abs light on and 4x4 high light flashing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

abs light on and 4x4 high light flashing

breakers7

Reaction score
City, State
pasadena, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer
I think my 04 Explorer is stuck in 4x4 high. I didn't put it in 4x4. I was pulling in to a parking space and my anti lock brakes activated. I paid no mind to it and went into work. Now the abs light is on and the 4x4 high light flashes. With hard turns I feel it binding up .Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Need to scan the vehicle the ABS system and the power train for codes.

This will give you a idea on where to start to diagnosis the problem. You will need to find a scanner that is capable of retrieving the codes from all the on board systems, some of the cheap ones wont be able to read the transmission and other systems.

Post up what you find and we can give you suggestions on what repairs are necessary.

@breakers7
Need code(s), for sure. Wild a$$ed guess: Electronic Clutch in Transfer Case is mechanically bound-up, sending power to front wheels constantly. PCM detects abnormal wheel speed signals, illuminates ABS light, also knows 4X4 is not being called for as system is in 4X4 AUTO, thus flashes 4X4 HIGH. If code(s) do not explain adequately, removal of the front drive shaft, then test drive will verify T.C. trouble.

Alternate guess: 4X4 HIGH relay contacts stuck closed. Pull out relay, test drive. imp

two weeks ago put MOOG hub and bearing in, the left one was noisy so changed both, a week later the abs light popped, the at times it says check advance trac and it also flashes the 4x4 high - did you ever figure this out?

I checked the wire routing and connection, cant see an issue, no pinched wires etc.

two weeks ago put MOOG hub and bearing in, the left one was noisy so changed both, a week later the abs light popped, the at times it says check advance trac and it also flashes the 4x4 high - did you ever figure this out?

I checked the wire routing and connection, cant see an issue, no pinched wires etc.
@Argentimage
I have found that the 4X4 HIGH light flashing, at least in my case, meant that 4X4 had been disabled. Confirmed it by attempting to go into 4X4 HIGH and 4X4 LOW. Wouldn't shift in. This came about after a long-running ABS problem. Turned out to be a dead ABS Module, but found that only after extensive headache testing/replacement of components as followed in the official Ford Troubleshooting Manual. Final step: replace PCM. I did. Problem remained the same, and I lost one key: still have only one key which starts the engine. Not happy. imp

well I though this one was an over-heating hub brg asy, not so.

Mine shifts into 4x4 high and 4x4 low,

ideas where to look?

I would guess you are having an ABS sensor issue, and it's disabling the ABS since it can't tell if there is actually slippage. You'll need the ABS codes read to point you in the right direction, or your shooting in the dark.

The abs sensors are in the hub bearing asy, yes?

So one of the two new hub brg asy caused this

I disconnected the battery too

But that didn't wipe the code

We'll get the codes

More than likely it's one of the hubs. You can buy just the ABS sensors if you can get the old one out. I've had mixed results with this.

Odd that the one that was overheating in replacement and supposed reset as per owner guide did not eliminate the issue

Top suspect is the other moog hub brg those two were changed

Getting good at this seconds less that 30 minutes to change them from wheels up to rolling back for a test drive

Found the issue the protective convolute slipped down leaving a spot of wire unprotected

It rubbed through to the metal brake line
Shorting the line out

Very sweet. All back up and running?

It is, don't like the vibration drone that is still present

Not a lot to the system: knuckle, hub asy torqued to spec, half shaft that I changed oe to service part, if I get a couple of hours I'm thinking to swap in the old original hoping it didn't get bounced around too much sitting in the garage

Did you try yanking the front drive shaft?

It is, don't like the vibration drone that is still present

Not a lot to the system: knuckle, hub asy torqued to spec, half shaft that I changed oe to service part, if I get a couple of hours I'm thinking to swap in the old original hoping it didn't get bounced around too much sitting in the garage

I changed half shafts twice. I saw the FedEx guy drop them so that was first suspect part on the change out and noise biased left

But no to the drive into front differential

Back