• Register Today It's free!

12 volt power

crossfirefrank

Reaction score
City, State
Grass Lake, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 explorer xlt
Where is the easiest place to tap into to get power for 10 amps. I can't even figure out how to get to the inside fuse box. It says it left of the steering column by the brake paddle but I can't find it. I never not been able to locate a fuse box! I need it to run power to my small powered sub. Is there somewhere in the 3rd row seat area.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For something as high as 10 amps you should be coming off of the battery through a relay.

Most circuits are fused for what they will draw + a little. You start tapping into one and you might be changing fuses quite regularly.

The fuse box IS up there. You may have to remove a panel that runs along the bottom of the dash to see it. On my 2011, there was no such panel but it was added in later models. As far as the 3rd row is concerned, do you have a power outlet back there? I suggest that you check your Owner's Manual fuse listings to check the current fuse/amp ratings before tapping into any existing fuses.

Peter

I would definitely say to go to the battery directly. Make sure and fuse within 12" of the battery then run the power cable back to the sub. That said, you may need to grab 12v switched at the fuse box. Those are all micro fuses in the box, so grab a add a circuit and find a fuse that gets power when the ignition is tuned on then shuts of when it is turned back off. That fuse box is a pain in the a$$ to reach. If you look to the left of the steering shaft and just a smidge deeper in the dash it is right there. Hope that helps.

Chris

Fuse box is hard to reach and so unconformable to work on... just sayin! LoL

Back