1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

97 Rear brakes sticking. ABS??? Proportioning valve??? What is it???

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by rpenner54, May 16, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. rpenner54

rpenner54 Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Wichita KS
      Year and Model:
      06 2500 Duramax
      Okay I am taking the Explorer over to a buddies monday morning and we are going to check out the whole rear end to make sure that my dragging drivers side rear brake is really the brake dragging. Make sense??? Well I have replaced the caliper, rotor, pads and it still is dragging. In my conversations last night I found out that since this thing has ABS it may not have been bleed properly at one time. My parents used to own this thing and had the rear axle replaced by a Ford dealer last year due to some weird deal in the axle... Well my buddy was thinking when they did this they didn't blead it correctly. He thinks that they may have left some air in the system.

Okay with all that BS said, is there a way to FIX the ABS proportioning valve without having to replace it??? My buddy was saying he didn't have the tools to do this but wanted to look at it with me anyway just so I know what's going on. :)

THANKS!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Rhett

Rhett Let Them Eat Cake Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Cape Girardeau, MO
      Year and Model:
      94 Sport 4x4
      Dealers always say only they can properly bleed the ABS. I don't quite agree, although I will say the ABS is a pain in the !@$ to work with. I don't know any specific info on the workings of the proportioning valve other than to say it's a piece of !@$#.

Ryan you should consider bypassing the ABS system completely, it's more trouble than it's worth, especially on an older truck, or a truck that is driven by a skilled driver, or a truck that isn't driven a lot.

4. Aaron B.

Aaron B. New Member

City, State:
      Martinsburg,Pennsylvania
      Year and Model:
      96 XLT
      I have heard the rubber brake hoses can cause brakes to drag.They say the inside comes apart and acts like a one way valve trapping pressure in the calipers even if the hose is not cracked on the outside. Hope you find your problem!

5. rpenner54

City, State:
      Wichita KS
      Year and Model:
      06 2500 Duramax
      I would bypass it in a minute if I was the one driving this every day. However its my Wifes daily driver so.... I just want to know as much as I can about this system before doing anything with it. :)

6. rpenner54

City, State:
      Wichita KS
      Year and Model:
      06 2500 Duramax
      Well doh! I think we got the problem figured out! It was the darn parking brake dragging. That and some mistakes made by me when installing the pads. Its all much better now. So far anyway! :)

7. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Crawlorado
      Year and Model:
      B2 Mod
      I was just going to say. most likely the parking brake....

8. rpenner54

City, State:
      Wichita KS
      Year and Model:
      06 2500 Duramax
      Yeah... I like the old drum brake system better. Its a lot easier to work with!

Ah well at least I learned a whole lot more and was hopfully saved from having to deal with a whole lot of dollars! :)

9. Maranda

Maranda Explorer Babe

City, State:
      CO
      Year and Model:
      03 Aviator 93Sport 99 PSD
      I'm glad THAT's over with... I like my Explorer again.

I'm not with Ryan for his mechanical skills. :D