Dana 44 and 3 link install | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dana 44 and 3 link install

Since the AZ wheeling season is finally upon us, I decided it was time to put my new truck in the shop for a little tweaking to better handle the trails around here. A little about what I started with:
97Picture_189-med.jpg

Specs: 5 speed, manual tcase, 5.13's, discs and no slip in rear, 37 MTR's(street) and 36 TSL's(rocks).

The goal for this project was to build something that was able to drive to the hardest trails in AZ, run them successfully, and then drive home. It must also be able to be driven everyday as this is my main source of transportation. All decisions were made with a bias towards trail performance, instead of street comfort.

Build Specs:

Dana 44 - Left over from my last project.
- Warn shafts, CTM's, Detroit, 5.13's, Hi-steer setup, etc.
King Coilovers - 14" travel, 2" body
King Airbumps - 4" travel
Custom 3 link w/ panhard rod

All fabrication work is being performed by 4 Wheelers Supply here in Phoenix.

Work started Monday. Progress as of lunch today.
64DSC00705.jpg

Old front end has been stripped out, frame rail have been ground smooth in preperation for reinforcement plating, axle location has been determined, ride height is set. Items in the engine compartment have been relocated in preperation for the shock hoops and the crossbar that will connect them across the engine bay(next two pics).
64DSC00708.jpg

64DSC00707.jpg

I hope to stop in again at the shop Tues or Wed next week (it is a 45 drive away) and have better progress pics of the actual layout of the links, as well as the hoops for the coilovers.

Estimated completion date is sometime the first week of December.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Drool

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Mmmmmmm Full-On Tubular Chubbie!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Excuse me for about 15 min. :confused:

perrrty ;)

looks nice michael. i cant wait to see the pics of it completed. that explorer was pimp when kris had it. now its gonna be bulletproof.

they do good work... Hmmm I might just have to take my new project there when I am ready for the SAS... might be worth the Drive to AZ. But I mihgt just have TAG do it anyway

Any updates

Kris,
Bring it up here and let my feb shop do it. You should see the 100,000 dollar Poison Spiders rig they just built on 49's.

Looks great Michael! Its exciting to see my old truck going solid :)

Waiting for updates! :)

Kris Guilbeaux said:
Any updates

I went down there yesterday, but forgot my camera. It is moving along, but there is little difference visually. The knuckles and steering arms are in so the final welding of all the brackets and tabs is being done. The rear end is done (just swaping shafts and wheels to match new bolt pattern) and back on the ground, I'll need to trim a little to get the tire to fit up in the wheel well or I may just let it self clearance :p . I don't think it will be done tomorrow, probably mid next week. I'll still need to take it to an exhaust shop to have it rerouted. Then it will be time to test and see what, if anything, we need to change.

Trckmagik said:
Looks great Michael! Its exciting to see my old truck going solid :)

Brian, I may be back in TX at my moms for the holidays. If I am we'll have to get together so we can visit our old rides :thumbsup: .

Ah TX for the holidays. I fly into Houston on the 21st, rent a car and drive to Galveston.

Any get togethers going on down there this time of year?

We've got something going on Sunday with Sam. If it's ready your invited!

Rick said:
We've got something going on Sunday with Sam. If it's ready your invited!

Sounds like a plan. Hey, where do you go for your CO2 fills, I need to do mine?

Michael...
Bring it sir. I will have the centurion here and you can see RedBull with its new stance and 3 link'd rear :)

Michael said:
Sounds like a plan. Hey, where do you go for your CO2 fills, I need to do mine?

Phoenix Welding Supply. It's on 7th St. just South of Bank One Ball Park. Or Chase Field or whatever it's called this week ;)

You can get there from I-10 by heading South on 7st, or from I-17 by heading North on 7st.

Completion date has been moved to Dec 9. Delays in getting parts and the Turkey Day holiday got us behind.

Well, it looks like I'm out for wheelin' this Sunday too. My personal hydraulic pump seems to be having some problems and my doctor wants me checked out by a Cardiologist on Monday. Until then I'm going to be taking it easy. I feel ok, but I threw an abnormal rythem when he hooked me up to the OBD II diagnostics at my doctors office this morning;)

Yikes Rick. I hope that everything will work out okay.

Looks great there Michael. Good luck Rick.

Back