Fuel injector installation 2003 4.0, need answers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel injector installation 2003 4.0, need answers

javelin71

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Lincoln
I am new to the forum and in servicing the engine in this 2003 Ford Explorer, I have run into a batch of bewildering problems on this engine. The least of which was not the valve timing procedure; what was Ford thinking?

Anyway, while attempting to install the fuel injectors in the heads, I have found some petrified? seals in the upper most portion or the injector bores. I believe these were once some kind of rubber grommets that were installed on the injectors during installation. They seem baked in place and and I believe they should be removed to install new O rings and grommets. My question is, if they do indeed need to be removed, what is the preferred procedure? Obviously simply using a pick and getting under the things is not an option. Is there a special tool made for this purpose? I have considered finding a thread tap that would cut a thread in the things and then perhaps using the tap or a bolt to get a grip in them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Haven't looked at them, but why wouldn't a pick work? I've just used a small flat head on my 94.

Fuel injector installation

After posting the message, I went out to the shop and finally decided to attempt the thread tap removal method. Fortunately, I was able to run a 1/4 pipe tap by hand deeply enough into the "grommet" or whatever it's called to get a firm enough grip to pull the things out of the bores. I don't know what shape they took when installed with the injectors, but these are cylindrical about 3/8 to 1/2 inch long.

The parts kit I have includes some O rings and grommets. So, I have installed a grommet and then the O ring on each injector and I believe they are inserted snugly enough in the bores to seal. Will have to look at the fuel rails to determine if the same setup is used on the upper end of the injector.

Perhaps after these new grommets cook after a few thousand miles, they will resemble what I removed from the original setup. Hopefully I will never find out if that is true.

All orings go in round and come out square in my experience.

It's been a long time since I have attempted an engine repair of this magnitude, and this engine was certainly a new experience. There must have been a large cost savings in using this chain timing method. Seems to me like keyed sprockets would have made this a lot simpler but maybe much more expensive in the manufacturing process.

Now that I have it timed and everything torqued to spec I can't help but wonder if one of those sprockets is going to slip out of timing and destroy the whole project at some point. Even a simple procedure like torquing down the heads on this thing has me wondering. The first head I torqued down went fine until I got to torquing down the two outboard bolts,in the second stage of the 90 degree rotations, on the right head. That dry contact between bolt and head surface sure created some awesome friction. Put quite a twist in my socket to get that last 90 degrees. I used a dab of oil on the second head between the face of that bolt and the head surface. If that's a bad thing, I suppose I will find out. Maybe the bolts contained under the valve covers don't cause the same problem because there is some oil soaked into the metal in that area which reduces friction.

So anyway, thanks for the comments and hope this things works out OK.

We definitely look forward to hearing of positive results! Many often come back only if trouble occurs. Nice write-up, I, for one, appreciated it! OHC design is the only remaining engine type I have never torn apart. Hundreds of OHV engines, starting with Ford 292 60 years ago! imp

The more I look into this injector bore "insert" the more I believe it is a manufactured insert. This engine which I believe should have been a standard 4.0 for the 2 wheel drive Explorer has the balance shaft which I keep hearing is only used in 4 X 4 models. With that being the case, this was possibly a re-manufactured engine, and the re-builder used inserts in the injector bores. I recovered two of the inserts that were not disintegrated in the removal process and the outside diameter of both is .780 and the length is .415 +/-. They appear to be made of some sort of black plastic or other material. Looking at the bore in the insert it seems to be a straight bore with a slight radius-ed groove near the bottom; probably where the O ring would seat.
So, does anyone know what these things are and where they might be found? I have the engine ready to install in the vehicle, but would like to insure these injectors are properly installed. Never saw anything like this. Lot of surprises in this 4.0 engine

The more I look into this injector bore "insert" the more I believe it is a manufactured insert. This engine which I believe should have been a standard 4.0 for the 2 wheel drive Explorer has the balance shaft which I keep hearing is only used in 4 X 4 models. With that being the case, this was possibly a re-manufactured engine, and the re-builder used inserts in the injector bores. I recovered two of the inserts that were not disintegrated in the removal process and the outside diameter of both is .780 and the length is .415 +/-. They appear to be made of some sort of black plastic or other material. Looking at the bore in the insert it seems to be a straight bore with a slight radius-ed groove near the bottom; probably where the O ring would seat.
So, does anyone know what these things are and where they might be found? I have the engine ready to install in the vehicle, but would like to insure these injectors are properly installed. Never saw anything like this. Lot of surprises in this 4.0 engine

Ford Shop Manual shows only O-rings inserted into the holes in the lower manifold, no inserts of any kind. Possibly, the holes were enlarged by some rebuilder or shop, in order to use some other injectors. You have not indicated (I think) what means was sealing the O.D. of the inserts in their holes? If unsure of results coming with what you have, I would locate and buy a replacement for the lower manifold. imp

There should be o-rings AND insulators. Ford refers to them as a "fuel injector adapter". Toyota and others call them insulators. Like little hard plastic pucks.

