1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

1994 Ford Explorer transmission removal.

Discussion in 'Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, &' started by wgullion6, May 4, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. wgullion6

wgullion6 New Member

i need to find out step by step info on the removal of this tranny and transfer if anyone can help

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the transmissions section. There is a sticky thread on the top of this section with detailed step by step information on removing the transmission.

4. Doomie17

Doomie17 Active Member

City, State:
      harford county, md
      Year and Model:
      04 limited, 93 xlt
      its very easy
      1.disconect battey
      2.take off the drive shafts
      3.remove the starter
      4.disconnect the plugs and speed sensor. remove the 13mm bolts that connct the transfer case to transmission
      5.slide the transfer case off
      6.put a jack under the trans and take the trans crossmember off
      7.lower the jack down and remove the bolts that connect the trans to block.
      8.have a buddy help you slide the trans off

if its a manual trans its bout the same except you need to disconnect the hose that goes to the clutch thing

5. MayJan

MayJan Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Gibsonville, NC
      Year and Model:
      '94 XLT 5-speed
      It's not too big of an undertaking. I've done it four times in my driveway by myself, so if you have somebody to help you muscle it out and down to the ground, you should be ok. Just make sure that you have the vehicle high enough to allow the tranny to slide out from underneath after you get it loose! I found this out the hard way the first time I did this, and had to raise the ex up in order to get it out!