Blizzard my 94 Explorer Build | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blizzard my 94 Explorer Build

ok just picked up plugs, fuel filter, sea foam, air filter, oil filter, 10W30 oil, the correct transmission fluid. Also installed a set of Michelin rubber floor mats in the front and back seat. I will get pics after I reclean the interior.
Anyways here are some updated pics of the explorer.
Trav
almost finished just waiting for exhaust and intake manifolds installed:
Blizzardcleanedrunningandsmallwork1.jpg

manifold from the parts truck engine:
Blizzardcleanedrunningandsmallwork2.jpg

Blizzardcleanedrunningandsmallwork3.jpg

manifold that goes to the Explorer (sorry about the power stroke hat in the pic LOL I am a power stroke guy even though I never have had a diesel)
Blizzardcleanedrunningandsmallwork4.jpg

the egr cross over tube goes to here:
Blizzardcleanedrunningandsmallwork5.jpg

ahh much better to be back together:
Blizzardcleanedrunningandsmallwork6.jpg

Soap and water seems to help a ton:
Blizzardcleanedrunningandsmallwork9.jpg

poor paint checkering of AZ I hate that:
Blizzardcleanedrunningandsmallwork10.jpg

the little bit of rust above the windshield:
Blizzardcleanedrunningandsmallwork11.jpg

Blizzardcleanedrunningandsmallwork12.jpg

Poor Blizzard needs a new pump:
Blizzardcleanedrunningandsmallwork13.jpg

rear end jacked up since it sits so low I don't want it this high but it isn't that high:
Blizzardcleanedrunningandsmallwork14.jpg

time for a little paint:
Blizzardcleanedrunningandsmallwork17.jpg

Blizzardcleanedrunningandsmallwork18.jpg

both mirrors looked like this before the wax:
Blizzardcleanedrunningandsmallwork19.jpg

after wax, paint, and such:
Blizzardcleanedrunningandsmallwork22.jpg

with my mom's 97 Expedition, my dad's and My 02 F250 white and black, and my dad's 89 F250 4x4:
Blizzardcleanedrunningandsmallwork23.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice progress! Mov'n fast.

Shoot! at this rate you'll be wheeling that thing next Tuesday!

Oh no. I promised I wouldn't do heavy wheeling with it with that straight body. I will do light mudding, light flexing, and light hill climbing but going to try to keep it in great shape.
Thanks though on the comment of moving fast.
Also o'rielly didn't have just the pan gasket in stock but had the trans filter kit in stock for $15 so I picked that up.
So to replace as soon as wind lets up:
trans filter
trans fluid
trans pan gasket
plugs (I have to wait on wires but they aren't bad)
oil 10W30 (not sure what oil my dad got but he usually gets the best possible)
oil filter
rear end and front end fluids
fuel filter
and sea foam the truck.

Also called and checked out the local scrap yard and they got sun visors from a little bit newer ranger same color and a little darker from a second gen explorer either one my choice $5 each. Overhead info console with auto dimming mirror for $10for a second gen explorer. She also has some window visors for a second gen explorer but she didn't say a price. She did give me the service, owners, and warranty manual for a 99 Explorer even though I have mine. I hope to go back when I got the money to get it. I didn't have the tools when I had gone and damn Bronco 2 is acting up so had to get her home since I don't want to drive the explorer till everything is fixed.
Trav

well yesterday got the air filter replaced, wipers replaced, and oil drained.
went to pull the old oil filter off and some idgit tightened it to much and if you know your 4.0L well their is almost no room to move in their. So it got dark and I just put the drain plug back in. Today we hope to finish the rest so that we can take her grocery shopping (I know not the biggest but she is the best on gas on the entire lot).
rear wiper was a bit tricky to get on but figured it out after a few tries (never replaced a rear wiper in my life my mom never wanted hers done and the rest of the trucks don't have one)
Trav

You thought about going full synthetic with all your oils? I've been reading quite a few threads on how a full fluid system change with synthetic can really REALLY improve efficiency :)

Also, instruct me how to wax like that!! That looks amazing!

Personally I learned from my dad how to wax.
Their is wet waxing and dry waxing.
Also I hand wash my trucks and MCs. I rarely ever get lazy and pressure wash them.
Personally I always Dry wax my trucks and MCs.
I just apply the wax at one panel from top to bottom. By the time I get to the bottom of the panel the top is dry so I just start wiping it off with a soft dry clean rag. Do that on every panel and that's how I get it to shine. Also I get turtle wax. Seems to be the only one that works good. Don't use the stuff at the car wash it sucks (I tried it once on my 02 F250 and it turned out like crap).
My bike never had a single bit of wax or soap and water since the paint job in 07 I got it in 11 or 12 and it was disgusting. I washed it with soap and water then applied wax you would never know that the thing sat for that long.

Also for synthetic oils I will not be running them on any of my trucks. I have a couple reasons for this.
Number one is my dad and I use to have a 1985 Pontiac 6000 that before we owned it never ran synthetic oil. We loved that car so much we decided we would put full synthetic oil in it and I mean I flushed the complete system and everything then put the correct weight synthetic oil went down the road and car stalled out. Turns out I threw a rod in it. No idea how but according to buddies and multiple mechanics it was because of running synthetic oil in a car that never ran synthetic oil. My dad had the same thing happen before also on a old 70s van. So only way I will run synthetic on any of my vehicles is if I get the brand new, know it was running synthetic before, or I completely rebuild the engine.

