Another OHV M90 build | Page 63 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another OHV M90 build

2000 OHV + rpcaster + henson performance = another supercharged 4.0 ohv Explorer

I have goodies from James already (New MAF, 36lb injectors, wideband O2 for tuning)

Here's what came from Ron (Also a fuel pressure gauge and boost/vacuum gauge)

Attachments

• rpcaster.jpg
    rpcaster.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 3,585

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Today was going to e a great day, or a very, very bad one.
Once the lifters pumped up, the motor sounded great.

I broke the vacuum tit off my boost guage sending unit. I will fix that tomorrow so I can see the differences in vac/boost.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Also, No issues with that 422 cam and an auto trans. There's lots of low end power. Maybe by next week I'll start getting a bit harder on the gas. I really want to test wot!

Once your broke in,smaller pulley and tuned,if your balls don't get in your stomach then idk what to say!!!hahah

thanks? um for what? you did all the b.s. stuff, not me! as for low end, at this moment in time, i dont see it being a bad thing compared to it before. it had a little too much to try and drive it around now. the leak, i wounder if the drivers side collector bolts could use a little more of a crank? also, dont forget to check the antifreeze in the morning. i remembered when i got home, i didnt put any in your overflow tank.

Congrats on the completion of a great project:chug:

:burnout:

Thanks Rick!

For me, this was a big deal. Nothing like seeing a project to successful completion.
I can hardly wait to get this thing broken in, add the smaller M90 pulley and water/meth. Then the chant starts....

Dyno, Dyno, Dyno........

I'm finding the trans is shifting much sooner for the given amount of acceleration I used to have. Under normal city driving, the trans shifts around 2000 rpm.

Tonight I'll see if I can fix the exhaust leak myself. If I'm struggling, its off to the guys that installed my custom exhaust. Their pretty reasonable, so it wouldn't cost much.

hahaha. yup. that has been tie wrapped down since that startup.

I have another, more upsetting issue.
Oil leak, at where the oil pan meets trans, right in the centre.
So, its either rear main, or oil pan gasket.

Just before the motor was going in, it looked like there was oil around the lower gasket. I re-torqued the lower oil pan gasket bolts, and in she went. oops. Looking at it now, I think it was the upper pan gasket, right around where it meets the rear main area.

What I think happened is this: I loosened the main oil pan bolts that seat to the main caps, and torqued the upper pan on. Then I torqued the oil pan torx bolts againts the main before bolting up. I kept going around and around to get the correct torque spec, and that was too much. I lifted the upper pan away from the pan to block gasket just enough.

So, I think I can get the bottom pan cover off, and loosen all bolts and re-do. Hopefully that will take care of the issue. If Im right, this will fix the issue with the motor still in the truck.

If it was just a few drops, id live with it, but...its puddle city.
I just can't see that motor coming out again.

I have a few choice (or not so choice) words.

Sounds like your leak is right where mine is and I know mine is the rear main. I know a couple guys that have had to pull motors out after a fresh build because of rear main leakage. But I'd definitely go with trying to fix the pan if you thinks that's the problem. Btw it sounds awesome and that supercharged is really somethin sittin on there. Can't wait for an in car vid of that thing with your foot burried in the floor:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Its snowing pretty hard here, so traction isnt good.

I was pretty happy with the brown wire mod tonight. The oldest asked "can you do dognuts in this?". So, being the responsible parent I am, I flipped the switch and drove sideways around our cove. The good thing is that he doesn't drive my truck, and the other vehicles are front wheel drive.

Im such a bad parent.

On the oil leak...I sure hope my planned fix does it. The rubber gasket on the lower pan cover will still be ok, so it only costs me the oil in the pan, and some time. That and some cursing while oils dripping on me.

JD, when you installed your headers, did you use sealant around the header gasket to header? I didn't, and I'm thinking that might be my exhaust tick. I tighten'd my egr, and collector bolts, but still have tick. Its really not bad at all though.

i want to close my eyes now......

its puddling? when we did the break in, everything seemed ok. we wont be pulling the motor. i would rather pull the trans if its a rear main. but if its the pan gasket........:(

Its snowing pretty hard here, so traction isnt good.

