1994 Ford Explorer transmission removal. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Ford Explorer transmission removal.

wgullion6

Reaction score
i need to find out step by step info on the removal of this tranny and transfer if anyone can help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the transmissions section. There is a sticky thread on the top of this section with detailed step by step information on removing the transmission.

its very easy
1.disconect battey
2.take off the drive shafts
3.remove the starter
4.disconnect the plugs and speed sensor. remove the 13mm bolts that connct the transfer case to transmission
5.slide the transfer case off
6.put a jack under the trans and take the trans crossmember off
7.lower the jack down and remove the bolts that connect the trans to block.
8.have a buddy help you slide the trans off

if its a manual trans its bout the same except you need to disconnect the hose that goes to the clutch thing

It's not too big of an undertaking. I've done it four times in my driveway by myself, so if you have somebody to help you muscle it out and down to the ground, you should be ok. Just make sure that you have the vehicle high enough to allow the tranny to slide out from underneath after you get it loose! I found this out the hard way the first time I did this, and had to raise the ex up in order to get it out!

How'd you get the transmission lines off? Couldn't find a good way to get a wrench in there. Tried from underneath and through the floor where there's a cover Plate

Back