• Register Today It's free!

Another Explorer wanted.........

JasonB1977

Reaction score
City, State
Port Tabot, South Wales
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 E320 cdi
Hi guys, not been on here for a long time. I was a member previously but got locked out of my old e-mail account due to being hacked, so pressing the forgot password link wouldn't have got me far! Anyway last December I had to say goodbye to my Explorer after 10 years excellent service from it due to a combination of bad circumstances, sadly its probably bean tins by now. Not exactly a fitting end for the old girl but if things had been different I would have sank some money into it and still have it. Rest in peace P840XDW. Well on a happier note things have got better and now its time to find another one. A few months ago I bought a very cheap Isuzu TF with a 3.1 td in it, an absolute rot box but it served its purpose. While welding the front up I got thinking about the old Ford and how good it was, got fed up with the amount of welding on the Isuzu and went looking for another Explorer......ended up being in the right place at the right time when a friend was going through a divorce and bought a....Kia Sorento off him for £500. Not exactly an Explorer but way too good to turn down for that money. Anyway my good lady decides the Kia is ideal for her going up and down to see the horses and again I am back to the Isuzu! So the search for another Ex is on again. One idea that popped into my head while daydreaming was cutting up the Isuzu, removing the entire drivetrain and other a few other bits and doing a transplant into an Explorer that's got a duff engine. A bit ambitious maybe but I`m fortunate enough to have found a job in an engineering workshop, that will help with a few things and not only that I was also on the tools for a long time so know what I`m taking on. Always fancied doing something like this so I had a few late nights doing my homework on the subject and just wondering what you guys think about it?

Seems like a lot of work and expense just to get the diesel economy and low down grunt.
It would be easier, cheaper and quicker to get an Ex and rebuild the duff engine, which would probably be due to the timing chains/guides failing, then get an LPG system fitted.

Believe me its not the economy im doing it for. Just fancy doing something a bit different, not for praise or recognition but but just for the hell of it. I did the timing chain thing with my last one( still got the locking kit) and to be honest I'm not a fan of lpg. On a different note does anyone know if Justin in Newport is still trading?

Back