Only exception to that rule is my MCs. I have ran full synthetic in every one of them and they run and drive great to this day. Of course I have only had 2 brand new Mcs, one that went through a full rebuild and never had oil added, and one that ran it all its life and is about to hit 30K on a 07 with everything mostly original.

My 02 F250 above has been waxed since 2002 when the PO (only other owner) bought it brought it home and then drove to his garage and painted it. He owns a paint shop and I love the work he does. I haven't seen him in a while but if I can I want to apply for a job helping him out as I love doing auto body work.

Well since my dad was out and about we couldn't get to it yet but when he gets home going to do a bit more of the work (he got the tools to pull the old filter) and hopefully tomorrow I will take the explorer to town to get a few errands done.

Also I got the explorer insured. I didn't get full coverage but did get full glass coverage and compressive so that should be good. I can't afford full coverage on this truck being 18 my insurance is a killer! I hope when my 88 is going again to get both on full coverage (sorry but either way for sure my 88 is going full coverage she is my baby).

Since I keep talking about my 88 here is a couple pics of her. Her name is White Lightnin
Specs on it 88 F150 4x4 302 reg cab long bed custom package. If I find some 31s or 33s for her I will take the stock 235 75 15s off her and put them on the Explorer. If you guys want I can make a build thread for her also in the full size area.
SANY0168.jpg

Trav

ok updates. Last night tried one of the special tools. No go wouldn't fit on right. So I grabbed on that kinda strapped on and sure enough that started to get it but I ended up crushing the oil filter by then so much that it was the size of my fist!
So I took that strap style filter wrench and a pipe wrench then I noticed an opening and I relized that is small enough for my 1/2" breaker bar to fit in. So between my dad holding it and moving with the pipe wrench and me with the breaker bar it finally came loose.
Got that thing out and tossed it a good few feet while under the car grabbed the new one and put it on. Dropped the oil in and fired her up. ran great with the new oil in it and air filter.
Then I get ready to drain the trans fluid but first my dad goes I hope I got the right stuff. You know what that means. He didn't! I looked on the back label and it says in big bold letters DO NOT USE IN TRUCKS THAT USE MERCON V! Good thing I hadn't drained or put it in yet! That really ticked me off. I threw it in the expedition and ran down to town to get the correct stuff. Their guy told my dad 5 times that is the correct stuff so we both chewed them out. They gave us 8 quarts of Mercon V and matched the price of the old stuff that was wrong.
I am sure glad I checked that as I would have driven off and fried the poor trans.

I got something this morning to take care of then will get back and put the fuel filter, trans filter and fluid, and plugs all in so that I can take it to do another errand.
Trav

What part of AZ are you in? You could have used my spare '93 explorer motor, lol.

Up in snowflake. I might be interested in it still if I can't get my ranger engine to spin freely. Is their anything wrong with it?

One more update picked up the overhead console and visors plus auto diming mirror for $30 (also got a tail light for the ranger). got to figure out how to wire the overhead console up.
Trav

I might be interested in it still if I can't get my ranger engine to spin freely. Is their anything wrong with it?

It is still mounted in my parts explorer. I bought it only for the lift and have slowly been taking parts off, but it ran and drove when I got it.

The guy I bought it from had rolled it onto it's side while off-roading. No idea how long it was on it's side but it did cause a bit of oil to leak into the exhaust and smoke a little. The smoke cleared up mostly but I didn't run it long enough to clear it up all the way.

It ran great when I started it. It no longer has a transmission attached to it but I did take a video of it running (no exhaust past the Y-pipe).

This is a video of a cold start (high idle)
This is a video of it running after it had dropped down to normal idle.

For future reference: This is probably the best price and easiest way to get this stuff up there in "Flaky town"

$37.65 a case / free shiping

http://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-VV3...1398525300&sr=8-1&keywords=valvoline+Mercon+V

4120040eIsL_zpsbe5e7e50.jpg

I don't like ordering stuff online until last resort. I am always leary of it. I just called o'rielly and they have it much cheaper so I will be going to them from now on. Oh well.
Trav

It is still mounted in my parts explorer. I bought it only for the lift and have slowly been taking parts off, but it ran and drove when I got it.

The guy I bought it from had rolled it onto it's side while off-roading. No idea how long it was on it's side but it did cause a bit of oil to leak into the exhaust and smoke a little. The smoke cleared up mostly but I didn't run it long enough to clear it up all the way.

It ran great when I started it. It no longer has a transmission attached to it but I did take a video of it running (no exhaust past the Y-pipe).

This is a video of a cold start (high idle)
This is a video of it running after it had dropped down to normal idle.

What kinda money are we talking about on this thing?
I think this may be something we are interested in. The smoke was probably caused by the oil leaking into the exhaust no problem their. Blizzard here when we fired her up smoked a bit because of that and cleared right up.

