• Register Today It's free!

2002 4.0 to v8 swap ?

standard

Reaction score
City, State
Brick NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt
hi i am new to this forum so i hope i posted this in the right spot . I have a 2002 explorer 4.0 xlt i want to put in a 4.6 i was even thinking about seeing if a 5.0 or 5.4 would fit now my question is what do i need to get other then the engine will my trans work with the 4.6 ? and does the 4.6 have to be a explorer or can i use the mustang .

sorry is this is a newb question i did a serach but didnt find what i was looking for. In a nut shell i really need to know what is the best engine to go with and what do i need to swap out along with the new engine thanks for your time

George

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jimabena74 said:
the 4.6 and 5.4 will not fit without major cutting

hahahaha he has a 02..the 4.6 was a option in them..lmao

im sure a 5.4 would fit with alittle work..

i dont know of anyone thats done a V8 swap on a 02-up yet..

I personally would swap a 4.6 in it as they are more fuel efficient than the 5.0's. The 5.0 and the 4.6 use the 4r70w tranny(as far as automatics) for manual trannys with the 4.6 you can use the t-45 and t-56(the t-56 is the 6 speed manual, im not really sure if you could get these to work or not) . In the 5.0 people have done t-5's. Another reason i would do the 4.6 is thats the engine the 2002 v8's came with and you would be able to get wiring, computer, etc. and it would be more "drop in". That year 4.6 came with the P.I. heads and intake and is an improvement over the older 4.6l engines. My brother has always wanted to put a 5.4 in his tbird so you could probably also put a 5.4 in it but it might require more wiring.
edit- Im pretty sure if you use a mustang 4.6 you would have to swap the front accesory drive plate(im not sure if thats the right name for it) and actually my brother is swapping an 02 explorer motor into his mustang and has to use the front accesory drive plate from a tbird for it to work and he shouldnt need the one from the explorer.

96limitedX said:
hahahaha he has a 02..the 4.6 was a option in them..lmao

im sure a 5.4 would fit with alittle work..

i dont know of anyone thats done a V8 swap on a 02-up yet..

for some reason i swear he was talking about a sport... oh well.....

My .02 sell it and buy one with a V8

If it's a sport then you would have to pull a 5.0 out of a '01 or older which means depending on your smog laws, you may not be able to do it. Besides you will only gain 5hp and a loss of Gas Mileage.

If it's a 4-dr, don't waist your time. Too new and you no one has probally done it, because it just dosn't make sence. V8's are plentiful in '02+ 4dr's

Back