• Register Today It's free!

Brake upgrade options..

CdnCory

Reaction score
City, State
B.C, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 2-door
I am looking to upgrade my brakes. The rears were always spongey, narrowed it down to the auto adjusters, and the cables on them were broken. Fixed them, then installed my stereo. I am guessing there is an extra 200 lbs in the cargo area plus I dynamatted everywhere accept the floor. Now you really have to push the brakes to get the thing to stop.

Are there any options to increase the braking power? I was thinking slotted/drilled rotors, and a good set of pads, but I dont really think that'll do the trick.

Thanks in advance,
Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don’t think you need better brakes, I think you just got air in the lines. Try bleeding them out to fresh new brake oil. You should notice a great difference especially if that stuff is old (OR STOCK!)

Not much in the way of better brakes for a first gen.. You can get these: http://www.appliedrotortechnology.com/ But they are expensive. You can get new front rotors that are drilled and/or slotted, & better pads. The next option would be to swap out the rear drums for disks. There are writeups on it, or you can swap the whole rear axle with a newer one that has disks.

Definately flush out your brake lines with new fluid. Your brakes will feel much better and not be spongey. Another cheap method instead of upgrading right away is to get your rotors and drums machined ( if not already done once) and replace the pads, and drum shoes with some better quality ones. That way everything is nice an true. Did it to mine and the brakes never felt so good and my truck is not that old..

id check the runout on the rotors. If its below .004 then you should be good from warping.

I would still advise the resurfacing to remove the glazing that can occur. This would attribute to brake fade. And a set of new pads would mate nicely with new surface.

You should always resurface or replace. Its just foolish not too.

Also if the peddal isnt soft it isnt an issue with air. Though I would recomend a good flush air would make the peddal soft.

Have you checked the vacumn lines and rubber gromet to the brake booster?

I put s/s brake lines on the front and the single line to the diff. They do not swell under pressure like stock ones do and it made a huge difference in pedal feel. Your vehicle is more than 10 years old, if they are still original then I would replace them for sure and flush the fluid and put new brake fluid in. :thumbsup:

If you want to upgrade the size of the back brakes you should check into rear brakes for a ford crown vic, if you can find an older one with a 8.8 like a station wagon they are the same pattern but you want to make sure they are the same width as yours and swap the backing plate and drums. You will have to pull the axles out to get the backing plates off... atleast this is a start, you may evan look at the ford aerostar van and see if the rear are usable.

you can also use the front brakes from a 96 and later ranger with I beams. They use a 2 piston caliper with a better rotor design. you have to swap the whole spindles, rotors, calpiers and brackets, etc. but will bolt up the beams and brakelines

Back