1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Duralast Brake Pads

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by 2005_Explorer, January 31, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 2005_Explorer

2005_Explorer New Member

City, State:
      Texas
      Year and Model:
      '05 Explorer
      My 2005 Ford Explorer just passed the 50K mileage mark and I'm due for a set of new brake pads. I've called around a couple places and it seems the dealership wants to put on Motorcraft pads while another shop wants to use Duralast semi-metallic pads.

Is there a noticeable difference between these two brake pads or are they about the same quality?

I don't drive off-road, use the tow hitch, etc. - just an average commuter with flat city/highway driving - but I would like a set of pads that last another 40-50K miles, little dust, don't squeek, and don't hurt the rotors.

Will either of these brands work for my purpose or should I buy a higher quality name? Should I have any concerns about going to a third-party shop to get the job done (ie-machining rotors, etc.)?

Thanks for the advice.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BrianDye

BrianDye I'll have another... Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Monroe, MI
      Year and Model:
      2006 XLT
      IMO, either will work. I have used Duralast on my last 5 vehicle brake jobs, NEVER once had a problem with squeaking, dust, premature wear, etc.

4. 2TimingTom

2TimingTom Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Littleton, Colorado
      Year and Model:
      '97 XLT
      ^Same. I'm currently running a set of Duralast Gold Cmax pads (the top of the line Duralast ceramic pads) on my '97. They stop well. No noticeable dust. I'm happy.

5. BrianDye

BrianDye I'll have another... Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Monroe, MI
      Year and Model:
      2006 XLT
      I am running just the basic 25$ front pads and honestly love em. I have power to stop when I need it, no dust, no squeaking, didnt drain my wallet, and they have a lifetime warranty.

I only bought these because I planned on tuning my whole brake system up; Drilled/Slotted rotors, steel braided lines, top of the line pads, etc.

6. 2005_Explorer

2005_Explorer New Member

City, State:
      Texas
      Year and Model:
      '05 Explorer
      Do you think there is a difference between the Duralast regular pads and Duralast Gold pads (both semi-metallic) or is this just marketing fluff?

Thanks

7. jrford

jrford Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Birmingham, MI
      Year and Model:
      '10 Sport Trac
      Can't comment on the duralasts, but just some other ideas. . .
      i have the cheapo too on my heep, paid $25 for pads and new rotors $20 cheapo Chinese chit, still stopping very well, much to my surprise For the Ex i thought i go top of the line so i went with EBC Green 6000 $80, which i like as well. Also i bought Raybestos Advance Metal rotors for $50 each. They both seem to stop very well, no dust, no sequels but for the extra $$$$ i'm hoping the EBC will last a lot longer. Overall i'm very surprised that the $65 for the heeps front and $180 for the Ex there is very little difference. I've been doing my own brakes for 30 years now.

8. pickupman6

pickupman6 Active Member

City, State:
      jack al
      Year and Model:
      2000 explorer xls 4.0 ohv
      i will never use duralast again. the last 4 sets ive got lasted about 15k tops. between the cracking and and coming apart and slinging the pad out and cuttin a brake hose i havent had any luck with them.

9. 2005_Explorer

2005_Explorer New Member

City, State:
      Texas
      Year and Model:
      '05 Explorer
      pickupman6 - Did you mostly use the duralast's for city driving? Were they on an Explorer?

Thanks

10. pickupman6

pickupman6 Active Member

City, State:
      jack al
      Year and Model:
      2000 explorer xls 4.0 ohv
      i have hem on my ex now and need to replace them with only 13k. ive put 2 sets on my accord and one set on my f150. thats the one that cut the line and totalad my truck. come to think about it i had them on my celebrity too but i didnt turn the rotors on it cause the car wasnt worth the extra 40 bucks and probably wasnt goin to last long enough to wear out a set of pads. i ended up puttin the car in an autocross at the state fair.

11. gspfunk

gspfunk Member

City, State:
      Denton, TX
      Year and Model:
      03 Exploder
      I went w/ the Wagner thermo-quiets on my 03 Explorer. They work perfectly and weren't too expensive. They've been on it for over 30k so far.

12. 2002GreyHD150

2002GreyHD150 Active Member

City, State:
      DFW, Texas
      Year and Model:
      2004 Mountaineer 4.6L AWD
      the duralast's have a great reputation for being a reliable, repeatable, OE replacement.

I personally like the Posi-Quiet Ceramics from Centric(sP) they are all over ebay & other sources.

I love Performance Friction, but for 2-3 times the $$ on the Ex/Monty platform, just not worth it.

Posi-Quiets on the WRX & the Monty right now. Wife actually commented the Monty felt easier to brake with the Posi's.... nuff said... Momma is happy... we's all happy.

Rob

13. jasongt06

jasongt06 Member

City, State:
      Virginia
      Year and Model:
      2005 XLT
      I have the Centric Posi-Quiet's & Drilled & Slotted rotors on my 05 Explorer for almost 2 years now and they are very quiet, little dust and stops better.