how to remove fuel injector pintle, cap or seal? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to remove fuel injector pintle, cap or seal?

beertracker

Reaction score
City, State
Houston TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It takes some force, and since the plastic is old it is probably brittle. It'll break before coming off most likely.

I bent a nail so it has a right angle and tried pulling the pintle lower lip with vise grip but couldn't get enough force. I also tried a bolt and nut; thread the bolt through the lower pintle hole and turn the nut to lift the pintle out again no luck.

Is there a special ford tool I need to do this job? I should have pushed the explorer in the street as hurricane harvey passed over. bt

I replaced three of these about a 10 days ago. One came out with the old injector (the grommet had a vertical crack right through it).

For the other two, I rolled up some stiff paper (think dollar bill size) and stuck it into the center hole into the head. Then I took a small flat blade screwdriver and gently tapped between the wall of the opening (gentle--its aluminum) and the old, black, dry grommet. I angled the blade toward the grommet ever so slightly. The grommet will start to chip and break. Have some compressed air and maybe a vacuum nearby to clear debris as you go. Once you break a vertical groove in the old grommet, you can use a pick to pull the rest out in one piece. Blow/vacuum the debris away before removing the paper. Then alternate blowing into the air intake (large) hole in the cylinder head to push any tiny debris out of the fuel injector hole; through the fuel injector hole to blow any junk out air intake hole.

Seat the new grommet by hand (I sprayed some WD-40 around the OUTSIDE circumference to help slide it in). Find a socket or extension with the right diameter--just a hair smaller than the outside circumference of the grommet. Then tap it down to seat it. It needs to set down below the lip of the head (look at other injector holes for reference). Good luck.

Success, the pintle cap was removed from the head with ease. I sprayed a little wd-40 and let it soak then took a soldering iron and melted two vertical V grooves opposite each other. Next I gently levered out the pintle cap with a thin blade screwdriver. I blew out debris through the injector hole and intake port.with compressed air. bt

When I did mine I heated the pintle cap with a heat gun then it popped off easily.

Note: BT is not actually talking about the "pintel cap" (as is shown being cut off a fuel injector in the video posted above). He's actually talking about the much larger, black grommet into which the business end of the injector (including, yes, the pintel cap) is inserted, in the cylinder head. Acool57 has a photo of one in the thread linked above. Ford calls these things "Fuel Injector Adaptors", part no F77Z-9G512-AA.

Back