It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
A friend of mine is here working away from home. He is stranded hundreds of miles away from home with a blown head gasket from overheating. I have the 2005 4wd auto trans Explorer in my driveway. He doesn't have the funds needed to rebuild the top end of this engine that has 200k on it. To me it makes more sense to replace the engine with a lower mileage engine then to rebuild the top half, only to have the bottom half crap out 6 months from now. (I could be wrong).

If anybody has a good lower mileage engine (at a fair price) & is willing to ship to a commercial address, that would help him get back home to his kids. I rarely ask for help, but this is one of those times I need help to help another.

:salute:

Sorry to hear about that. Best of luck to you both.

If the engine overheated badly the heads could be warped and the cooling system may be sludged up, plus the original overheating issue would need to be identified and fixed. I agree that fixing the stock motor is probably not that cost effective.

Where are you located? You might be able to find and swap in a junkyard 4.0 for a lot less money than rebuilding that one. I know Pick-N-Pull has very affordable motors, usually $150 or less for a long block (heads included) and I have seen a few 3rd gen Explorers at my local yards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back