Dismiss Notice

to owner generated reviews, discussion, tech tips, and more! The #1 Ford Explorer enthusiast resource on the Internet since 1996. We also cover the Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

89 Bronco II Shifting problems

Discussion in 'Bronco II' started by Russell Roth, March 11, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Russell Roth

Russell Roth New Member

City, State:
      Stroudsburg PA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1989 Ford Bronco II XLT
      Hey, My first post here... Im in need for some help, I recently aquired a Bronco II from a friend, It had been sitting since 05' due to Tranny problems. I brought it home, cleaned it up some, got it running, new brake lines... now im trying to make it actually move... It starts great in park and neutral, but when put into any gear, it stalls, I suspect its the Torque Converter clutch solenoid. I just dropped the pan, and inspected everything... There is fine metal specks in the old fluid, and I encountered a chunk of metal... I cleaned it up as best as I could... an I have to drop the valve body in order to gain access to the solenoid. I have the part ready to go, but Im not familar with automatics, and I choose not to mess with them... so I threw it all back together with some Murcon V fluid, and the problem still exists. Im just wondering whow the heck am I going to change the solenoid, please help!!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Hamhock

Hamhock New Member

City, State:
      Ellis co tx
      97 Explorer Sport
    4. transman304

transman304 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Morgantown WV
      2001 Honda Accord
      First unplug the case connector (white plug on drivers side) and start it and see if it still happens. If it does it won't be the solenoid. Really sounds like an internal issue. If it turns out to be the solenoid probably better to take it to a transmission shop. If you are not familiar with the diffrent length bolts and there location you will do more damage to trans. Will also need new gaskets.

5. Russell Roth

Russell Roth New Member

City, State:
      Stroudsburg PA
      1989 Ford Bronco II XLT
      Thanks! Ill try it today and ill see if it still happens

6. Russell Roth

Russell Roth New Member

City, State:
      Stroudsburg PA
      1989 Ford Bronco II XLT
      So I did that, and the problem still exists, on first startup, reverse worked fine, but drive would still stall out. I managed to get the truck moving and cycled the transmission through all the gears... and it seems like as well that the tranny doesn't want to kickdown I have to do it manually.

After a few minutes of riding around and putting it through different road conditions, it seems to shift better but it doesnt know what to do between overdrive and 3rd gear. I also lost reverse, so unfortunately with what I found in the pan the first time... Ill need to do a junkyard run to try my luck just to get it street legal. Im up for anyone willing to help me out here... Just my luck :banghead: