Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Aftermarket Tail Light Options

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorer Sport Tuning' started by klr-b-scl, November 1, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. will_p

will_p New Member

City, State:
      St. Joseph, MO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2013 Explorer Limited
      what lengths did you get? i haven't been able to figure out what lengths i need for the explorer since its so wide compared to most vehicles. thanks!!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Rainlord

Rainlord Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Zurich, Switzerland
      Explorer 2012 XLT
      Oops I forgot that part, they are XL, in black

Last edited: January 19, 2018
    4. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      I think you meant your tail lights are black.

Peter

5. Rainlord

Rainlord Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Zurich, Switzerland
      Explorer 2012 XLT
      Lol, autocorrect gone bad. I meant the bars are black!

6. Rainlord

Rainlord Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Zurich, Switzerland
      Explorer 2012 XLT
      Running into an odd issue with the rear right light. The left works perfectly, but when I turn on the right blinker, the car goes into hyperflash on it. The light also doesn't blink. However, the warning lights do make the light blink, so the light itself is working. I've tried a 25W resistor and a 50W on the blinker wire (blinker to ground) but neither worked/made a difference. The 25W did nothing really and 50W made nothing go through, probably too much resistance. I tried putting a resistor instead of a light on the end and that caused the hyperflash to stop (but then I have no blinker at all of course). If I disable the hyperflash with forscan in the BCM it seems nothing blinks on the rear right (I set both rows to 0000). If I don't plug in the blinker light at all (just a dead end cable so to speak) the car still hyperflashes. So it's expecting something resistance-wise at the rear clearly. Front right blinker works in every case so it's not a fuse issue. I've contacted the seller as well, but anyone have any idea what else to try? I just find it odd that left works, right doesn't, and all those combinations of tests didn't work...

7. thefranchise713

thefranchise713 Active Member

City, State:
      Buffalo, NY
      '17 Explorer Limited 4WD
      If you are editing with FORScan, don't use resistors. (I'm guessing you didn't, but bore repeating just in case.)

Sometimes the bulbs are finicky--try a different bulb brand. I've got some Amazon specials that haven't had any real issues with confusing the BCM, but sometimes the pins don't make contact. My bumper came off last week which required the taillights to come out and bulbs from the harness. Tech didn't have them working when I got it back, so I had to manipulate the pins a bit to suit.

Hazards are a bit interesting in this car, by default it won't hyperflash even with LEDs at the corners and the bulb sense turned on, but turn on an individual side and you'll have hyperblink issues.

8. Rainlord

Rainlord Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Zurich, Switzerland
      Explorer 2012 XLT
      Interesting on the Hazards. I'm going to try the forscan codes again tomorrow and do a bit more testing of various combinations. I can't change the actual LED blinker as that's part of the light fixture itself. But I could try to wire up the old light to it in addition just to see if that has an effect on the hyperflash, and if the blinker works at all then.

9. thefranchise713

thefranchise713 Active Member

City, State:
      Buffalo, NY
      '17 Explorer Limited 4WD
      My bad--brain was on aftermarket bulbs, I forgot about this being a whole assembly.

10. Rainlord

Rainlord Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Zurich, Switzerland
      Explorer 2012 XLT
      I'll add that in my attempts to get the rear right light to blink properly (with the engine running as that's only when it doesn't work, minus hazards), I've come to realize that it's probably a faulty light/wiring. The car throws an error code in the BCM whenever the light's blinker wires are attached that says -- Rear Turn Signal: "circuit short to ground" --. I tried googling that but I'm still not 100% sure if it's saying there's no ground detected (bad), or there's electricity coming through in the ground (also bad), and I've not been able to test it really as whenever this happens, the car cuts the power to the blinker right away (you can restart it by stopping the blinker and starting it again). I tried bridging the negative/ground of the light over to the other ground that's in that harness, but that didn't help.

Hopefully the seller will sort this out. I will say that trying to open the light is a no go, it must be glued down and then they put screws in to hold it together better. Can't argue the quality there...

Edit: In contact with seller now who wants me to try switching the lights around to see if it makes a difference (so it's not car-related), will try that and see. He also said to switch the resistors on them, which I'm not sure what he means as there's no detachable resistor as far as I can see. There's a black "bar" with two wires which could very well be the resistor, but it doesn't come off in any easy way without cutting the wires.

Edit 2: Looks like it's my car. I tested putting the rear right tail right on the rear left wires, and it works fine there. The seller has been really helpful to try to figure out the issue, so today I'll rip open the panel again and see if it's a harness-related issue and/or if I can find what's causing the short to ground.

Edit 3: Probably last edit. I gave up on making it work "factory style". I think the car might have had an issue on the right blinker for a long time, but for whatever reason, not everything triggers it. I ended up running a 12V cable to a relay that I stuck on the back of the headlight, using the flasher wire (purple) as trigger wire (all other wires should make sense). That "fixes" it. Not pretty, doesn't make me happy, and a relay is "clicky", but at this point I can't think what else to try except a potentially expensive dealer visit where they rip the car apart trying to figure it out why the car thinks there's a short. I hope no one else runs into this! If someone knows if there's a "silent" car relay, hit me up :D

Last edited: January 26, 2018
    11. deadlyapp

deadlyapp New Member

City, State:
      Los Angeles, CA
      2015 Explorer Sport
      Ordered a pair of these earlier this week and will be installing them this weekend. Excited about how they look.

