5.0 Sport Trac Lives | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Sport Trac Lives

I'm curious as well, I do know Sportrac50 just completed a 5.0 swap in his 2001 Sport Trac. He used a 2001 Explorer 5.0 2WD as a donor, his Sport Trac is 2WD. Maybe he will chime in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In process, been sending parts over to him. His shop is over an hour from my house so I have not been back out yet to check on it. I texted him a few days ago and he is working on it. This will take a backseat to his regular job and I am expecting it to take awhile. I will update as I know more. The one piece I know I will need is a rear driveshaft for the 4406 swap. Any ideas of a stock shaft that will be the correct length?

Not sure on the DS. The stock ST shaft length was correct for the AWD v8 unit.

Update: Well after three months at the shop, my ST never moved an inch toward the shop from where I parked it. I went and got it back Saturday. I would text the guy and he said things are good and didn't need anything. The reason he didn't need anything was he never did anything. I am very frustrated, I knew it was going to take some time but not one bolt turned in three months. I do not have the time or ability to do this myself so I will start looking at plan b or c.

Not one bolt has been turned on mine, still driveable. The guy that was to do mine has the donor Mounty at his shop, so without it I am short the drivetrain. I do have the four wheel drive transfer case to go on the four speed trans and a few other items. I do know where another possible donor Mounty with under 100k on it is.

Its a friend of his but I don't know who. We had a deal for me to buy it but he never got me with the guy to pay him and get the title. He still has some of my fluids I bought and a set of plug wires I bought for the Mounty. He says he still wants to do the job when he gets time but I am scared to take it back. Next time he could get part of it done and then bail on it.

I wouldn't trust that guy. It's one thing to say your busy, its another to say things are going good with the swap only to find out nothing was done. I would get your fluids, parts and any $$ you put down and go with plan B. Find another to perform the swap, or try to perform it yourself. It's best to find a running driving donor for the swap. In all my experience I've found its best this way. Out of curiousity, what is your plan B?

SVT

DON'T TAKE IT BACK!!! I had the same experience when I had a guy working on my explorer to fix the hail damage. He said it was going good and kept saying one more weekend, just two more days, etc. Well had to get the cops involved to get it back 3 weeks later and was out a few hundred bucks. He maybe put 5 minutes into it!!! Ended up fixing it myself, and it turned out great! From now on I do everything myself because you can't trust anyone these days unless a it is a friend or friend recommends someone.

Plan B would be find someone else to do it with a different donor. RangerSVT or ttbit are you interested? Plan C would be live with what I have or sell it.

Not sure on the DS. The stock ST shaft length was correct for the AWD v8 unit.

Driveshafts will be different, as the 4406 uses a slip yoke for the rear output, the planetaries are also deeper than the 4404 (v8 awd single speed case), which means the front driveshaft is different lengths, and the tcase side flanges are different. It's usually best to get the front driveshaft from the same vehicle the 4406 is obtained, as it will fit...

SVT

The wiring isn't all that difficult, unless you choose to extend wires. I helped a couple guys on here with their wiring 5.0 conversions. I helped them over the net, through emails, 1 guy had a 2001 Sport Trac, and the other guy a 2001 Sport 2 door, and they were able to complete their wiring.

As far as the mechanical, the driveshafts will be different as RangerSVT said. He or Rwenzing could help you out there I'm sure, both are very knowledgeable.

Next donor

I went and picked up a 2/98 Mounty V8 AWD yesterday with 98k on it. RangerSVT has agreed to do my swap for me. We are in the same state but still several hours away from each other. I will plan on hauling it to him on the 25th of January depending on weather. Here are a couple of pictures of it. I am in the process of stripping the wrecked parts off and will post a picture of that when I get that done.

Attachments

• 0104141245a.jpg
    0104141245a.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 372
  • 0104141246.jpg
    0104141246.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 367

Nice find, looking forward to seeing the progress. Are you planning any bolt ons for the 5.0?

Ok I skimmed this thread. I am familiar with a 5.0 swap as Ive done one in my 98 ranger (pre pats). My question is the wiring basically. I would be going 97 or older to avoid PATS and running a return line to the tank. Worked perfect on my ranger.

Are there any surprises I should watch out for wiring wise doing this? The ST is an 03

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got most of the front end off now and reloaded on the trailer. I won't have time to fool with it for a couple of weeks due to work and travel. Still need to finish prepping the pulling truck and trailer plus get all the parts I need and want changed for this engine to go into my ST.

Attachments

• 0105141432.jpg
    0105141432.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 447
  • 0105141548.jpg
    0105141548.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 374

Back