Body roll problem solved | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Body roll problem solved

Capone, it is a huge relief. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What model and year is that rear bar from?

Ah, EE is aftermarket. I didn't know what that was.
I'm looking for another big stock one that I can get at the PnP. I've got a lot of different options in my head but haven't figured out what to do yet.
Thanks
Aaron

Sorry, that EE was Explorer Express. They used to be a popular aftermarket source for suspension bits for the Explorers about ten years ago. They had the best quality parts, and that largest rear bar. The only other choices aftermarket I think are under 1" sized, two brands I don't recall.

The 95-01's may all be identical in the rear bar size, one size, and it may also be the same size as the 91-94 bar. They are tiny, the least you should do is replace all of the rubber mounting bushings with urethane, that will greatly improve the effectiveness.

So, the motion as I understand it is from the springs rebounding essentially too aggressively and the shocks being unable to keep up with the dampening, once it starts in motion it basically bounces back and forth. Which would explain why on the original 4 or 4.5 inch lift springs that came on it, it wasn't a problem as the springs were crazy stiff. I ditched those springs in favor of some stock springs which were old and soft and a SOA swap with a second gen rear end (for the disc brakes) and developed the problem.

I was reading that some other people have just fixed the problem by running basically more expensive shocks. It depends on who you talk to as to which type of shock you run, but basically any of the higher end high performance shocks seem to do the trick to control the spring rebound. Most of those guys say they don't even run a sway bar and have no problems doing highway speeds.

This may be the direction I go as with the SOA job the shocks are now mounted to the sway bar mounts. It's not ideal as they don't bolt flush but I have a plan to correct that. Plus I plan on trailering it most of the time as 1) it is only a toy and not a daily and 2) I am the type of wheeler who is not afraid to break it and drag it home. But there are times where I will do short stretches of highway driving in between trail systems etc.

Back