2017 Sport Prices Paid

Dman25

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016, Explorer Sport
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to get into a 2017 Sport with the group 401A package. What kind of prices did you pay? Dealers are playing to many games with me.

I was in the dealer this weekend ready to strike a deal on a 2016, we agreed on a price online and when i went in they came up with a different price. Like 4k off. Pretty upset over the whole thing. Ended up walking away and they ran my credit for nothing (which was excellent). Almost thinking about backing away from Ford too after the experience. Sucks, cause I own 2 other Ford vehicles and am very loyal to the brand. Ok rant over haha.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to get into a 2017 Sport with the group 401A package. What kind of prices did you pay? Dealers are playing to many games with me.

I was in the dealer this weekend ready to strike a deal on a 2016, we agreed on a price online and when i went in they came up with a different price. Like 4k off. Pretty upset over the whole thing. Ended up walking away and they ran my credit for nothing (which was excellent). Almost thinking about backing away from Ford too after the experience. Sucks, cause I own 2 other Ford vehicles and am very loyal to the brand. Ok rant over haha.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I for one am not concerned with what other have paid for a similar vehicle. I negotiate a price that I am happy with and that's that. Different circumstances can play into a price so it isn't always easy to compare one buyer with another. If you don't like what their final offer is, walk away just like you did. I have leased my last 3 vehicles from the same salesman and we don't get into "playing the game". Each transaction took about 30 minutes to wrap up.
Here are a couple threads that may be of interest;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/2017-order-guide-prices-post-53-added.443431/
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/2016-2017-quotes-ive-received.448575/

Peter

Hey everyone,

If you are loyal to Ford, you should know that a dealer is a dealer and is not Ford corp. Because one dealer is shady makes the whole brand crappy?

Pricing is simple.. if you pay more then invoice, you are paying too much. At more then 200,000 explorers a year being sold, they are not rare or hard to come by. Pretty simple pricing.. build it, get invoice, pay no more then that.

And the fact that there are so many options available, just saying 401a doesn't give an accurate price of what people are paying nor is a % off MSRP as options vary. Again, I refer back to "pay invoice".

If it helps we are planning to make a deal on a Platinum tomorrow at 8.5% below MSRP. That's including documentation fees and everything. We are going the X-Plan route this time because it's as good of a deal as we could get in our area.

With my 2015 Fusion Energi we were prepared for X-Plan, but were able to strike a deal for lower. Sometimes X-Plan is best and sometimes it's not.

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know what we are planning on paying for a Platinum this week.

Here in Canada, when Ford runs employee pricing and Costco $1000 discount (plus additional discounts on the dealer's side), you can get below "invoice"...even though we know it's not what the dealer pays; but adds up to over $10k in discounts on certain vehicles.

Where are you located? If you can do a 16 there is significant savings on the right now, I have a $6000 rebate in my zone on 2016 Explorers.

thank you all for your replys. much appreciated.

Where are you located? If you can do a 16 there is significant savings on the right now, I have a $6000 rebate in my zone on 2016 Explorers.
Not sure who the question is for but if it is for Dman25, he is in San Diego according to his info in the margin.

OP if your in San Diego like Peter said not sure if you tried Mossy Ford...they have 3 16 Magnetic ones...msrp is $51,640...if you offered them $48,366-$6000 rebate ($42,366) plus taxes and tags you should be driving out of there no problem.

Forget about 2016's. 2017 models have been out for 6 month or more now. Look at the MSRP price and ask the dealer for invoice price. You will then see 4-5K (8 - 10%) difference or so. No matter what you do, do not pay anything over the invoice price. I ordered 16 Sport last December, it was more difficult as I wanted it custom build from factory, white, 401K package... still got 4.8K off. They were going to make that deal from the XP's that they had on the lot, but I asked them to order mine from factory. Dealership would still make a few grand directly from the rebates that dealership gets from Ford by selling you the truck even if it is at the invoice price. They make money. Not a lot, but enough for them.
Last step is the credit, If you have a good credit, you should get a bank car loan of no more then 2.5 - 2.7APR. If you pay slightly above invoice, sometimes they have 0% APR for certain number of years which would offset that amount.

I agree with Forddealz. You should not be paying anymore than at least 8% off MSRP. If you are picky about specs (like we were) you'll have a harder time negotiating as dealers prefer to sell from their inventory as opposed to ordering or exchanging. But it can still be done. If you live in a larger metropolitan area it's easier because you have more dealers to negotiate with.

Make sure you check the certified online Ford ESP dealers for extended service plan prices (Flood Ford, Anderson & Koch, etc.). Don't pay anymore than what you see online for an ESP.

I had a similar experience on my 2017 Sport @ Mossy Ford (San Diego). Phone price was agreed on but as soon as I got there it went up by 2k. I still got it though because the other Ford dealerships in San Diego were still higher.

I had a similar experience on my 2017 Sport @ Mossy Ford (San Diego). Phone price was agreed on but as soon as I got there it went up by 2k. I still got it though because the other Ford dealerships in San Diego were still higher.
Thats unfortunate =(

Stick to your guns, they will come down. I had contacted every dealer in our area through e-mail and phone and had them all working against each other. I hate buying a car, but I also like a good deal!

Once I agreed on the price with dealer 1 they had to go find the metallic 401a that I wanted. It took them over 2 weeks with no luck so I went and found it myself. Dealer 2 agreed to match the price from dealer 1, so I drove an hour and 15 minutes out to make the deal. Once I got there their deal was 4k over what we had agreed on. We left and went to dealer 3 the next day and they played were very honest with us. Academy Ford in Maryland e-mailed me a price quote that was competitive with everyone else and stuck to it. Took us less than an hour to sign paperwork and they had my truck delivered the next day.

Long story short, you'll get your price if you're patient. (as long as it's reasonable)

Stick to your guns, they will come down. I had contacted every dealer in our area through e-mail and phone and had them all working against each other. I hate buying a car, but I also like a good deal!

Once I agreed on the price with dealer 1 they had to go find the metallic 401a that I wanted. It took them over 2 weeks with no luck so I went and found it myself. Dealer 2 agreed to match the price from dealer 1, so I drove an hour and 15 minutes out to make the deal. Once I got there their deal was 4k over what we had agreed on. We left and went to dealer 3 the next day and they played were very honest with us. Academy Ford in Maryland e-mailed me a price quote that was competitive with everyone else and stuck to it. Took us less than an hour to sign paperwork and they had my truck delivered the next day.

Long story short, you'll get your price if you're patient. (as long as it's reasonable)
That's what I'm hoping for. Right now the battle is between the Explorer and an Mdx.

That's what I'm hoping for. Right now the battle is between the Explorer and an Mdx.

Love the MDX (brother in-law has a MY2016 Elite), but it is way too small for a 3-row SUV

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ha, my battle was the Honda Pilot Touring. Ford's tech and the twin turbo's were the deciding factor for me. I am a big Honda car enthusiast and I still went Ford and haven't looked back... well sometimes but I think that's normal.

Back