Changing trans and rear differential fluid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing trans and rear differential fluid

hondaslave1342

Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Sport Trac XLT
I have a 2005 Ford Sport Trac that has been in our family since new and wanting to change both fluids..It currently has 311,200 miles..and yes its on the original timing chain components...about the rear..i have the correct fluid and the inhibitor but how do i drain..i see the fill bolt but no drain..if i remove cover do i replace gasket..
On the transmission i have motorcraft v fluid and filter..mine has a dipstick so my guess it back through that..i appreciate everyone's advice..thanks

Yes, you pull the diff cover. Some use a new gasket, some just use a quality sealant like RTV black. Some use a gasket and sealant. Most common is probably just sealant.

The transmission gets filled through the dipstick. You can use a cheap pump and thin tube to suck a bunch from the pan through the dipstick to make less mess dropping the pan. You can also measure what comes out, and put the same back in.

I use Ultra Black RTV. A gasket is not necessary, just follow the directions on the tube. Works better than a gasket. The diff cover(s) would have come from the factory with just sealant. When filling, put the friction modifier in first (rear diff only) and then fill with fluid until it starts to dribble out of the fill hole. It will take between 2.5-3 qts of 75W140 full synthetic gear oil to fill the rear diff.

If you've got a 4WD, you will not be able to remove the front diff cover w/out removing the entire diff. I'd just use a transfer pump on the front to suck out as much old fluid as possible and refill with 80w90 gear oil. No harm in using the full synthetic in the front, just not necessary and it's pricey at around $20 a qt.

If a 4WD don't format to change the t-case fluid too.

Back