• Register Today It's free!

Trac on tons n 42's

TrailRig

Reaction score
City, State
Cambridge Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 sport trac
So I have been in to jeeps for years now and thought it was time for a change! I've done a spring over with a 14 in the rear. Hp 60 with a 4 link and full hydro up front. Just finishing up the body chopping. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on potential weak points i should look at before my shake down run? Cant seem to find much info on Sport Trac's this modified..any advice would be much apreacited. thanks I'll post some picks when i figure out how to.lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I have been in to jeeps for years now and thought it was time for a change! I've done a spring over with a 14 in the rear. Hp 60 with a 4 link and full hydro up front. Just finishing up the body chopping. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on potential weak points i should look at before my shake down run? Cant seem to find much info on Sport Trac's this modified..any advice would be much apreacited. thanks I'll post some picks when i figure out how to.lol

Welcome to the forum.

That's close to the build I want to get started on. I have a D60/D70 sitting in the garage and wanted to go 37s. AFAIK, you're not going to find one that modified. You'll find other Explorers and Rangers like that but it hasn't caught on in the Sport Tracs yet. There's a few STs with solid axles but none 1-ton with hydro-assist.

I would love to see pictures of this. I'm bad at directions like this so I'll just say there is a thread you can search for that has good directions for posting photos. I use photobucket and it works easily and is free.

All the weak links in a build like this are going to be real similar as in Jeep built the same way, like the t-case and tranny. Also, your speedo wont work since it gets its signal from the ABS, but with full hydro I would imagine it wont see much street time so it wont be a problem.

This sounds like an awesome projects and I can't wait to see pics.

Posting them is pretty easy.
First upload them to photo bucket or a similar website.
Then open the picture and right click.
Select "copy image address"
Come back here and in the reply click the image icon at the top (the little mtns postcard thing)
And thats it

The impact crush zones on the frame up front will be a weak spot. But hopefully you plated that area and have a nice new cross member tube up front.

As for the rear, the stock upper shock locations are pretty cheesy.
A new tube welded across the frame to support your shocks would be a good idea.

A doubler or a nice Atlas II/IV or STaK III will take care of a lot of drive train issues. Auto trans will die a horrible death eventually, swap in a manual.

Of course, this is all presumptuous not knowing what you have done yet. :D

So I overlooked the crush zones. Thanks. I have a trany cooler with its own fan so it should help out. A doubler is in the plan if the truck holds together for this season. I figure with 5:13s in the difs I should get away with it. Shock mounts have been dealt with. I have a half inch plate running under the motor mounts to tie the frame together. Thanks for the advice.
As for photos I don't have a photobucket account or anything like it so I will look into it.

So it's been awhile since I've posted on here. I'm still computer useless. Thought the app would make it easier but I still can't figure out how to post pictures or videos. The truck works great. Better that my XJ on 37s or my cj on 42s. If someone could help me out with posting pictures I will get them up. Just finished the body protection on it. About 120ft of tube. One down fall to full body with a 134"wb.

www.photobucket.com

it's free. Most people use it.

Then just click on the link under your picture, come back to your post, right click then click "paste"

Your picture will show in your post. That is the easiest way.

I would love to see this build done and step by step reports that is if it is being worked on and does not stop halfway done.

This doesn't seem to be working.

Here you go Trailrig. That's a cool Trac you've built. :thumbsup:

E-4E15-45F7-B74E-C61FCA6B9318-212-0000000820025D62.jpg

9-FE18-46D1-8E28-1733C9CB807D-212-000000081A768EF0.jpg

2-602B-4FC6-BAC9-B267E3288FAC-212-0000000813AE035B.jpg

E-A093-49FF-8864-1A5CF1F2C099-212-000000080DF15DD2.jpg

F-3C94-44B0-9108-8CA6974A32E3-212-000000080872A3EA.jpg

B-0851-4DEC-B05A-CBE3828DE877-212-000000067E50222D.jpg

Thanks a lot. I'll try again when I get on my computer.

Nice truck man. I've seen the video of you crushing the cars on youtube. I'm gonna be building a exxo skeleton similair to yours after I get the SAS, SOA done in the fall.

Yea that kinda sucked. I had no front drive broke the shaft the day before. The cage was first use of my bender/ notcher. The bends aren't to bad but the notching could of been better.

Looks like a blast.

Man I love that truck!

very nice

Back