[56k warning] Yielding is a good thing, or at least one would think. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

[56k warning] Yielding is a good thing, or at least one would think.

So this intersection that I just plain hate, took a byte out of me. So I am going though it, coming up near this area where traffic getting off the highway merges with the road I am on. Well seeing how the highway has a light there, the turn off from the highway had the yield sign, and does not have the right of way.

So I am on FM 423 and the HW 121 (Texas) and going north bound. So about 70% into the intersection I see a red Ford Expedition turning off from 121 to FM 423, and he’s slowing down.

So I think nothing of it, I get past the intersection and getting closer where this turn off and the main road I am on meets. I look over again he seems to be going kinda fast, but again I see he has brakes on and is starting to slow down by a good deal. I am at this point thinking he’s going to slam onto the brakes. Also at the point I am already moving my foot from the gas to the brake as well and starting to press, and checking my left side... Something in my mind is going "WARNING"!

The horn sounds hoping to god he’s going to hear this. (In reality I am only feet away, but at the time it seemed like more)

I look over again and he’s not f'ing braking anymore... WTF HOLY CRUD! Brake goes to the floor, the horn is blazing, and the sound of the rear tires locking up for a very brief second can easily be heard over the horn. I see the nose of his car dive.

Remembering from just 2 or less seconds ago that no one is in the left lane (because I accelerate on the faster side compared to the average person... but I do not hit more than 3k rpm) I start making the swerve...

I see the nose of his SUV clear my front end, then the passenger door. I was thinking to my self I am so going to report this guy for almost causing an accident for not yielding.

Sadly his car is still moving this is when I feel it. But it’s not the feel I expected... it’s graceful. It has as much thump as hitting road kill with 1 tire. WTH happened. Still slamming on the brakes because I knew something hit I wanted to make sure this a-hole (well that’s what I thought of him at the time) didn’t leave the scene, so I pulled a hard right and blocked him where he braked.

So I grab the cell phone, and get picture mode ready, and walked outside to speak to him. I took a picture of the accident scene and then he got out and told me "I was already in the lane"

I had to respond that in fact there was a damn yield sign and I asked him if he noticed that. And then said lets get off the damn road into the parking lot.

The damage was weird... Apparently by swerving the first time, I corrected my car at such and angle when it was hit the two body panels where flat to each other. Thus little damage was done. It was all paint issues, no body. Like I said the thump from the first impact was weird.

He had a 23 month old, and a 3 year old in the car, and this guy decided not to yield... What a dumb ass. Also he just picked up his new 2005 Red Ford Expedition Eddie Bower Edition that day from the car lot. OMG!

Cop was brought out the scene via his request… Well his loss, declared at the scene his fault… not yielding to right of way. I plan to get pictures of the intersection tomorrow.

Well let’s bring on the pictures. It may not look bad, but well... I was surprised by a rough estimate that I had done up. Although I am sure the price will change for a lower end. As for why the quality pics… I happened to have my good camera on hand. Odd though. Every time I have my good camera on hand I end up using it for one reason or another. This sucker is staying out of my car after this.

His car…
aab.sized.jpg

The temp tags… While it says he’s had it a few days, he only picked it up less than 24 hours ago. I assume there was an issue with it on the lot.
aad.sized.jpg

My car, some markings… but not a good angle
aag.sized.jpg

Again… bad view, but you can see where his side rubbed, along with his tire
aak.sized.jpg

Start of the paint grind (start of rear passenger)
aah.sized.jpg

Mid point of rear passenger door.
aai.sized.jpg

End of rear door, start of the harder grind
aaj.sized.jpg

Top of rear wheel well
aaf.sized.jpg

Some of the damage is a little beyond that.

So what caused this…

Back side glass (passenger side)
aae.sized.jpg

Well it was his mirror slamming into it.
aam.sized.jpg

Another shot… so much for the blinker and the heated mirror…
aan.sized.jpg

Total rough (and I do say rough) is 1,200 for full paint of side of car, 400 for rear glass, 200-500 (depending if ford sells by the side, or full body only) pin striping.

So rough estimate… 1,800 to maybe 2,300

Again not my fault, so I am not going to argue with price. This is a very rough estimate and is not anywhere close to the final number. I’m having all the work done at a BMW shop… you pay more but you get good results. Then again I am not paying for this one so why should I care about the price ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow, I've gotten more damage than that going about 2mph... :p

that's nothing dude. I wouldn't worry about it too much. and that estimate sounds rediculous to me

Yeah it sounds way high, but its a BMW shop. Those things are outrageous in cost, so I assume their shop would be as well.

You are fortunate. I have done a lot more damage at very low speeds. He was probably yelling at the kids: "Don't spill anything in my new truck" and not looking.

the car was aimed just right when the two touched. This goes to show how much on the ball i was about reacting to a problem.

As for the price... if thats what the place ends up charging... like im gonna stop them. lol

Anyways... I better get a kick ass rent car. Because im not driving anything less in features than I have now :p

The biggest surprise was the cost of that rear glass. Supposedly hard to find new. And I got a friend at a part shop to confirm this. Not the price, but that its hard to get.

