Cluster Panel Lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cluster Panel Lights

neil724

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
Hi.
I'm new to this forum and I'm certain someone knows the answer to my question. I have a 2001 Explorer. Some of the lights in the instrument cluster have burned out. How can I replace the bulbs? Do you remove the instrument cluster to do this? IF so, how do you remove the instrument cluster.
Thanks for any light you can shed on this for me (ha, ha).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should replace all the bulbs while you're in there since pulling the cluster isn't something you want to do too often...

Go to Napa and get 6 #194 bulbs and 16 #37 bulbs and you'll be set.

I agree- some of the older bulbs may not light up as brightly as the others. I can however confirm that this isn't a hard process- while doing my radio swaps, and finally putting green gauge cluster/switches/bulb covers into Snowball, I must have had the dash and cluster out about 10 times. Ive gotten to the point that I can have it out in about 5 minutes... Literally. :D Call it learning curve.

One thing I would note- watch when you pull the knee panel off- pull it directly to you- the pins on top are parallel to the ground, and they are plastic. The other pins on the cluster cover/headlight switch cover are metal, but mount to melted plastic- be careful when you pull them off, and make sure they are lined up before popping them back on- if you break them off, you're pretty much going to have rattles.

Easy job though, just take your time until you're familiar with the location and orientation of everything...

I'm new to this forum and I'm certain someone knows the answer to my question. I have a 1996 Explorer. Some of the lights in the instrument cluster have burned out. Do you have to remove the instrument cluster to do this?
I find it a very length process!!!:eek:

I followed the disassembly steps in the indiglo cluster post yesterday and replaced the 194 bulbs (six of them) in the instrument cluster of my '02 Sport in a little over an hour. I was amazed at how relatively simple it was. I was expecting to have to fight with the trim piece around the cluster, but it came off quite nicely and easily.

Thanks for the wonderful tips you all have posted on this site. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back