Convert 8.8 31 Spline to Selectable Lock | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Convert 8.8 31 Spline to Selectable Lock

2001Redge

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ranger
I am considering installing an Eaton Elocker into the differential of my 2001 Ranger 4X4. I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience using this selectable locker? I don't do a lot of 4 wheeling but I want something that will get me out of trouble if needed. Recommendations? I don't really want to install a Detroit Locker because the truck is driven on the street a lot with icy roads (Colorado).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just as an FYI, your ranger doesn't have a 31 spline axle unless it's an FX4 LVL II or you swapped in an explorer axle

All I know of the Elocker is from guys who do wheel the crap out of their rigs. And they break them. A lot.

Street only application, I would have to assume it would fair much better.

Me personally, I have the Eaton Trutrac (front and rear). And while I don't drive mine in the street much (and even less when it's icy/snowy) it does perform great offroad (dirt or snow). And it's 100% invisible. It's a torsion limited slip that uses gears so it engages on its own. So no fun buttons to push or switches to throw, just traction when I need it, the first time I need it.

I have had a Elocker in the front axle (high pinion Dana 44) of my Explorer for about a year now. Works great, locks up every time and is very quiet.

I think you would need a 28 spline locker for the Ranger 8.8

My Auburn Ected only took a month of fun street driving to wear it out to where it doesn' lock up anymore. I'm pretty sure between the shift kit and the rollin smoke of 2nd gear burnouts might have something to do with it. I have had stock l/s units hold up longer (and break in half too). My new choice for the rear is a Yukon Grizzly locker.

All I know of the Elocker is from guys who do wheel the crap out of their rigs. And they break them. A lot.

Are they Jeep Rubicon lockers? If so, they break because Jeep insisted on a limited slip to locker type application and Eaton designed what they wanted. It is a POS. The Elocker is a completely different design that has been tested and used successfully in race and hard-core off road applications. I got mine after speaking with a few shop owners who specialize in differentials. They stated that if they were not going with a Detroit and needed a selectable, that the Elocker was their first choice. I went with a selectable locker because I had an ARB in the D35 before I went SAS and liked to be able to steer. I got spoiled and knew I would not be happy with a full-time front locker. That said, in a rear locker application, I have had a Detroit in my 8.8 for ten years and it has functioned flawlessly. I have driven it on ice and snow. You have to watch your skinny pedal application.

Consider something like a Powertrax No Slip. Its easy to install and unlocks when not under power. I did not have great luck with them, but I also had 5:13 gears which is not recommended for the No Slip. When it blew on the Rubicon trail, Powertrax warrantied it and I got a new one, which I sold to someone else.

Thanks for the responses and yes, I think you are correct, it is a 28 spline, not 31. I don't see an Eaton ELocker for a 28 spline so I may install the Detroit Truetrac.

Excellent choice!

Excellent choice. ^^^ I run one in the front of mine and it does really well and would be a perfect fit for what your describing! :thumbsup:

Back