Yesterday got the spark plugs changed but got a call to go do something again so had to leave. #3 plug was the worse to change because of the A/C box but I luckily had the tools I needed.

Once I change the transmission filter (to windy right now) and put trans fluid in will take her for a drive. I bet now she will be even faster then before.

When my dad drove her last we could both tell she had more power then my mom's 97 Expedition 4.6L 4x4 that has 184K miles on it.
Trav

What kinda money are we talking about on this thing?

Possible deals:
  • $250 cash
  • $150 cash and a set of (complete) 4.0 heads in good condition.
  • Straight trade for a good working A4LD 4x4 transmission (most preferable deal)
  • Manual transmission + all parts necessary for a conversion.
I may also accept other deals depending on what you have for trade.

O'rielley's is a God-send for us Ex owners. Amazing how much stuff they still carry for our old rigs. Some times you have to convince them that they have it, or get the name of the part translated into O'rielley speak, but they do have a lot of stuff even they don't know they have.

I've got my local guy trained now, so now when I tell him they have it, he looks until he finds it. They used to send me packing until one day I showed him exactly where to look in his stupid computer parts catalog, and schooled him on parts cross-over compatibility. He's a believer now!

Well I will have to talk to my dad on all 4 of them but:
I defiantly don't have the trans auto as I am using that for the ranger swap.
I do have the manual trans but it is only 2wd.
the rest I need to talk about. I defiantly can't do it this month I am already out of parts budget.
Trav

O'rielley's is a God-send for us Ex owners. Amazing how much stuff they still carry for our old rigs. Some times you have to convince them that they have it, or get the name of the part translated into O'rielley speak, but they do have a lot of stuff even they don't know they have.

I've got my local guy trained now, so now when I tell him they have it, he looks until he finds it. They used to send me packing until one day I showed him exactly where to look in his stupid computer parts catalog, and schooled him on parts cross-over compatibility. He's a believer now!

Just looked carquest is even cheaper and is closer for me to get it. Score. Going to get some more since I only have 8 quarts.
I am buddies with the manager at O'rielly (10 trucks will do that to you) and we always find what I need. Heck I like O'riellys a lot because they sell some of my MC parts.

CARQUEST owner I am good buddies with to but unfotrunetly he is a Chevy guy so we sometimes but heads (even though we have a Chevy too). At least he rides too. LOL

A lot of the guys I know ride that's probably the only way I get along with most people is when I am talking gear head or MCs.
Trav

Ok Monday I flushed the transmission put a new trans filter in and topped off the fluid. I took her for a drive down the road to see 2 junkyards to see if they have the DPFE. On the way to the second one I kept feeling a really bad vibration so right before the turn to the scrap yard we pulled off (no I haven't driven it yet) I looked at all the tires and all the fluids and couldn't find anything so pulled in (I didn't want to stand on the side of a highway with people flying by me). Grabbed the lug wrench and sure enough the fronts were a bit loose. Went and grabbed a DPFE for $5 working great off another explorer 2dr. Went down the road and installed it. No problems. Started on the 8 mile trip back to my home town and at 65 you felt the vibration like crazy and the speedometer was all over the place. So I get back to my home town and pull into a gas station. Get under the truck thing universal joints. No slop in front drive shaft so hop to the back drive shaft. Still no problems then go all the way back and I noticed something really bad!

One bolt that bolted the drive shaft to the rear end was gone the other 3 were hand tight! so I tightened it a bit to get me over to the hardware store. Pull all 3 bolts out and get the correct ones with lock washers. That got me home and no problems at all took it for a drive yesterday also and no problems. It doesn't vibrate or speedometer all over the place except I will explain soon. I got the original bolts for the drive shaft but hasn't put it in yet.

I also replaced the rubber that goes on the vacuum booster and it works great brakes could stop on a dime.

So problems still pre-existing on the truck:
over 80 MPH the speedometer goes all over the place. My buddy whom is a MC and Car mechanic says the spring is probably sticking I guess it is possible but not sure yet.
It pulls to the left like crazy no idea why I am wondering if it is a sticky caliper how could I test to find out what is wrong?
Other then that it runs down the road great being I went from a 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks this thing rides like their is nothing under you (except the tires do suck a bit).
Trav

Just picked up a steering wheel cover from our 96 ranger. My brother wants something different in his ranger so he gave it to me to put in my explorer. It needs cleaned up but it will look great with the black Michelin rubber floor mats.

Turns out the visors I got are quite a bit different!
they are only single style and not lighted or have mirror got to modify them.
Trav

With the pulling how is your alignment? its kinda hard to tell if your alignment is off, or at least with just trying to drive and figure it out.
This guy has a lot of videos on different things this might help you out a little bit on trying to figure it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UqTgYgd0Mk\

Also what steps did you take at painting the little plastic pieces on the hatch and the side towards the top of the page? mine are starting to peel and look pretty bad so i want to make them look a little better.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The alignment appears to be good but I haven't brought it in yet to check it yet.
I will have to look into that.

I am thinking it probably is the tires on the truck. I am hoping to put some better wheels and tires on and see if that helps.
Trav

Back