Anyways... I am all good, just ticked me right off. days of hard work... scraped right off :p

Ive used this body shop in the past, they do great work. Also I was checking tonight, seems hit tire rubed mine, and theres a new chip in the rim... I wonder what those go for if the insurence says ok.

The biggest price is painting 1/3 of the car, and then color matching with the current fade and yellowing.

Sure it "could" be buffed out, but I see clear coat taken right off... and well its getting new paint in return.

And well, by going into a shop, its gonna get a buffing this car has never seen since... Wait its never been buffed and cleaned this good. :D Gotta love professionals.

I can't stand repaints, I'd rather buff it out if it will. I can always tell when a car is repainted, it's obvious to me, not to mention the overspray that's found here and there, I don't care what bodyshop does the work. And I'll avoid a used vehicle that I know has had a partial repaint, that screams bodywork to me, and potential serious bodywork/bent frame.
Good luck with it tho.

Well same here, but then again the whole family is that way. All of them work in a shop and repair cars for a living. So if it’s not done right... it goes back in. An uncle had a car sitting in a shop for 6 months.

And my dad is a body repair person (10 years) and a body repair (30 years) and has proven to me; if it’s done right you will never know. It’s all about the quality of the work. Unless you talking about hard hits… when half your car is crushed, you will tell a difference.

He can spot bad paint or body work a mile away. This is what took for ever to get my first car. It had to be perfect. I spoke with him, he says this could be buffed, and this is the direction the other insurance may want to take. The only problem is the clear in this area is totally gone. Sure it will buff out good, but there is nothing real protecting it.

I was informed that if they car guarantee that to last for the life of the car, then to take that route. If not argue for the paint. Because policy states for almost any insurance company now days that they guarantee the work of a repair for lifetime. Now in reality I know paint can’t last a life time, but at least if it did start going bad I could just get it fixed. (I see a loop hole in the future being abused… somehow get the car screwed up enough to repaint the entire thing, and then you have a lifetime guarantee on all the paint for the car. Even better than factory, no 3 years for you my friend ;) )

Where as if they just buffed it and did not give that life time guarantee and it started to look bad over the coming months I would have nothing.

But I have a feeling they are going to want to argue with the paint, because they would have to get new pin striping which I had I checked and it seems they sell for the whole car... not just 1 side. That’s 500 :/

Oh well, ill argue to make it look right It had no paint scuffs on that door. In all honesty I hope this guy does not end up with a buffer bill from me. He needs to be taught a lesson, that you don’t pull this with kids in the car, if you have to be in a rush… just involve your self, not your kids. While I can’t control the bill, I just can only hope its one he can remember.

That sucks, way to be on the defensive.

Why are you getting new rear glass? Did they pull the "if we repair that panel, we'll have to take out the glass because it will break" card? I had almost the exact same damage to my truck except the sheetmetal was crumpled and there was paint missing and I had it fixed by the best body shop in Hartford county for $750 (BTW, the Ford dealer right up the street wanted $2100, and they wanted me to replace the rear glass, as well). I can't tell its been repaired (hell, they even matched the faded paint perfectly) and they just painted around the pinstripe. Thats the one spot you can tell has been repaired if you really look closely, and lets face it, your truck is 10 years old, no need to be 100% perfect unless its a show truck.

needs to be taught a lesson? Keep in mind, it could have been you in his shoes. You've never made a mistake? I know I'm not perfect.

And besides, it probably doesn't really matter to him if the insurance claim is 800 bucks or 2800 bucks(he's not paying it, the insurance is), all that means is his insurance will have to pay out more money, which eventually gets back to you and me paying more for insurance, but after all, he needs to be taught a lesson, and your just the guy to do it.

I've read back thru this, and I admit to sounding like an A$$hole, but I'm just hoping you see the other side. You fully deserve to having your truck back to the condition it was in prewreck, and if that means a full paint job, then that's what you need to get.

Oh, and I've never had trouble picking out a repaint, mostly because nobody will take to the time to mask non paint areas properly. Screw heads on the inside edge of fenders that retain the plastic wheel well, anywhere around non removable windows (1/4 windows and such) tail pipes, moldings. Not to mention when you get the car out in the sun, the fresh paint always sticks out compared to the older paint, even with feathering/color matching bla bla bla.

Please don't take offence to the above remarks, just food for thought.

rfuree11 said:
That sucks, way to be on the defensive.

Why are you getting new rear glass? Did they pull the "if we repair that panel, we'll have to take out the glass because it will break" card? I had almost the exact same damage to my truck except the sheetmetal was crumpled and there was paint missing and I had it fixed by the best body shop in Hartford county for $750 (BTW, the Ford dealer right up the street wanted $2100, and they wanted me to replace the rear glass, as well). I can't tell its been repaired (hell, they even matched the faded paint perfectly) and they just painted around the pinstripe. Thats the one spot you can tell has been repaired if you really look closely, and lets face it, your truck is 10 years old, no need to be 100% perfect unless its a show truck.

