Completed Project - 98 Mountaineer SAS... | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project 98 Mountaineer SAS...

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Project Merc...

New here. Big time Ford guy but I have been building Jeeps last few years. Having two growing boys I need something bigger then my Wrangler. And my XJ is kinda rough to wheel when you sit in it for 8 hours of off road action. So was looking for something a little more plush. Grand Cherokee are nice but Uni body and there V8 options suck since there is no aftermarket for them. Having a couple Fox Body Mustangs I am already familiar with the 5.0. I worked out a deal on 98 Mountaineer 5.0 V8 should be picking it up Tues. I can't wait!!:D

I will post pics after I pick it up. I did SAS swap in a Diesel Jeep Liberty for a friend so already have practice. Plan on using XJ Dana 30 to start and upgrade to 44 at a later date. I welcome any advice and things I should avoid. I have Miller Plasma Cutter, Miller 212 Mig, JD2 tube bender, and garage full of tools so this will be a fun challenge.

Pictures of my Mustangs...
CIMG0389.jpg

Captured2005-11-200001.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Picked up a Ranger rear shaft and shorted it fit the front. Then I got a boot which still need to finish up some adjustments to the shifter to make the boot fit nicely.

IMAG0380.jpg

IMAG0388.jpg

Tried out 5.22 on the TJ tire. Barely had to touch the throttle. I never even bothered to unhook the front sway bar. Man that rear flexes good with stock springs.
IMAG0386.jpg

IMAG0387.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

You are doin a fine job on your ride sir, keep it up!

You are doin a fine job on your ride sir, keep it up!

Thanks man! I am about to hit 13,000 miles since I did the SAS. I drive the thing everywhere. A lot people just think it is a Jeep. And then have to do double take when they realize it is a Mercury. One guy was standing right next to it and was like that is a nice Jeep. I said uhhhh it is a Mercury. He said huh oh it is. LMAO!!! Whenever I go wheeling the Merc has to school the Jeeps on how it is done. Thing is a beast. I actually got kicked off a Jeep site cause I talked about it so much. :D Haters!!!

So a year since I did my SAS. Truck has about 15k miles on it now. Runs great and I love driving it. Had a Chevy guy follow me and stop me to ask me about the Merc Yesterday it was pretty funny. Have a few more mods planned for it in the next couple months I will post up as I do them. The Dana 30 has been holding up great. No issues so far other then I had to replace a unit bearing. We are working on buy a house in country so most of my funds will be going to that so probably won't be a ton of mods at least first part of the year. But I hope once we move into the new house with acreage I will be able to get some more stuff done to the Merc and start my new project I have been planning. I can't wait! :D

Good luck with the new home. Keep us updated --

:D
Thanks I am excited. Once we move out in the boonies I am going to drag my old 1980 F250 out here from Iowa(I miss it but my wife isn't happy about the idea LOL). Sitting on my buddies land back East. It will be nice to set up shop on my own land. :D

just got done reading your entire thread, very good build. i am new to the 4x4 scene and have plans on turning my x into a family wheeler. nice to know you don't need a crazy buggy or a super built 1-ton front axle to go out and have fun.

just got done reading your entire thread, very good build. i am new to the 4x4 scene and have plans on turning my x into a family wheeler. nice to know you don't need a crazy buggy or a super built 1-ton front axle to go out and have fun.

Thanks it was a fun and interesting build. I have some cool things planned for the Merc this year. :D

So today I pulled the Merc into the garage to get some maintenance done and a small mod. Here are some pics.

Time for new ball joints! The old ones were original with over 185k(15k by the Merc) on them.
20120219_130746.jpg

New Dana Spicer ones in drives so nice now should have done this awhile ago.
20120219_134251.jpg

And since I beat up my 30 pretty good last year wheeling bent up one of the lower control arm brackets I added mini skids to make sure they make it through this wheeling season. I had to straighten Passenger side some before I could get the plate to fit. It was pretty mangled.
20120219_160525.jpg

Planning on making some mods to the rear this next week if I have time. I have really been looking forward to this next mod so I can't wait to get started.

One more thing wanted to make some comments about the STaK Mini Monster. The case as been working great I can shift on the fly at 70 mph into 4 high no problem. That was one of my concerns when I got the case since there are no syncros inside. And shifting back into 2 high is just as simple. I have used it quite a bit this winter with all the snow we have had. The case is a beast more miles I put on it the better it works I love it. It is kinda loud but nothing horrible. Defiantly more noticeable in 4 wheel drive. I have driven in 4 high for over 150 miles in one day mostly on the highway in the snow truck is amazing in the snow and the Detroit locker in the rear is very smooth. The Truetrac in the front is a beast in the snow too. I have gotten so used to having it that I think I just take for it granted how well it works and rides. Almost feels like a stock vehicle.

Swapped in some 64" Chevy leafs this morning. Took me less then 3 hours start to finish. I gained about inch of lift and and more flex. Plus the truck feels more stable in the rear since the leafs are stiffer then the stock leafs were.

20120228_073928.jpg

Chevy leaf next to stock.
20120228_075341.jpg

Stock bracket off. Just had to grind down the rivets and take out the bolts pretty easy.
20120228_080343.jpg

Had to drill the bolt hole out to 5/8" since the 64" Chevy leafs use a larger front bolt. Also had to trim the bracket some to fit around my slider leg.
20120228_081857.jpg

New leaf installed moved the front bracket 6.5" forward for the new leaf.
20120228_085120.jpg

All bolted back up.
20120228_091302.jpg

Right after I got it done. From top of tire to bottom fender rear 9.5" front 8.5"
20120228_104443.jpg

After about 40 miles of driving the leafs settled down some. I checked the height again and the truck rear was 8.5" front 8.5"
20120228_125854.jpg

Picked up a hitch today to start my new project.

Got this rusty baby for 30 bucks.
20120229_161903.jpg

I cut the ends off the hitch and cut some plates to fit inside the frame rails. The new hitch mounted up high and out of the way.
20120229_182513.jpg

The bottom of the hitch sits about a inch or more higher then bottom of stock bumper. Also it does not stick out as far as the stock bumper. Giving me a nicer departure angle.
20120229_182535.jpg

I got a good look at the shackles they rub a little so I am going to have to build or pick up a different set. Cause I think when I flex hard they are going to limit my up travel.
20120229_174527.jpg

Are you going to cut off the "wings" on the quarter panels now and run the hitch as your rear bumper and throw some tube at it?

WoW Another awesome build I somehow missed... Crazy Cool Work!!

Back