Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 87 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Still nothing for me....if this tune fixed it that's awesome!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be the PTU seal has gone. It might also be advisable to check your transmission fluid level to be on the safe side. Note that there is no dipstick.

Peter

Hi Peter -- there is an oil dipstick in front of the engine (I'm pretty sure it is one)

Update on the issue: there was a small gash in my oil filter, which caused oil to spew out along the exhaust system and all over the rear of my car. A very nice Ford service rep in CT put my Ex on a lift, found the issue, replaced it, and gave my car a wash in 30 mins.

Just a note though about the whole exhaust smell, the burning oil smell was the same as the exhaust smell coming through the cabin. Maybe a very small oil problem could be what people are smelling, too?

Hi Peter -- there is an oil dipstick in front of the engine (I'm pretty sure it is one)

Update on the issue: there was a small gash in my oil filter, which caused oil to spew out along the exhaust system and all over the rear of my car. A very nice Ford service rep in CT put my Ex on a lift, found the issue, replaced it, and gave my car a wash in 30 mins.

Just a note though about the whole exhaust smell, the burning oil smell was the same as the exhaust smell coming through the cabin. Maybe a very small oil problem could be what people are smelling, too?
Yes there is a dipstick for the engine oil, but none for the transmission. Glad to hear that your problem was found and fixed.:thumbsup:

Peter

Burnt oil smell 2012

Hello All, I haven't been here for a while but I have a question has anyone had that burn oil smell during hard acceleration? The dealer is telling me I just need to have the transmission flush and that will take care of it.
Just wanted to know if anyone had this before I spend $200.00 on the flush.

Thanks.

After how hard i drove it today. (As in trying my 0-60 time from 3 red lights)....and putting about 80 miles on it....my oder is 100% gone since i installed my tune...again i have a 14 sport running a 93 oct tune from livernois

Would mean it's not how the exhaust is built or anything like that ect...but how the engine is running..has to be

Hello All, I haven't been here for a while but I have a question has anyone had that burn oil smell during hard acceleration? The dealer is telling me I just need to have the transmission flush and that will take care of it.

Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
As you can see, I have merged your thread with this 86 page thread that Rick pointed out on the same issue.

Peter

My Explorer is in the shop as we speak.
The odor getting into my vehicle was just crazy and with the weather being at 115F in the shade opening the window is not an option.
I hope they will get this issue resolved today.
Ford Customer support and the Dealer and this forum have been real helpful with this unfortunately situation.
The Explorer sure is a comfortable ride.
Anyway I will follow up with an update and keep you guys posted!

I haven't had the bad smell in almost two months now. i guess the people that said it would go away on its own were right. :)

My Explorer is in the shop as we speak.
The odor getting into my vehicle was just crazy and with the weather being at 115F in the shade opening the window is not an option.
I hope they will get this issue resolved today.
Ford Customer support and the Dealer and this forum have been real helpful with this unfortunately situation.
The Explorer sure is a comfortable ride.
Anyway I will follow up with an update and keep you guys posted!

Received my car back as promised at 6:00 PM yesterday afternoon. Dealership performed all work as per TSB.
I was real worried that they would not be able to fix the problem since so many of you ended up going back to the dealership multiple times.
All I can say is this that my dealership did an outstanding job fixing this issues and resolving the problem.
I am extremely satisfied with how the whole thing was handled by Ford and the dealership!
No more bad smell during hard execrations! I also notice that I now have condensation water dripping from my rear bumper which is also an indication that previously the water must just have sat in there.
Thank you Ford Customer support and thanks to this webpage for guiding me in the right direction.

I just picked up my 16 Explorer Sport on Friday and after a day of driving it on the highway and in stop-and-go traffic, I haven't noticed a burning smell. The A/C is on auto if that matters.

Am I right in assuming that none of the 2016 owners are experiencing this smell issue yet? Maybe too early to tell?

I just picked up my 16 Explorer Sport on Friday and after a day of driving it on the highway and in stop-and-go traffic, I haven't noticed a burning smell. The A/C is on auto if that matters.

I think it is a hit or miss but I don't know Ford might has fixed the problem on the 2016's?
Anyway congrats to your new Sport, very beautiful SUV!

