abs light, trac control light and 4x4 light ON!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

abs light, trac control light and 4x4 light ON!!!!

xplorerguru

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 explorer
SO what the title means is that my trac control light is on as well as the abs light. The 4x4 high light flashes off and on also.

When i start my ex it goes only to 10 mph and struggles very hard, the brakes act as if i were sliding on ice, the abs is activating. Than as i turn the ex makes a very loud popping sound and jumps, like the axle is binding.

I got it towed to my friends shop today, it may go to ford cause i have the exttended warranty.

ANY IDEAS??????

BTW does bigger tires void a warranty?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have this exact same issue - anyone know the fix?

Almost sounds like the transfer case to me. Is it lifted at all right now? It's hard to tell without being there but what there any grinding at all or like not engaging into 4x4 high?

If you have a haynes manual then look under abs/ traction control. It could just ne a loose connection on a wheel sensor. If you were out playing in the snow I bet a sensor is disconnected and its telling the computer to go into limp mode. Is the check engine light on?

Good thing that's a easy fix! On the mountaineer it was one Allen key and unclip it.

Hey if he has the wheels off see if he can measure his to hub for me so I can order my axles Haha. All I need is the front width

Is the ABS sensor and wheel speed sensor the same thing? My ABS light is on and it feels like it locks in 4 low while turning. No other lights on dash.

Means your speed sensor is bad, had this happen to both of my fronts! If you have traction control and the light comes on than it is prob it. At Autozone it cost around $60 and is VERY easy to replace.

All you have to do is take off the tire and brakes with the rotor and you should see where the sensor plugs into the wheel hub. It is held in by a Allen screw, not sure the size.

SPRAY IT GOOD with WD-40 or the best stuff you have (ie PB Blaster is the best). If you do not spray it chances are it will break off in the wheel hub and you will have to spend $130 or more on a new hub AND sensor.

BE SURE TO GET SOME LUBE if you just get the sensor, otherwise you will be replacing it again soon! Hope this helps?! Maybe do a write up?

Is the ABS sensor and wheel speed sensor the same thing? My ABS light is on and it feels like it locks in 4 low while turning. No other lights on dash.

Yes

I dont have any traction control light on, just the ABS light. Will the ABS light set off a code for me to know which corner to focus on?

I took mine to the dealer where I bought it and they told me what one i needed to replace, there is no difference to the naked eye if it is good or bad. I can almost guarantee it is one of the fronts. If you can not find a code, only thing I could suggest is the hard way, replace the left side. If it works you are done, if not try the right side.

ONLY tools you need to replace it is a jack, stand, 4way, and a set of allen wrenches.

1. Take off tire

2. Take off rotor (can take off the caliper if you want, but not necessary)

3. Spray the bolt/ screw holding the sensor in the hub Let it work its magic for a bit

4. Than remove the sensor

The sensor hooks up to another line in the engine bay, you may need a step stool to see in since it will be jacked up. At least I did because I am vertically challenged! Drive it around for a bit and slam on the brakes and see if the light comes back on (preferably not on the freeway or a busy road, LOL). If it does, try the other side. If that don't work, than it is time to have a mechanic look at it to find out what is wrong.

Hope it helps.

Are you talking about a 4th gen ex? I have a bad wheel speed sensor on my 03 and was told I have to replace the entire hub....

No you don't, I JUST did it myself. A lot of times the sensor will break off into the hub which causes you to have to replace the whole thing. I had to replace my driver front cause my advance trac was tripping off, I replaced the sensor and it now works fine.

Actually, my Haynes book for the third gen talks about how to switch out the sensor also.

Does anyone know where the abs relay/fuse would be located? I have no manual

#22 under your dash

#5 and #10 under the hood also have to do with the ABS

My 06 is doing the same thing, but there's a lot of grinding and jerking when I try to drive it. Could a sensor be causing all of this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ABS, Trac Control, and 4x4 lights illuminated!

My ABS, traction control, and 4x4 lights are illuminated. Vehicle is running at 5-10mph and jerks periodically. My problem sounds similar to other mentioned posts.

Is it harmful to attempt driving it, or should I just have it towed to the dealership? Or, should I attempt to remove the ABS fuse... can it then be driven?

Back