96 Explorer XLT instrument cluster lights issues, HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 Explorer XLT instrument cluster lights issues, HELP!

GOVTMOD

Reaction score
City, State
Sandy, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996, Explorer XLT
I decided to replace the bulbs in my instrument cluster. Some weren't lighting up at proof-out and one or two of the illumination lights were out too.

In the interest of getting it done and not having to worry about it again. I ordered some LED lights, only the warning lights. I forgot to order the backlight bulbs so I paid through the nose for them at Orielly's.

So, I got the cluster out and swapped out all the bulbs. Assuming (I know, stupid) that everything would be OK I put everything back together. Now some of the lights that weren't coming one are, some that were aren't, both backlight and warning light. I played around with the dimmer switch and it didn't seem to help.

Most notable issues: the 4WD low light doesn't come on anymore. The parking brake which didn't come on only came on once and dimly. The check engine is on dimly and the ABS light is dimly blinking.

I'm thinking I might not have plugged in one of the connectors in tightly. Before I pull it all apart and put it back together I'd thought I'd check to see if anyone had any advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You do know that LED bulbs require you to install them the correct way (they are polarity specific)? They will not light if you put them in negative to positive and positive to negative. You really need to test them before you put everything back together.

Also they can be blinky. Mine worked great for a few weeks and now some dim down or flicker. You definetly get what you pay for.

You do know that LED bulbs require you to install them the correct way (they are polarity specific)? They will not light if you put them in negative to positive and positive to negative. You really need to test them before you put everything back together.
I was just out messing with it and that dawned on me. I switched around the lights I knew weren't showing up. I got few more but I don't get some no matter the orientation.

I am correct in assuming ALL warning lights should illuminate when the key is rotated to RUN and/or START for a second or two, right?

I use LL (Long Life)bulbs for where they are to DIM.

LED are ON/OFF and do not as a rule dim..

They might be fine for turn indicators, High beam, check engine but NOT for back-lighting.

IF anyone has part numbers for DIM-able/variable intensity led please post them? As I comprehend a diode is on or off.

Also they can be blinky. Mine worked great for a few weeks and now some dim down or flicker. You definetly get what you pay for.
It is because the LED leads don't make good contact with the socket. You have to take it apart and bend the leads a bit. The LED bulbs are not exactly the same as the old school bulbs it was designed for. I had mine apart 2 or 3 times, it is good for many years now.

Ok, I figured out how to bench test the bulbs and they all work installed in the cluster. I reinstalled the cluster and buttoned everything back up. Now there are lights I know should be showing up, like the cruise control light, that aren't.

One thing to note is that the ABS light seemed to be backward on the bench and now isn't lighting up. I hope that's a good thing.

Back