96 -> rear disc... frozen e-brake? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 -> rear disc... frozen e-brake?

budwich

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ont
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XL
I just purchased a used 96, failed safety because of e-brakes "not working". Anyways, it appears that the actuator at the disc brake is frozen... cables seem to move but when I try to budge the lever / actuator... its doesn't move. I looked thru the forum a bit and seen that there were lots of posts around trying to get the brake off (didn't look like anyone was having fun at this).... but my question is... is the e-brake actuator / lever serviceable (ie. can it be "unstruck") or do I have to replace the whole calliper? Thanks for any guidance that will get this truck on the road.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you pull off the rear calipers, the rotor should slide right off and expose the E-brake assembly. You might be able to see whats hanging up. Its common for the E-brakes to have trouble because some people don't use them, and everything coorodes up.

Yikes.... I didn't realize that the e-brake and the calliper were seperate. This is my first vehicle with discs on the back. Thanks... that will be my first job tomorrow morning. I assume then that the e-brake then is serviceable...kind of like a small drum brake???... I guess when I see it, it will be obvious... hopefully. Now I think I understand some of the "difficulties" in the other posts. If the e-brake is operating like a drum brake on the inside of the rotor then if its "frozen on", its putting pressure on the rotor making difficult to take off... is this correct? or am I out in left field...:-(
The Chilton manuals sure dont' give a very good pictural view of this... or guidance for that matter.

Your right on the button. The ebrake works a small drum inside the rotor. If the brake is stuck on then it will make rotor removal difficult. You can use a hammer on the lever where the cable goes and tap it gently to the off position and there is an adjuster at the bottom behind a rubber plug that can be used to back off the shoes. The lever part is serviceable and after you have removed the shoes you will see that it is of a two piece design. What happens is that the pivot between the two pieces just seizes up. Also stand by with new shoes for the ebrake as the old ones will be worn down or broken. Good luck.

Howard is exactly right. The e-brake shoes are about $15 a set at Advance Auto. When reassembling, and after cleaning the lever and making it operable, grease the pivot pin and put some silicon grease on the small rubber boot that "seals" the lever in the backing plate.

Thanks alot for the help.... the thing was frozen good... canadian winters, country roads. The rotor came off easily but the actuator is total "gummed" up. Its going to take quite a bit of cleaning / soaking to get to actuate again. The shoes are done but everything else looks fine including springs. Shoes up here are expensive... from ford >$80 and from a jobber ~$40. Hoepfully I can get the thing back together. The inside spring was tough trying to get off as the access is limited. There appears to be some "rubic's cube" type twists to get access to the back to unlock the spring. It should be interesting trying to get it back together.

Ya, they were difficult to get out and back in. I used a homemade "T" handle thing with a hook on it. Was able to hook the end of the spring and stretch it to its fastening location. The first wheel was a PITA, the second was easier.
Have fun!

Back