1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Can't get fuel filter off...

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Fast 96 Asp, September 28, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Fast 96 Asp

Fast 96 Asp New Member

City, State:
      New Hampshire
      Year and Model:
      96 XLT
      I have the clips and I got the front hose off, but the back one simply will not come off. I have to leave for class in 30 minutes and my Ex is on the lift in the garage. HELP!!!! Why the hell won't the rear fuel line come off?

Edit: I disconnected the switch my the passenger door and let the truck run until it died, but when the front line came off there was still a lot of pressure. Could this be affecting anything? HELPPPPPPPPP

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Blee1099

Blee1099 Evil Asian Moderator Emeritus EF Vendor

City, State:
      Elkridge, MD
      Year and Model:
      Do you have the fuel disconnect tool? If so is it the plastic or the metal one. I found that the metal ones are far superior than the plastic tools.

4. Fast 96 Asp

Fast 96 Asp New Member

City, State:
      New Hampshire
      Year and Model:
      96 XLT
      I have the plastic ones. Many people have said they are much better than metal, and I know its slim, but plactis won't create sparks. This tool has worked fine on my F350. I'm thinking it's because there was still a lot of pressure in the lines. Would that affect the rear line from gas tank>filter? Or is the pressure mostly filter>engine?

5. DeRocha

DeRocha NEX Vice President Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Brockton, MA
      Year and Model:
      '93 XLT 4x4
      Its not pressure (Pressure would actually help the lines come apart) its the tool not reaching all the fingers which are holding the fuel line in place. Check out the
      Fuel Filter Removal Thread for lots of info and pics.