3rd row electric seat back won't elevate. | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd row electric seat back won't elevate.

I do not have the Power Seat option for my Third row seats but if I did, I would do the Skoffer-Method. Perhaps even following along the lines that he used, and adapting it to use a Cordless Drill or Cordless Screwdriver like a Black and Decker Gyro. Then you would not have to put forth any effort!

For fear the battery would be dead when you actually wanted to use it, I wonder if you could adapt an older 12V cordless drill to run directly off the vehicle power.

I say "older" because it seems all new cordless tools are 20+ volt and why would you want to cut up a newer one anyway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now, you're getting to my thinking about using a power window motor and gearbox instead of the crank, or electric drill. I'd mount it (or them) in the area where the jack resides. They're all 12VDC with plenty of power. You could use one from almost any vehicle. Cheaper the better. Only problem is converting the hub of the clutch mechanism to drive the acme screw. Probably not that hard, but do you want to lose that space for the jack, or risk losing $25.00 on the window motor if you can't get it working? I think somebody ought to go for it! :hammer:

A 12 volt cordless drill could run off of a car battery. I have one in my van with a cigarette lighter plug attached to the terminals where a battery normally plugs into. The drill is semi-cordless when it's plugged into a booster pack.

really come on guys this is a simple fix! And you can use it for your Wheels if you get a flat! Looks like a simple socket on the end and Ornery has his power seat back!

Not too mention the fact you get to add a rear power port!

image_15191.jpg

Wow, there's a $30.00 tool! Might come in handy, if I throw it in the right car. With my luck, whichever car I put it in, the other one will break down...

If I have to raise that seat between now and Christmas, I'll be surprised. But, if I get ambitious I'll add the window motor. I'd really prefer to use the existing button(s) if I'm going to go electric again.

Edit: Good Lord, I find myself poking around Ebay looking at used 12V right angle drills...

Jabbate2
Same problem 2007 Explorer left side 3rd row will not go up, motor runs but the seat back does not go up. I'm going to start pricing the part. The dealer wanted 400.00 parts and labor.

That replacement, 6l2Z7861383AA, is about $235 shipped from Ebay:

6L2Z-7861383-AA.jpg

A little pricey for one seat, but not hard to install. No guarantee it will last, though.

Just bought a "TITAN RIGHT ANGLE DRILL ATTACHMENT 1/4" HEX SHANK 16235" from Ebay for $15.00 and free shipping.

Titan_16235.jpg

I'll attach that to my ancient 6V Ryobi Cordless Drill:

Ryobi_HP62.jpg

I've already cut the, spent, useless battery off:

Ryobi_HP62_Cut.jpg

Yeah, it's supposed to be 6 Volt, but running it at 12 Volts doesn't seem to bother it. I was hoping to tuck it back in where the old motor was, but that space is way too small. That's probably why the original gearbox doesn't hold up. Trying to cram too much into such a small space. Now, I'm just hoping to get it hooked up and still have room for the jack. There's going to be interference issues with the jack's hold down bracket.

In the end, the replacement will run the seat up and down using the original rocker switch, and it will do it quicker, and hold up for the life of the truck. I'll have pictures when it's over. Just hope it doesn't look too ghetto!

Just Another Rinky Dink Option

I had great expectations for this effort. Now, I'd say it's just an adequate workaround.

DSC00534a.jpg

DSC00540a.jpg

DSC00537a.jpg

DSC00538a.jpg

The drill is mounted on a post and secured with a quick release clip, so it can be used to crank the spare tire down and up. It's going to be a bit awkward using the seat raise and lower toggle switch. That, and it's set for full speed, which is pretty high.

I have a lot more respect for the mouse motor used in the factory setup. It uses high RPM and lower gears to get the job done in that tight space, and quietly. Can't say that about my jury-rig.

On the plus side, I managed to keep the jack in place. Took the wheel chock out, but that's OK. The clutch is functioning. The factory unit must just hit the stop and let the motor hum, like a window motor. Can't do that with the drill. It would tear itself apart.

Anyway, it functions, but is noisy and inelegant. If I had it to do over I still wouldn't pay the $250.00 for the replacement. I'd just find a better workaround.

Very strange. My RH powerseat went out 2-3 weeks ago (as previously stated). This weekend at the campground, the LH went out. Very strange to have these fail that close together. I'm wondering if one of my girls were abusing them....

Anyway, I'm back to considering just spending the $460 on Amazon, and get these back to stock. We typically need to use the rear seats without warning, and away from the house. I don't have any room left in that compartment for more tools anyway, as I have a small air compressor and towing accessories stocked there.

PS - I've only seen 1 part number. Which hand is that, and what is the other part number.
These must be handed assemblies, right?

I Found It!