12. deadlyapp

deadlyapp New Member

City, State:
      Los Angeles, CA
      2015 Explorer Sport
      Decided not to wait and installed these in the dark yesterday evening. Install is very simple, although I was a bit of an idiot and forgot to bolt the mounting brackets before fitting the first tailight. Reverse bulb and twist mount worked perfectly, but realize you need to take the rubber O-ring/grommet off your stock tail lights in order to get a tight fitment.

Bulbs all work great and I had no issue with hyperflash or any issues as mentioned by the above poster. Fitment isn't as good as stock, with about an eighth inch gap, but it doesn't bother me yet and could probably be improved slightly. Side note, the mounting method using those two captured metal pins is real stupid. Needs a ton of force to remove the tailight and then seating the new tailight is a struggle to sort out if you have the pin fully seated. Oh well.

13. SHAD0W

SHAD0W Active Member

Explorer
      I recall seeing hyperflash issues mentioned a looonng time ago on these threads, and people kept mentioning resistors in the rear, mounting methods, etc.. Some folks reached out to me via PM, and I've always suggested that the resistors be mounted in the front, with the front signals. I have no particular rhyme or reason for this, aside from wanting to mount the resistors on a metal surface. Mounting them in the rear left no other option but to mount the resistor on the plastic body of the tail lamp--despite being an easy location to maintain and access, when compared to the front. But mounting them in the front have yielded no problems for me or anyone that reached out to me, so far. So in short, try mounting the resistors up front instead of in the rear. Tail lights lookin sharp! Good luck.

14. klr-b-scl

klr-b-scl New Member

2015 Ford Explorer Sport
      Finally pulled the trigger today. Ebay is giving a 20% discount on anything today so I bought some taillights for me and of course something for the wife so she doesn't kill me! Hahahaha

15. expoman55

expoman55 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Upstate NY
      2015 Explorer Sport
      Howdy, There are a lot of mods out there but I dont remember seeing any on rear lights. I stumbled across these by Torcia Auto and found them interesting.. actually Quite ingenious No drill or rewiring just really plug and play..

Wondered what you all think of them. I am posting 2 links as one is about the lights and the other is the install. I would not even consider them if the install wasnt so simple.. Does make them a little steroidy so to speak.

Thoughts? BTW they are 1/2 price on ebay. Have to watch the install video to appreciate their engineering I think.

Last edited: March 11, 2018
    16. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      This has already been posted. I believe they are the same lights. In fact, some member have already done the mod. Still trying to find the posts.

Peter

Last edited: March 10, 2018
    17. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Found the thread but as you can see the two options are different. As for the 2 videos, they are both the same ones about the lights only. No 'install' video.
      Nice lights.

18. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Not sure if I'm missing something but this video is the same as the first ones except for what pops up after it finishes.

Peter

19. expoman55

expoman55 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Upstate NY
      2015 Explorer Sport
      I have no idea what is going on.. I have played them on my pc and copied the URL j
      this is crazy.

20. cwescapexlt4x4

cwescapexlt4x4 Explorin' the Desert SW Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Litchfield Park, AZ area...
      2016 Explorer LTD (FWD)
      those extra light pieces on the tailgate... no thanks!

21. expoman55

expoman55 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Upstate NY
      2015 Explorer Sport
      Just curious CW what makes you say no to the tailgate .. the look or otherwise?

22. Rainlord

Rainlord Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Zurich, Switzerland
      Explorer 2012 XLT
      I looked at those but didn't like how they get mounted with nothing but 3M tape. It also looks like you'd have to pull a long wire in some hidden fashion so that the tailgate can open:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    23. expoman55

expoman55 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Upstate NY
      2015 Explorer Sport
      Actually I wondered same until I watched the install video . No wires to run and hid etc. there is a plug between the 2 pieces that opens and closes automatically as you open and close the hatch. its kinda cool the only worry I have isnt the tape but it is the pins on plug and to know if they bend. or corrode over time but look pretty healthy in size.

I like what they have done vs running wires.. hopefully one day we can have wireless power ( lol)

Last edited: March 13, 2018
    24. expoman55

expoman55 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Upstate NY
      2015 Explorer Sport
      tail light pins.JPG tail light reciever.JPG Attached are a few pics that I thought might provide interest. I also ( CW) didnt want to fish wires and/or drag wires as it is a PIB.

25. cwescapexlt4x4

cwescapexlt4x4 Explorin' the Desert SW Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Litchfield Park, AZ area...
      2016 Explorer LTD (FWD)
      The look for me, total turnoff.. sorry. and seeing this how they are a proximity connection. Set up for failure.

26. expoman55

expoman55 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Upstate NY
      2015 Explorer Sport
      Yea I think you have to be into the look for sure. I kinda like the look of the tail on the lincoln with more lights but it is a personal thing.. FYI the connection is physical not proximity .

• Like Like x 1