9G512 in this diagram:

Z1pOyTs.jpg

There should be o-rings AND insulators. Ford refers to them as a "fuel injector adapter". Toyota and others call them insulators. Like little hard plastic pucks.

9G512 in this diagram:

Z1pOyTs.jpg

The diagram won't open on my view. Are we talking V-6 here, or V-8? I'll post view from shop manual later, it shows and describes only O-rings. Again, I assume these inserts are placed in the injector hole first, then the injector, with it's own O-ring seal? So, what seals the insert? Are they made of elastomer, rather than metal? Interesting discrepancy in info here. Usually, the Ford Shop Manual is pretty infallible, when compared to after-market publications. imp

The diagram won't open on my view. Are we talking V-6 here, or V-8? I'll post view from shop manual later, it shows and describes only O-rings. Again, I assume these inserts are placed in the injector hole first, then the injector, with it's own O-ring seal? So, what seals the insert? Are they made of elastomer, rather than metal? Interesting discrepancy in info here. Usually, the Ford Shop Manual is pretty infallible, when compared to after-market publications. imp

V6. Usually in the head you have a machined bore, and the hard little pucks fit tightly into the bore, and then the inject and it's o-ring go into the bore as well.

I think it's either to insulate heat (I say this because toyota and others call them insulators) or just to locate the head of the injector properly in the hole.

Not sure, to be honest. But they should be there. Almost all cars have them.

The pic I posted is from a ford service/parts catalog.

Thanks for the reply guys. That's the information I was looking for. Since I have some idea of what the things are, I will check online or with a local Ford dealer to hopefully get a set of these things. I don't know why some of them were crumbling apart, but I did get them out and didn't see anything like them listed in the Ford manual I have. It's pretty thorough for everything else concerning this engine, so maybe I missed something.

I was in the process of machining some stainless steel replacements, but since they could be referred to as insulators, perhaps steel isn't the way to go. So, now I guess I will go back to Ford with this info and perhaps be able to find the things. Does anyone's manual state a part number for them?

This is the 4.0 engine installed in a 2003 Ford Explorer. As mentioned in an earlier post, this could be an engine from a 4X4 due to the balance shaft in the engine

For reference, this is the Ford Workshop manual diagram for 4.0 engines.

explorerup.jpg

-Dubya

Thanks for the reply guys. That's the information I was looking for. Since I have some idea of what the things are, I will check online or with a local Ford dealer to hopefully get a set of these things. I don't know why some of them were crumbling apart, but I did get them out and didn't see anything like them listed in the Ford manual I have. It's pretty thorough for everything else concerning this engine, so maybe I missed something.

I was in the process of machining some stainless steel replacements, but since they could be referred to as insulators, perhaps steel isn't the way to go. So, now I guess I will go back to Ford with this info and perhaps be able to find the things. Does anyone's manual state a part number for them?

This is the 4.0 engine installed in a 2003 Ford Explorer. As mentioned in an earlier post, this could be an engine from a 4X4 due to the balance shaft in the engine

http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-adaptor_f77z-9g512-aa.html

Thanks for the reply and the parts source. Looking at the diagram that IMP sent, I did find the part number on that chart. Before ordering and waiting for parts, will first attempt with the part number to find the "adapters" locally at the Ford dealer.

Fuel iinjector iinstallation 2003 4.0

Sorry it took so long to get back to the forum, but have been laid up for awhile. I did find the adapter/insulators at the Ford dealer for a cost of about $6.50 ea. Got them into the bores, and perhaps these things would show up in some Ford manuals in the section on 4.0 heads since they do go into the bores in the heads. I now have the engine in the vehicle and finally got the radiator back into it. That was another weird design. Thanks Ford for complicating what used to be a simple procedure. I suppose on the assembly line dropping in an assembly, which contained A/C condenser, transmission cooler, and radiator eliminated a lot of steps. Wonder how much longer it would have taken to initially install the radiator with screws from the engine side?

I believe I have all the wiring and vacuum hoses connected except for one I am still fishing for. On the left side of the plenum the PCV valve plugs into the back of it, and there are two ports near the rear about 3" apart. One is used for the vacuum brake booster, and the other nearly the same sized port should feed vacuum to possibly numerous other smaller vacuum connections in the engine compartment, or possibly the HVAC system. Does anyone know what connects to this port? I've been attempting to find a photo of that area of the plenum online, but none I have found shows that particular area. My manual shows a vacuum line, but does not state what it is connected to. I believe the line is in the maze of stuff between engine and transmission, but I have yet to find it.

Does anyone know if indeed a hose slips onto that second tap coming out of the plenum, or is it possibly just capped and not used?

Back