I was pretty happy with the brown wire mod tonight. The oldest asked "can you do dognuts in this?". So, being the responsible parent I am, I flipped the switch and drove sideways around our cove. The good thing is that he doesn't drive my truck, and the other vehicles are front wheel drive.

Im such a bad parent.

On the oil leak...I sure hope my planned fix does it. The rubber gasket on the lower pan cover will still be ok, so it only costs me the oil in the pan, and some time. That and some cursing while oils dripping on me.

JD, when you installed your headers, did you use sealant around the header gasket to header? I didn't, and I'm thinking that might be my exhaust tick. I tighten'd my egr, and collector bolts, but still have tick. Its really not bad at all though.
Nope.i used a set of metal gaskets tho.im willing to bet its just the cam and headers sounding like a leak.i had the same thing and some others have had what sounded like a leak but there is none.i searched for days,its just noisy or more noticeable when its camed and not cast manifolds .or i hope thats what it is for you.did you use rtv at all the corners and on the little piece of plastic thing that goes in the rear cap.(wish i had a pic,hard to explain)

i think jd's talking about here (red circle)

5_0_Medium_.jpg

sorry don. its from my 5L, but its in the same area.

Yep that's it,thanks.what's that little thing called:(lol. i cover that thing with rtv and all in those corners.sometimes you gota tap it down and make sure its totally flush.might not be related at all but have seen it leak there on other motors.I've seen people forget to put it in.

Yes, I did put sealant on both sides at that spot, but....I pulled my pan to see what was going on with those hex bolts you spoke about JD. Im wondering if that disturbed it.

I wonder what the odds are of dropping the whole pan. Even if it won't come off, dropping it would be good enough to sneek at new gasket in there with a crap load of sealant on both sides in those corners.

Yes, I did put sealant on both sides at that spot, but....I pulled my pan to see what was going on with those hex bolts you spoke about JD. Im wondering if that disturbed it.

I wonder what the odds are of dropping the whole pan. Even if it won't come off, dropping it would be good enough to sneek at new gasket in there with a crap load of sealant on both sides in those corners.

Figured you did.does it leak when its not running?first step i would do is clean the crap out it and see where its coming from.sure you have been getting a face load already trying to see.biggest thing to remember man is things always happen,as long as its not mechanical its just the odds kicking you.stay positive;)looks,sounds and runs good!!;)

It's impossible to see, as the trans is in the way. I'm 99.9% sure the issue is right around that half circle at the back. Right where you guys think it is.

The right thing to do is change both gaskets using a boatload of sealant around the back half circle corners. Question is...can it be done with transfer attached, and just lift the motor slightly?

do you want the engine picker back at your place? i have to make a run down to the u.s. boarder for....um....you know....not sure if i am going there tomorrow, or on sat. if i go there tomorrow, i can drop it there on my way past. i can give you a hand if you need it, just not sure what day i will be free. thats the only part.

oh, if you do, send me a text in case i dont read this in time

I think I'll pick up the appropriate gaskets.
Then I'll see if my 1/4 inch ratchet and torx style head will fit thru those two little holes to undo those 2 hex bolts holding the upper pan on.

I think if I can get those off, I wont need to pull the trans. Even if I van drop the pan about 3 inches I should be able to fish out the old gasket, and install a new one with a crap load of sealer at the back.

I'm not completely hopeful on those two bolts though.

I sure hope I don't need that picker.

Okay, spent a few minutes tonight on The truck.

1. Noise was getting worse, so I was really hoping to find an exhaust leak. I did. Cracked egr tube off the header. Fix? I picked up some jb weld high heat paste earlier today. I'm curious if it will hold. Worst case, a new egr pipe and a bunch of swearing.

2. Oil leak. The t30 wrench I picked up isn't long enough. JD had said he just uses a 1/4 inch t30 socket. Mine wouldn't fit (it was close). Solution...drill and drill bit. I'm good to go now.
The starter will have to come off. I just need to check with Tim on what tool combination he used to get that top bolt off the starter. I really think I will be able to redo the new gasket without pulling the motor up. I won't be able to remove the pan, but that's not my goal anyway. As long as there's room to clean, get a boat load of sealant in the areas shown earlier and get the new gasket on, I'm good.

Back