silly question regarding transmission fluid refill | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

silly question regarding transmission fluid refill

oz16us

Reaction score
City, State
Brandon, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
i've never changed transmission fluid before, so pardon if this is a silly question...I read instructions on how to replace the filter and gasket, but if I'm not mistaken, I refill it up at the dipstick? but the dipstick has a tiny hole? Do I have to get a cone that small? I've never put fluid through the dipstick before. Roughly, how many quarts would I need. I'm not doing a flush. Just taking down the pan. Thx in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

on average 5-6 quarts of mercon V are needed for a pan/filter drop. also it is a pain to fill through the dip stick. get a tiny funnel (all over the walls right next to the oils) the upper radiator hose pick it up and pull it forward gently over the oil filler neck. the trans dipstick is there under the hose.

I just did my trans service last weekend. It took almost 6 quarts of oil. We just used a funnel like 05dakotatrac said and filled right through the dipstick. Took less than an hour for the service, very easy and noticeably better shifting right away.

should I stick to the ford/motorcraft brand to be safe?

honestly anything that says its SAE approved and is mercon V should work

Back