, these are base line suspension travel reference for us.

1-5-10001-1.jpg

1-5-10002-1.jpg

1-5-10003.jpg

Driver side kinda "stuffed"

1-5-10004.jpg

Passenger side-Drooped

1-5-10005.jpg

Then I found a larger boulder for the right side. As before the truck climbed right up it in hi range

1-5-10006-1.jpg

1-5-10007-1.jpg

1-5-10008-1.jpg

1-5-10009-1.jpg

1-5-10010-1.jpg

Ok, that was short lived fun.

Hey, look that thing has "urban wheeled," so when will it really see the dirt :D

Coming around, then? :thumbsup:

Maybe I missed the info earlier, but do you know what parts are on the front axle setup? What coils are those? EB 3" or something? Was anything done to modify the front or rear axles? That ARB working yet?

Great pics--you need to find some bigger rocks or a forklift so we can see it really flex! I've heard that the EB Dana 44 pumpkin will hit the engine crossmember in RBVs when really flexed. I'd like to see a demonstration! How bad is it? Maybe you could prototype this thing as a way to possibly modify the crossmember for full flex. :roll:

Coming around, then? :thumbsup:

Maybe I missed the info earlier, but do you know what parts are on the front axle setup? What coils are those? EB 3" or something? Was anything done to modify the front or rear axles? That ARB working yet?

Great pics--you need to find some bigger rocks or a forklift so we can see it really flex! I've heard that the EB Dana 44 pumpkin will hit the engine crossmember in RBVs when really flexed. I'd like to see a demonstration! How bad is it? Maybe you could prototype this thing as a way to possibly modify the crossmember for full flex. :roll:

I really don't know much at all about any of it. Learning as we go, oh I am such a newb huh?

A few questions please.
I looked all over, and have seen this setup before but now I cannot seem to find what exactly it is for replacement parts purposes.
what kind of shock towers are these? They have what appears to be a guide,-bumpstop in the center of the spring. I assume this releases the spring and allows it to droop further, then guides it back into place

I am trying to get the new rubber insulator at the top, and bumpers in the center, but do not know for sure what to look for once again.

Thanks.

Oh, about the steering.

What we are waiting on here is 2, 7/8" bore heim joints which will allow a high misalignment shim and still use 3/4" bolt. The others are all 3/4" bore. I did get 7/8" threads on them. I already have the tube to use as links.
I am then taking the rods to be cut, squared, beveled, and threaded at the machine shop. They will be cutting the threads on a lathe.

Back