Custom Switch Panel - HELP!

Capt343

Reaction score
City, State
WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
Hey everyone!

I want to install a custom switch panel using Carling V-Series switches. There will be a total of 5 switches. My first thought was to remove the sunglasses holder from the OEM Dome Light assembly and have a plate fabbed to fit that area with the five switches. When I get to the shop tomorrow I will take measurements and see if the switches+wires will fit into that depth.

Here is my question to you all: Where else can I put these switches? There really isn't a good place for them and I don't want to do much more drilling than I already have (I had emergency lights installed, and I'm going to redo EVERYTHING so that it works off those switches and respective relays). Have any of you put in a switch panel? Let me hear your thoughts!

Specs: 2016 Ford Explorer XLT, 3.5L V6, No sunroof.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not home right now nor do I have my explorer to look at. I would take the area on the front of the console that is covered with the door, that you can never close. Bring the 12V power point up and the USB connector up with the switch panel and use the space to run wires etc.

I am not home right now nor do I have my explorer to look at. I would take the area on the front of the console that is covered with the door, that you can never close. Bring the 12V power point up and the USB connector up with the switch panel and use the space to run wires etc.

Good call! I'll look into that. I did think of putting the switch panel there, but wasn't quite sure how I'd do that without deleting the USB and 12v completely. I never thought to bring them up with to the switch panel. I'll look at it tomorrow at the shop and see how easy it is to take that door apart. Fingers crossed that it's an easy removal and I don't have to break stuff. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

If you want something more compact I would suggest spending some more money and get for example a Switch Pros panel (apparently they just updated to a newer model, the one I have is the SP-8100, looks like the only change is that the lights are now RGB rather than a fixed color).

I posted in the "what did you do to your explorer today" thread with some pictures of mine installed (before I put labels on the buttons), it works flawlessly and you can program the switches to do more than just switch on/off (memory, momentary, flashing, etc). Their amp-rating on the switches is also really high, plus they have one that has support for a 30 amp accessory (winch for example). When I was doing measurements for it, I was considering putting it where the sunglass holder is (but in the end opted for down by my leg as my switches rarely get used and I didn't want something glowing in the corner of my eyes).

Update: found out my employer already makes plates that fit in the center console flip-up compartment, so that's what I'll be doing.

I appreciate the suggestion for a pre-made panel, but I work in for an emergency vehicle upfitter, and we have a Fab shop so that would be easier for me. Plus, I need better access to my switches than down by my feet, and if I bump them that can cause problems. I'll be getting custom stwitch actuators from Rocker Switch Pros, and we can order to the switch bodies I want direct from Carling.

I'll try to remember to get pictures when it's all done and post them here! I'll be adding a ton of lights too. Thanks for the help guys!

Back