6l2Z7861382EA.gif

6l2Z7861382EA.gif

cookie.gif

Where's my COOKIE?​

Replacing both mechanisms

I just finished replacing both seat motors. I hated spending that kind of money, but now I'm glad I did.

I forgot to take pictures until I was half-way thru putting back together. But I used the step-by-step form "ezdays" (post #55), which were excellent (thank you!). $450 is a lot for the parts. Ford could/should have made these motors/gears replaceable. They are so accessible by simply removing the back trim, but they had to make it hard for us. But there is money to be saved on labor, if you have 4-6 hours. I did the removal/teardown in about 3 hours Saturday, rebuilt/install about 2 hours on Sunday.

Notes:
1. The pictures I have included are meant to simply add some clarifications/recommendations to post #55 instructions. I will try to reference his step numbers, too.
2. Both of my mechanisms failed in the typical way (both motors spin just fine, but no movement. Therefore, I had to do this job completely with both seats down. And that was fine. I also installed completely with the seats down. No need to use a battery and jumper wires. I had the unit on a work-bench, seatback surface down (no fliping).
workbench_zpsd2a95e06.jpg

3. After getting a close look at how these work, I think these gears get over worked because they do not shut off before hiting the positive stop. The plastic gears get loaded hard at the end of travel. If possible, try not to hold the button too long. Easier said than done.
4. I'm not a huge guy, but I did this all myself, including hoisting in and out of the truck. That said, I recommend a helper for 5 minutes in and out. The concern is no so much strength, but the risk of back injury from improper lifting. Here is the empty space after removal. Be sure to use the shop-vac before reinstall. And...GO BLUE!!!
seatremoved_zps39ba92de.jpg

General statement - I have always considered a set of ratchet-wrenches unnecessary until this job. I did the removal without them, then promptly want to Harbor Freight for a set ($22 each set, Metric or SAE). Probably would have save 1 hour during the removal/teardown. At least get a 13mm (ezdays called it 1/2").
ratchetwrenches_zps36c36a29.jpg

Removal of the seat-unit from the truck was straight-forward, with the exception of that front-center bolt (step 2). Since I could not raise either of the seatbacks, it was very hard to see, and very tight. I tilted the 2nd row seats out of the way, and wedged a rachet/socket in there, which marred the leather a little (cleaned up OK). Using a 15mm rachet-wrench would have been a lot easier. Install was easier, since I could raise the seats.
wrench-frontbolt_zps4fe65d9c.jpg

I was determined not to slice that seam in the leather to remove that buger-bolt (step 3 in getting the latch assy out). It's nearly blind, and no room for a socket-ratchet. I succeeded by using a closed-end wrench. Could only turn about 20 degrees, then rock and reset. Took a LONG time, as they do indeed have blue lock-tight. Reinstall went so much faster with the ratchet-wrench. I wish I had a pic of this step, but no way was I going to pull apart again.

For separating the seats, ezdays is right: You can't completely separate, due to the rivets on the outside brackets. But removing some nuts (step 1 of RH seat loose), allows you to pivot the motors away from each other.
I recommend detaching that articulating brackets from the seat-bottoms (where my thumb is), rather than removing the front bracket from the articulating brackets (where my index finger is). This will let you use a ratchet and socket, rather than a box-wrench, which take forever. These do not have lock-tight, but they are a type of lock-nut that takes force all the way.
removetoseparateseats_zps2febec83.jpg

In step 2 of getting the RH seat loose, exdays needed to raise the seat(s) to get at one of those 2 nuts. I could not raise the seat. But you can get that buried nut from underneath by using a long extention, then a universal-joint, then a short 13mm socket. This will get you around the seatbelt-anchors.

optu-joint-TOP_zps200cf90f.jpg

On reinstall, I was able to simply use my handy 13mm ratchet-wrench (again, a wise purchase!). See below picture for that.

Final recommendation, ezdays recommended (steps 7 and 9 of securing the assy) being sure that the 2 mounting holes were aligned before tightening those 2 nuts. I was glad I read this before trying to lift the seat-unit back into place, as mine were a little bit off. I loosened those 2 nuts, then inserted 2 deepwell sockets (as large as would fit), to get things aligned. Then, with the sockets holding things right, tighten down those 2 nuts (again).
wrenchiseasier_zps68ba2111.jpg

I just finished replacing both seat motors. I forgot to take pictures until I was half-way thru putting back together. But I used the step-by-step form "ezdays" (post #55), which were excellent (thank you!). $450 is a lot for the parts. Ford could/shoud have made these motors/gears replaceable. They are so accessible by simply removing the back trim. But there is money to be saved on labor, if you have 4-6 hours. I did the removal/teardown in about 3 hours Saturday, rebuilt/install about 2 hours on Sunday.