I believe the rear window is cracked

Some people have told me just to buff the car, and take the cash and run. no body damage at all.

heh, im unsure what to do. I like my car being clean (aka waxed 4-5 times a year) but I dont show it off.

As for the insurence paying so he doesnt know... heh. I had a wreck, got sued, and well let me tell ya. My insurence is making it up on me. Oh well.

Anyways...that was in the past, and she was looking for money, and tons of it. All im looking for is the money to repair.

And I hope he learned you dont drive a car you dont know like that. And dont do it with children.

Although if the car was his wife's I can picture the phone call now, it makes me feel better.

Hey honey, I picked up the truck today.
Oh... how does it look?
Well about that... I was going to take the kids to Mc Donalds and wrecked your car...

hehe, I can just picture it from there :p

i was in an accident yesterday too, and i wasnt moving forward at all. more of a sideways motion due to some fresh mud. i wish the tree would have scuffed my truck instead of doing what it did. i'd go for the best possible fix if i were you. how come the pin striping is so expensive?

mynameisaric said:
i was in an accident yesterday too, and i wasnt moving forward at all. more of a sideways motion due to some fresh mud. i wish the tree would have scuffed my truck instead of doing what it did. i'd go for the best possible fix if i were you. how come the pin striping is so expensive?

I think the pin striping is so expensive because the way fold sells it. So far the places ive called said they can only get it for the whole car, not by the side, or half of the car. Well supposedly. Not sure why plasitc with a sticky backing costs that much.

rfuree11 said:
lets face it, your truck is 10 years old, no need to be 100% perfect unless its a show truck.

i beg to differ. although my truck is 10 years old it looks the way it does because i take care of it. my family has owned it since the day it rolled out of the factory. if i had not taken care of it it would just be some beat up old explorer instead of what it is. my truck (and hardtechs, from what i can tell from the pictures) are kept immaculate even if they are 10 years old...

There's an intersection around me like that with a yield sign. Yet nobody seems to notice it.

So where's the damage? :D

Fish Man said:
i beg to differ. although my truck is 10 years old it looks the way it does because i take care of it. my family has owned it since the day it rolled out of the factory. if i had not taken care of it it would just be some beat up old explorer instead of what it is. my truck (and hardtechs, from what i can tell from the pictures) are kept immaculate even if they are 10 years old...
Oh, I get what you are saying (my truck is the same way), but a whole repaint for the side of his truck for a few scuffs?

FordLover said:
I can't stand repaints, I'd rather buff it out if it will. I can always tell when a car is repainted, it's obvious to me, not to mention the overspray that's found here and there, I don't care what bodyshop does the work. And I'll avoid a used vehicle that I know has had a partial repaint, that screams bodywork to me, and potential serious bodywork/bent frame.
Good luck with it tho.

Ummmmmmmmmm yeah okay !!!!!

You have never seen my work than have you ?

MONMIX said:
Ummmmmmmmmm yeah okay !!!!!

You have never seen my work than have you ?

Not in person (yet-maybe someday :) ). I thought you did the body work and not the painting though. (confused) I know you do excellent body work.

There are very few painters who take the time to do it right, although I have seen a few. Those are high $$$ paint jobs/shops though. Nothing like that exists in the middle of nowhere (here). :rolleyes:

Well yes this thread is back from the undead, but its finely done and complete. Gave it its final clean up

God this was a hassle. This guy believed he was in the right, even though the cops ruled against him. Not only did his insurence only pay me 2-3 weeks ago (When the accident happened at orginal first posting), he tried to sue me. Yes thats right.

It was about 3 weeks after the accident that they said all was good and that I would have 1300 bucks coming in the mail. Next day goes by and I get a message staing that its being contested. Again I speak with them, and tell them to look at the police report. Long story short, he asks for there to be another investigation by the police. Apparently he thinks I do this for a living, crashing my car and all(yeah my explorer just looks like its crashed all the time). Just because I happened to have a damn camera on me (insurence companies tell you to have one, and to take pictures. I just happened to be going to my job, where i was shooting pictures for a conference). So he gets all that going, I show the cops my work letter, and proof of why I had the camera on me. It was such BS.

So while there insurence is fixing this all out, I get a call from my insurence. It seems he put in a claim. But they told me that they called him back 5 min later with a big fat "NO" because of the orginal police report. So weeks go by, and again the cops find in my favor, that he ran the yeild.

So the check arrives, and so does a new letter from a laywer and a detective group that has been privately hired to investigate the accident. And that they wanted to see my car, and my photos.

So I spoke with my insurence, they where more than willing to send in lawyers for me (gotta love USAA). Long story short, they didnt see my pictures, and my car. I fixed it my way (found out what looked to be the clear coat scratched off was his, my piant ended up being fine) and finelt have it fixed. God I hate vice presidents. Just like at work they dont think they are ever wrong, and apparently the same follows outside of work too. Oh well he ate court fee and a new insurence bill :)

Blah... I hate people some days.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What a complete jackass. Glad everything worked out. Some people... :rolleyes:

Back