96 Ranger with a transmission code P0761. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 Ranger with a transmission code P0761.

Rangerwows

Reaction score
City, State
Indpls, In.
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 ranger
I have a 96 Ranger 4 cyl auto, I got a P0761 code, replaced the c seloenoid, o/d light still flashes, I have read about the black wire at the end of the shifter for the o/d switch, but it's not blowing my b/u lamp fuse, could it still be the problem? Thanks::: Ranger wows

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the EEC-V section. Did you check the internal wiring harness for broken connections or the bulkhead connector to see if it's loose or corroded?

'96 Exp Sport; P0761; no OD. I replaced the SS3, with no change. But I licked it. The code shows up when, after activating SS3, the PCM does not detect the reduction in RPM's associated with proper function. So, a mechanical cause can be the culprit. How to fix? Move the heat shield away from the OD servo port. Take the circle clip out of the servo port hole. This can be hard because the catalytic/exhaust is in the way, you only have about 1.5 inches to work with. Spray liberally with WD40 or gumout. The servo cover will probably be gunked in there because the cause of the problem is heat. Take the OD band adjusting nut and adjuster out. Take the nut off the adjuster. Put the adjuster back in and tighten it until the servo cover pops out enough for you to grab and twist it out. Take out the servo piston and spring. Eureka! The piston's rubber lips are hard as granite and razor sharp, causing the piston to stick in the servo cylinder most or all the time. So: either replace the piston, or, do what I did: take a 200 grit sandpaper and smooth the sharp edges all around, only about .2 mm, enough to make it dull (not sharp) on both bearing edges. Check the bore surfaces for crud, cleaning them with fine steel wool if necessary. Put it back together but first take out the band adjuster. Reinstall the spring and piston and cover and clip. Install the adjuster all the way, then back it off 1.25 turns. Install the jam nut. Reset the shield. You just saved a $1200 rebuild.

Back