2002 Power windows and radio not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Power windows and radio not working

hasmith

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, ME
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
My wife pulled the emergency brake release last week and power windows AND radio seem to have $#!T out. The fuses seem to be intact. The odd thing is that when I hit the menu button on the radio, the clock will display. It's almost as if the system doesn't recognize that the key is in the ignition. Any pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the delayed accessory fuse.

I accidentally short circuited mine and had the same problem.
I cant remember what fuse it was but 17 rings a bell. Check your manual, its a fuse that's under the steering column.

This fuse controls the things that stay on after you remove the key such as your radio, windows, interior lights etc.

2002 Explorer windows and radio not working

I had the same problem, looked on here and found the issue! Signed up just to say THANK YOU for all of your posts, it helps people like me that was not registered before!

The little light under my passenger side mirror was not turning off after the truck was parked. I took the bulb out and all of a sudden the radio and windows stopped working completely. The clock still worked when i pushed it, and the CD player still ejected CD's, but nothing else.

Turned out i shorted it when taking the bulb out, the metal pin connectors touched each other. I replaced fuse #3 , nothing. After reading on here about fuse #17 , amp 15, replaced it and everything is back to normal now, besides having taken the bulb out on my mirror, which isn't a big deal at all. My gas gauge has been out for approx. 8 months, separate issue i think.
Thank you all very much! I've looked on here over the past few years for various issues, about time i signed up!

srock

On a 2002 explorer, radio and windows wont work. I replacd side mirror a cxouple months ago and outside light always stayed on. Til yesterday. If I replace fuse 17 do I have to remove the dead bulb? Looks sealed I wanted it off anyway. But cant find a visible short.. Can I leave bulb dead and replace just fuse 17? Anyone have advice on removing bulb or just fuse?

A burnt out bulb is electrically the same as not having the bulb installed. They are both an open circuit.

My wife pulled the emergency brake release last week and power windows AND radio seem to have $#!T out. The fuses seem to be intact. The odd thing is that when I hit the menu button on the radio, the clock will display. It's almost as if the system doesn't recognize that the key is in the ignition. Any pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Hey buddy i have the same problem with my 2002 explorer as well, did you find out what the problem was? Let me know

Back