I experienced the rotten egg smell today for the first time, when accelerating hard. I only have ~800 miles on my 2016 sport. Most of the time I drive during rush hour, hardly any interstate, so really hard acceleration is not possible. Today, however, I got a chance and took it (getting through a still green light). And there it was, rotten egg/sulphur smell.
Could it be the catalytic convertor, "burn in" or do I need to brace myself for a long journey?
I read a lot here in this thread, and I'm a little bit panicking right now.

Haven't talked to my dealer yet. I first want to see if I can reproduce it.

Thanks.

Well I took my 2012 Explorer XLT to the dealer, and it was the worst experience ever. When I was explaining to the service adviser the problem and the smell, this is when the trouble started. Peggy the service adviser began to tell me that my fuel tank sits under my second row seats and during hard acceleration my fuel swishes to the back of the gas tank and causes fumes. I completely lost it on this woman telling me my children are in danger with fuel fumes. More so anyone in the vehicle if it were fuel fumes. I have never heard of anything so crazy in all of my life. Those of you have had this and the dealer was able to repair it did they tell you what it could be?

I experienced the rotten egg smell today for the first time, when accelerating hard. I only have ~800 miles on my 2016 sport. Most of the time I drive during rush hour, hardly any interstate, so really hard acceleration is not possible. Today, however, I got a chance and took it (getting through a still green light). And there it was, rotten egg/sulphur smell.
Could it be the catalytic convertor, "burn in" or do I need to brace myself for a long journey?
I read a lot here in this thread, and I'm a little bit panicking right now.

Haven't talked to my dealer yet. I first want to see if I can reproduce it.

So that confirms that the 2016 still have the same issue.
Idk but for a $50K car you would think Ford would be working on a fix.
Britta I had the same problem and got it fixed by the dealership.
There is still a slight smell but nothing like before.
Good luck.

I got my 2015 limited back this afternoon after 2 days in the shop for the TSB fix. They haven't had to do a 2015 yet they said and it needed different parts than the previous year models...so they said. I had to rent a car for yesterday and the dealer picked up today's rental. But when I got it on the highway to test it, same exhaust smell came back. I called my service writer right away and he advised me to call Ford customer service and they have started a case for me. I should hear from the representative tomorrow.

What irritates me is I bought this to help my 92 year old mother be able to still go places without any assistance getting in and out of the vehicle. I had a 2014 Silverado and a 2008 Tundra before and never had an issue at all and I really liked my truck. So it's frustrating that I did this to make it easier, but right now it's harder....and this isn't the only issue I've had to take it back in for.

So let's hope for the best...

Its been a while so I wanted to post an update. Ford denied my request to reacquire my 2014 with the horrible burning exhaust smell after leading me along for a while. There was a tiny moment there when I thought Ford was going to do the right thing. It appears I am on my own now. Long story short:

1. Fords regional field service tech told my dealership they had done all they could do and that Ford was aware of this smell and sometimes they can not fix it. I was told to contact Ford customer service and try to get them to buy back.

2. During the buyback process Fords regional customer service rep told me to take it to another dealership. When I explained number 1 above she then told me that the smell was considered normal.

3. When I asked how a horrible burning exhaust smell if normal for a $42000 Ford, I was told she could no longer assist me and that her correspondence with me was done and that I should fill out lemon law paper work if I wanted to. When I asked why my claim was being denied after all I had explained to her and the weeks I had waited, she refused to answer saying it was proprietary.

So I am in the process of going the lemon law route on my own after weeks wasted with Ford hoping they would do the right thing. I could trade this in tomorrow and be done with it buts its a matter of principle now.

I had to take it on vacation recently as I had no other large car to carry everything. Under normal interstate driving with cruise control it stunk horribly every time cruise control had to go up a small hill here in FL. So this is not some extreme driving condition, this is normal every day stuff. We had to ride a few hours on the interstate with the windows down!

So yes I am a bit ticked off. So at this point I can truly say Ford SUCKS! Ford customer service SUCKS! I will never buy another Ford again in my life and neither will anyone in my family. Totally unacceptable that after 5-6 years there is still a problem on this car and people are still getting the run around.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford has gotten back with me and told me that I have to take it back to the dealer again. They act like they don't believe me and I feel insulted by it. I haven't demanded a thing, just called them like my dealer told me to. I have several other issues to take it in for plus the exhaust issue. I really don't have enough patience and time to deal with this.

I'm so close to trading it in for another brand of vehicle and just take the hit financially. My father owned all Fords from 1948 until 2002 when he was dissatisfied with customer service. Loyalty didn't mean squat back then and looks like it hasn't changed.

Back