Detail help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Detail help

HEy all-

I am going to a truck show this month on the 22nd. My X has some trail pin striping as i wheel with it often. Nothing is to bad mostly all clear coat. What can i use to get these out? I do not have a buffer, and i am willing to spend as much time as needed to get her looking great!

I went to a local detail shop and they said like 250 to do everything. I would rather not spend that much any ideas?

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats AL i will look into it.. Wish me luck i an entering this event :)

I knwo there will not be many if any late model lifted X's!

But i also here there are 4000 trucks there.

I think those shows are fun to enter, if for no other reason then to hang out near your vehicle and have people say "hey, cool truck!" :). I've entered my truck in one so far and it was a blast even though I didn't win anything, its a good excuse to get the truck really really really clean :).
I've heard that Z5 is good stuff, pretty much any wax will be able to fill in small surface scratches, but if they go beyond the clearcoat, forget about it, only way to get em out is to repaint. GS27 is a joke, as is the meguiars equivalent. They advertise someone keying a car and then just rubbing this miracle stuff on, and no sweat the scratch is gone! I tried GS27 on my F-150 and it didn't take out some of the surface scratches even that a simple coat of wax did!

By the way, another possible idea is rubbing compound. not recommended for heavy use, but did take SOME of the scratches out of my f-150 when I sideswiped that pole coming back from Attica. It won't take the big scratches out but might make them less noticeable. Just swirl into the scratch.

Originally posted by mattadams
GS27 is a joke, as is the meguiars equivalent. They advertise someone keying a car and then just rubbing this miracle stuff on, and no sweat the scratch is gone! I tried GS27 on my F-150 and it didn't take out some of the surface scratches even that a simple coat of wax did!

Hey you tried that on MY truck first just to make sure it wouldn't damage your lovely paint job. LOL It didn't do anything though....

yep, gotta test on someone elses first if it can harm your stuff :). It's useless, actually its funny, TOm Martino (for those not in Denver, hes our local "troubleshooter" who puts products with outrageous claims to the test to see if they worked or not, did a test on GS27. Even he laughed at hte product. he said most products with outrageous claims at least do SOMETHING, this GS27 just rubs on and rubs off without making even a minor impact on even surface scratches.

I don't really plan on winning anything, it will just be cool to see what people say, and maybe I will win something!

Either way I hear this is the biggest 4x4 event in the US :) hey maybe I can get a sponsor

Looks like Zaino is gunna be on my truck soon!

Just a tip on using rubbing compound on scratches.
Run your thumb nail across the scratch slowly. If it stops the scratch is to deep to use Rubbing compound.

Or just get some buffing style compound...and it'll rub out. I've had the same problem and used 3m stuff

Pete

Back