Notes:
1. The pictures I have included are meant to simply add some clarifications/recommendations to post #55 instructions. I will try to reference his step numbers, too. [EDIT: I can't figure out how to post pics...HELP!!]
2. Both of my mechanisms failed in the typical way (both motors spin just fine, but no movement. Therefore, I had to do this job completely with both seats down. And that was fine. I also installed completely with the seats down. No need to use a battery and jumper wires. I had the unit on a work-bench, seatback surface down (no fliping).
3. After getting a close look at how these work, I think these gears get over worked because they do not shut off before hiting the positive stop. The plastic gears get loaded hard at the end of travel. If possible, try not to hold the button too long. Easier said than done.
Here we go!

General statement - I have always considered a set of ratchet-wrenches unnecessary until this job. I did the removal without them, then promptly want to Harbor Freight for a set ($22 each for Metric and/or SAE). Probably would have save 1 hour during the removal/teardown. At least get a 13mm (ezdays called it 1/2").

Removal of the seat-unit from the truck was straight-forward, with the exception of that front-center bolt (step 2). Since I could not raise either of the seatbacks, it was very hard to see, and very tight. I tilted the 2nd row seats out of the way, and wedged a rachet/socket in there, which marred the leather a little (cleaned up OK). Using a 15mm rachet-wrench would have been a lot easier. Install was easier, since I could raise the seats.

I was determined not to slice that seam in the leather to remove that buger-bolt (step 3 in getting the latch assy out). It's nearly blind, and no room for a socket-ratchet. I succeeded by using a closed-end wrench. Could only turn about 20 degrees, then rock and reset. Took a LONG time, as they do indeed have blue lock-tight. Reinstall went so much faster with the ratchet-wrench.

For separating the seats, ezdays is right: You can't completely separate, due to the rivets on the outside brackets. But removing some nuts (step 1 of RH seat loose), allows you to pivot the motors away from each other. I recommend detaching that articulating brackets from the seat-bottoms, rather than removing the front bracket from the articulating brackets. If I can figure out how to post pics, it will be more clear. This will let you use a ratchet and socket, rather than a box-wrench, which take forever. These do not have lock-tight, but they are a type of lock-nut that takes force all the way.

In step 2 of getting the RH seat loose, exdays needed to raise the seat(s) to get at one of those 2 nuts. I could not raise the seat. But you can get that buried nut from underneath by using a long extention, then a universal-joint, then a short 13mm socket. This will get you around the seatbelt-anchors. On reinstall, I was able to simply use my handy 13mm ratchet-wrench (again, a wise purchase!).

Final recommendation, ezdays recommended (steps 7 and 9 of securing the assy) being sure that the 2 mounting holes were aligned before tightening those 2 nuts. I was glad I read this before trying to lift the seat-unit back into place, as mine were a little bit off. I lossened thos 2 nuts, then inserted 2 deepwell sockets (as large as would fit), to get things aligned. Then, with the sockets holding things right, tighten down those 2 nuts (again).

Thanks for the additional detail brakeman! :salute:

Thanks for the additional detail brakeman! :salute:
Any help for me, in getting pics posted? I just can't figure it out. The attach-pic button wants a URL, but the pics I have are on my computer, not some where in the cloud/internet.
[Edit: Never mind..."search is my friend".]

Any help for me, in getting pics posted? I just can't figure it out. The attach-pic button wants a URL, but the pics I have are on my computer, not some where in the cloud/internet.

I use www.imageshack.us for picture hosting. If you go there, you can browse your computer for the picture and tell it to upload. It will then give you an image tag to put here which others can view.

Pics are up on post #92, thanks to photobucket.

Greetings. I am suffering from the same affliction with one seat refusing to go up, but my situation might be a slightly different. In my case, it sounds like the motor is binding, not slipping as would be indicated by a stripped gear. I have tried my best at pounding, shaking, and pulling on the seat while engaging the switch but without success.

I guess my repair procedure is the same as mentioned in this string, but was wondering if anyone here might also have experienced the same symptoms as I am. Great post thread. Thanks!

Lift the jack cover, and remove the 4 bolts. This will let you remove that cover, as well as the 2 forward flaps, giving you a better look at the motors. Actuate the seat to the down position, taking note of how the motor physically pivots at it "loads up" at the end of travel. Now try to move the "bad" seat in the down position. If it doesn't pivot in the similar way, then it must not be getting any torque to the screw, which means the gearing is shot. If it does seem to be loading up, but the seat doesn't move, then you may indeed have another issue, physically blocking the seat/bracket from moving, or the threaded rod from rotating.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I cannot thank ezdays+thebrakemen+ornery enough as I begin my replacement of the latch assembly on my 06' Mountaineer Premier. Seat came out without a problem, picking up the part from Ford dealership $307. I was quoted $1,500 to do the job by the dealership-no thanks, my buds got my back!!

Back