• Register Today It's free!

89 Bronco II Shifting problems

Russell Roth

Reaction score
City, State
Stroudsburg PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 Ford Bronco II XLT
Hey, My first post here... Im in need for some help, I recently aquired a Bronco II from a friend, It had been sitting since 05' due to Tranny problems. I brought it home, cleaned it up some, got it running, new brake lines... now im trying to make it actually move... It starts great in park and neutral, but when put into any gear, it stalls, I suspect its the Torque Converter clutch solenoid. I just dropped the pan, and inspected everything... There is fine metal specks in the old fluid, and I encountered a chunk of metal... I cleaned it up as best as I could... an I have to drop the valve body in order to gain access to the solenoid. I have the part ready to go, but Im not familar with automatics, and I choose not to mess with them... so I threw it all back together with some Murcon V fluid, and the problem still exists. Im just wondering whow the heck am I going to change the solenoid, please help!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First unplug the case connector (white plug on drivers side) and start it and see if it still happens. If it does it won't be the solenoid. Really sounds like an internal issue. If it turns out to be the solenoid probably better to take it to a transmission shop. If you are not familiar with the diffrent length bolts and there location you will do more damage to trans. Will also need new gaskets.

Thanks! Ill try it today and ill see if it still happens

So I did that, and the problem still exists, on first startup, reverse worked fine, but drive would still stall out. I managed to get the truck moving and cycled the transmission through all the gears... and it seems like as well that the tranny doesn't want to kickdown I have to do it manually.

After a few minutes of riding around and putting it through different road conditions, it seems to shift better but it doesnt know what to do between overdrive and 3rd gear. I also lost reverse, so unfortunately with what I found in the pan the first time... Ill need to do a junkyard run to try my luck just to get it street legal. Im up for anyone willing to help me out here... Just my luck :banghead:

Back